“Absolutely awful - read this review”

The Pineapple Hotel
Ranked #60 of 77 Liverpool B&B and Inns
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Absolutely awful - read this review”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2013

Stayed here on the Saturday following valentines day... it was the only hotel available within walking distance (30 minutes not 15 as claimed by the hotel) to the city centre. We decided to book as most of the reviews seemed OK and at £55 for a twin room with shared bathroom facilities it was the lowest price we could find without having to stay at the airport. Oh how we regretted not booking the Holiday Inn at the airport when we arrived!!! To start with I would not describe this place as a hotel, it is more like a hostel above a pub. We did not feel safe or feel that our valuables would be secure if we left them in the room because there was nothing to prevent people accessing the "hotel" and the rooms from the pub below and the door to the room was flimsy to say the least (should be a fire door on the third floor but anyway!..). The room was tiny with no central heating - only an oil heater (filthy) was provided. The room was no more than a box room that they seemingly had stuck an extra bed in to accommodate our booking... I suspect the second bed is not normally in use as the base was broken and leaning precariously to one side. The room was tatty and filthy and so were the communal areas. Oh and don't expect to be able to speak to a manager... they were not available when we checked in and chose to ignore our message left with the only member of staff on duty (who was also trying to run the pub on her own) asking them to contact us. I expect that the good reviews about this hotel are not genuine so to ignore the bad ones would be ill-advised! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED

Room Tip: Don't!
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Penny R
Dutch1966, Manager at The Pineapple Hotel, responded to this review, 20 October 2013
Got to say on this one, thanks for the review as we had the roof inspected and found that the whole lot needed replacing. That was done this summer. A brand new external roof - not just that room. The whole top floor has also being redecorated, not just the room you see.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Polish first
Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2013

Recently stayed here on a Saturday night with a group of 8 friends, hotel was easy to find an only 2 minutes away from the city centre a cheap taxi or £1 bus journey!
Hotel staff were friendly and always willing to help!
Hotel was clean not dirty at all!
Overall a fantastic well run hotel, and if I visit Liverpool again it will certainly be at this hotel!
Such good value for money!
Highly recommend

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank bradley f
yeovil
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 December 2012

.....when we told them we were staying in a B&B in Toxteth/Dingle. My son and I stayed for a long weekend as we were going to Anfield to see the 'mighty' Reds. I will tell anyone who is planning a trip to the wonderful City of Liverpool to make directly to The Pineapple.

Friendly staff, clean, tidy rooms, comfortable beds. No hassle returning whatever time of the day or night. The bar is wonderful, full of atmsophere, the locals are garrulous & welcoming (you have to experience the karaoke on Friday night ~ and I HATE karaoke). Cheap beer (always a plus point). I stayed in the bar each night rather than venture further afield, and wouldn't have missed it for a moment, whether sitting chatting with a few regulars, or enjoying people singing their hearts out. If you want to experience more than just the Pineapple, taxis are inexpensive and efficient.

The Pineapple People helped hugely, in making the weekend a memorable one for the both of us, oh and the fact Liverpool beat Southampton.

Stay at this charismatic, cheap, well run Hotel. You wont regret it

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank tony l
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2012

Stayed here with my family a while ago. The rooms were fine though the hotel seemed to be very popular with big party groups and so can be loud. Not in a very nice area of the city which is a downside. There was also an altercation involving money being taken which shouldn't have been and it took a long time to get the money back. Would not recommend.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank kfizz-jay

Travellers are raving about these Liverpool hotels

Paris, France
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2012

Being a regular traveller to Liverpool and over the years having stayed in various Hotels and B&Bs I can easily say this is the worst place I have ever stayed in.

Where to start? My room was in a a place they call the "Four Seasons" which is in fact a terraced house round the corner from the hotel. No staff in this house which you share with the occupants of 4 or 5 other rooms. No controls whatever.You also share the bathroom which is easily the worst I have seen. Enamel worn away on the bathtub, dirty towels left all over the floor, Floor tiles cracked and uneven. And generally filthy.

The room I had was like an oven, this was due to what appeared to be the central heating boiler which was encased in a padlocked wooden coffret in the corner of the room. The noise was awful every time this thing fired up all night long. The bed was terrible due to the cheap and worn out mattress. I couldn't sleep due to a combination of the bed and the stifling heat.

I had to go to the "Pineapple Hotel" round the corner for my breakfast which I had been told was until 10.30am. I arrived at 10.05am and was told I was too late as no one was available to cook me breakfast. I was offered a "Continental Breakfast" of tea and toast which I declined. I requested a refund for the £5 I had paid for the breakfast and was again told that no one was available who was authorised to give me a refund.

On arrival I was immediately requested to pay cash as no other payment was acceptable. I paid £40 for 1 night. I would say this place would have been daylight robbery at £25.00.

The surrounding area is depressed you have to walk for at least 20 minutes to find somewhere to eat. Many of the streetlights were out and it is generally run down.

Room Tip: A good room would be in any other establishment you could possibly find.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank George Q
Dutch1966, Manager at The Pineapple Hotel, responded to this review, 13 December 2012
If there was a website for listing nightmare customers, this guy would be a the top of the list with 5 gold stars. On balance there is an element of truth in the review but it is laughable. Please read all reviews and form your own balance opinion. We constantly strive to improve what we do and that is always an ongoing process.
ireland co kerry
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2012

group irish girls stayed here for 2 nites ,want to say this is not a hotel its bedrooms over a pub. nosw it was clean some rooms had no toilet shower or sink .walls paper thin. staff were lovely so was breakfast. you are a taxi ride to city .do not walk its half hour and area not great as said by taxi staff.liverpool is nice for food and shopping .

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2012

We live in Manchester, we're aged 29 and 30. When we read the hotel was in toxteth we werent sure, even our scouse friends weren't sure. But it was £65 a night when hotels in town were £95+. It was 2 miles from lime street where we were goin- this was £5 in a taxi. The staff were lovely, as we're the visitors to the pub below who were climbing over each other to give us a taxi number!

The room was incredibly clean! We had a double ensure. It had TV, towels, tea/coffee but with no milk :( which is what we needed after a night on the town.

We had to park on the street but this wasn't a bother and there were plenty of spaces.

We'd stay again!