“Worst ever, you have been warned.”

The Pineapple Hotel
Ranked #60 of 77 Liverpool B&B and Inns
Paris, France
“Worst ever, you have been warned.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2012

Being a regular traveller to Liverpool and over the years having stayed in various Hotels and B&Bs I can easily say this is the worst place I have ever stayed in.

Where to start? My room was in a a place they call the "Four Seasons" which is in fact a terraced house round the corner from the hotel. No staff in this house which you share with the occupants of 4 or 5 other rooms. No controls whatever.You also share the bathroom which is easily the worst I have seen. Enamel worn away on the bathtub, dirty towels left all over the floor, Floor tiles cracked and uneven. And generally filthy.

The room I had was like an oven, this was due to what appeared to be the central heating boiler which was encased in a padlocked wooden coffret in the corner of the room. The noise was awful every time this thing fired up all night long. The bed was terrible due to the cheap and worn out mattress. I couldn't sleep due to a combination of the bed and the stifling heat.

I had to go to the "Pineapple Hotel" round the corner for my breakfast which I had been told was until 10.30am. I arrived at 10.05am and was told I was too late as no one was available to cook me breakfast. I was offered a "Continental Breakfast" of tea and toast which I declined. I requested a refund for the £5 I had paid for the breakfast and was again told that no one was available who was authorised to give me a refund.

On arrival I was immediately requested to pay cash as no other payment was acceptable. I paid £40 for 1 night. I would say this place would have been daylight robbery at £25.00.

The surrounding area is depressed you have to walk for at least 20 minutes to find somewhere to eat. Many of the streetlights were out and it is generally run down.

Room Tip: A good room would be in any other establishment you could possibly find.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank George Q
Dutch1966, Manager at The Pineapple Hotel, responded to this review, 13 December 2012
If there was a website for listing nightmare customers, this guy would be a the top of the list with 5 gold stars. On balance there is an element of truth in the review but it is laughable. Please read all reviews and form your own balance opinion. We constantly strive to improve what we do and that is always an ongoing process.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Polish first
ireland co kerry
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2012

group irish girls stayed here for 2 nites ,want to say this is not a hotel its bedrooms over a pub. nosw it was clean some rooms had no toilet shower or sink .walls paper thin. staff were lovely so was breakfast. you are a taxi ride to city .do not walk its half hour and area not great as said by taxi staff.liverpool is nice for food and shopping .

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends

Travellers are raving about these Liverpool hotels

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2012

We live in Manchester, we're aged 29 and 30. When we read the hotel was in toxteth we werent sure, even our scouse friends weren't sure. But it was £65 a night when hotels in town were £95+. It was 2 miles from lime street where we were goin- this was £5 in a taxi. The staff were lovely, as we're the visitors to the pub below who were climbing over each other to give us a taxi number!

The room was incredibly clean! We had a double ensure. It had TV, towels, tea/coffee but with no milk :( which is what we needed after a night on the town.

We had to park on the street but this wasn't a bother and there were plenty of spaces.

We'd stay again!

• Stayed July 2012
3 Thank LKF1983
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2012

The staff made our stay really enjoyable! They are friendly and welcoming and we had great banter with them! The rooms are basic but clean and all you need. The breakfast was yummy and soaked up my hangover! We will deffo come back! X

• Stayed July 2012
2 Thank Leeoa
Warrington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2012

My friend and I stayed in the Pineapple Hotel on Saturday 30th of June 2012, I got a double with ensuite and he got a single with shared facilities. When we arrived we were quickly shown the fire exits and our rooms, mine 1st floor and my friends on the 2nd.
After dropping our bags we went to the bar downstairs, this was when we found out (as 2 Evertonians) we had booked into a Liverpool FC Hotel/Bar. This could have been a problem, but the staff and clientele were wonderful and made the first part of our evening a great laugh.
I've seen some comments on the cleanliness etc. of the rooms and must disagree, they were more than adequate for our requirements and were clean.
As an added bonus the bar was still open when we got back from Liverpool city centre :)
I would stay again, though not during the season :)
I don't sleep very well at the best of times so I'm not able to give more than an average grade for the Sleep Quality.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Daniel M
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2012

Firstly can I just say it's some years since I stayed here and it does look like the more recent reviews and photos are a heck of alot better than when my husband and I stayed here.

I'm a massive fan of The Beatles so for my 21st birthday my husband booked a night at this hotel so we could do all the touristy Beatles stuff. Firstly the hotel is quite a way out of Liverpool - we caught a bus to the hotel from the bus station. it was about 20 minutes. Anyway, when we arrived the pub below was roudy (I think Liverpool were actually playing this weekend) and very smoking (it was before the smoking ban was in) It took aaages to get out room key as the staff were also serving on the bar. We got showed in to our room and as soon as the girl left us alone I burst into tears. It was disgusting. Dirty, old fashioned, the bedding was dubious to say the least. We also didn't have an ensuite room which we had requested. Never mind we thought, it won't be too bad! Little did we know the shared bathroom was even worse than the bedroom. It had a pair of ladies undies and dirty socks in the corner (this is not a lie) and no loo roll. My husband went down to explain that we'd actually booked an ensuite room to which they replied they are on a first come first serve basis and other guests had beaten us to it (even though this wasn't stated on booking) he also mentioned there was no loo roll (there still wasn't any when we "checked out" the next day) I couldn't sleep in the bed so I "slept" on top of the duvet in my clothes. I didn't even shower the next morning and the undies and socks hadn't been moved. Also the first escape on the same floor as the bedrooms was used as a smoking area for staff so the whole floor reeked of stale cigarette smoke (blagh)

It ruined my whole trip to liverpool, my 21st birthday and I still feel sick when ever I think about it. Before staying here I didn't consider myself a snob but it was just a few rooms on top of a grotty local pub at best could be described as a bedsit. Hopefully the owners who were here back then have given it up as a bad job and new owners are in and have turned it around.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank HanJar87
Some years since you were my dear. What a pointless review. I joined the family business 5 years go and the smoking ban was in existence then. In fact it came into force in July 2006 - 6 years prior to this review. During the early stages as a B&B, we were simply cheap digs for contractors but just in case others are taking this seriously, I will list what I have personally undertaken since my arrival. The whole middle floor now has new rooms ranging from 4 years to 12months old. The tatty old lounge on the ground floor has 2 brand new double en suite rooms (less than 6 months old). The top floor is currently being renovated. This building is150 years old, privately owned and as such does noes have 'multi-conglomerate money' to throw at it. However, what it does have is a hard working local family at the helm, the bar is still used by local friends and their family's and at time does get very busy. We are not perfect but we offer character and warmth. If you want cold, mechanical chain hotels or The Ritz, look elsewhere. This paragraph is not me being hostile but full of passion for what we believe in. Book early!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cheltenham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2012

This was an absolute fabulous find. Five of us went to Aintree ladies day and stayed two nights at this hotel. It was cean, comfortable and had great service, even the locals in the bar called us a cab and made sure we were looked after, there can not be a friendlier place on earth than Liverpool!
The rooms were great, cost effective, clean, we shared a bathroom but as the hotel was full of girls for laides day that only added to the fun and madness!

Breakfast fab, cooked and all the usual trimmings to help yourself too.
THis is a great family run hotel above a great friendly pub and we are re booking 7 rooms for 2013.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends