“Simply the best”

Good for: Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
“Simply the best”
Reviewed 16 April 2014

ONce again the Gulshan never fails to deliver, have just hosted a party of 28 corporate customers after entertaining them at the Aintree Races and the staff and food where excellent. I use this restaurant for corportae entertraining and the service and food is commented as being of the highest standard by clients from all over the country and is requested that this restaurant is where they are taken when visiting Liverpool.
I take my family there and if its with friends, family or just two of you the staff are always attentive, the food excellent and the experience and value for money first class. Start with drinks in the cocktail bar and then eat in the restaurant - perfect,
Be suspicous of reviews of resturants that recommend other places to eat!!!

• Visited April 2014

“15 years of bliss!”
Reviewed 12 April 2014 via mobile

We have been regulars at the Gulshan for some 15 years, and we are fussy with our food! This restaurant has never disappointed us. The food is fantastic, the staff attentive and polite, and the owner larger than life. We have eaten Indian food all over the UK and in fact the world, and nothing comes better than this. Cocktails in the upstairs lounge prior to your meal is a MUST! Or, why not stay up there and order Tapas?

Don't read the negative comments on this restaurant, as the test of time is the true test, not a fleeting visit.

Visited March 2014
1 Thank Peter c
Isle of Man, United Kingdom
“The mysterious case of the disappearing gerbera......”
Reviewed 11 April 2014

We visited this restaurant on Saturday 22nd March with expectations of a good meal. On arrival the outside looks fresh and modern but don't be deceived, the inside is very 80's, with dark dirty looking carpets and old fashioned decor. We were sat at a table near to a family who had two small children racing around the restaurant from table to table, making lots of noise. We moved table to a quieter area and ordered our food. We waited 25 mins just for popadoms and dips and then less than a couple of minutes later our starters arrived. We sent them back as we wanted time to enjoy the popadoms first. The starters were Ok. Main courses than arrived and I ordered a dhansak. Ir had to be the worse dhansak i have ever tasted. It was just mush and very overcooked and it had huge chunks of onion in it and not a sign of the expected pineapple you would usually find in a dhansak. Whilst we were still eating at exactly 9.50pm (on a Saturday night) the waiter leant over me and took the table decoration away which was a gerbera in a bowl. They were obviously clearly up for the night whilst we and about 4 other table were still eating as there was a whole row of the flower bowls on the bar. I asked the waiter why he had taken the flower away and he ran off and spoke to someone else, came back and said that they were just changing the water!!! They knew i had cottoned on to what they were really doing and tried to fluff their way out of it. We asked for the bill, didn't even finish our wine and left.. on leaving about 4 staff were around the bar and we didn't even get a good bye... don't waste your money and time at this place, as it is a dinosaur living on a historic reputation...food mediocre and service terrible. We were annoyed with ourselves that we paid £10 each way in a taxi from central Liverpool for a very mediocre experience... The Spice Lounge on Albert Dock is far superior...

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank Sue B
Cheshire
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Need more staff”
Reviewed 4 April 2014 via mobile

Decided to visit on a recommendation . As the restaurant was very busy we were left waiting for a few minutes so set the tone for the rest of the night.
We were left waiting for everything, placing our drinks order, food order . Having then to wait for the orders to arrive. Staff seemed new and were having to be constantly told what to do by the manager. It could of been a nice evening but was spoilt by the obvious lack of staff. Others were getting really annoyed by the slow service.
Food was ok, nothing exceptional for the price .

Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Not great, not terrible.”
Reviewed 2 April 2014

Travelled here on Mother's Day at the request of my mum who wanted to visit here, having not been since her 'going-out' days. Her overall opinion was 'it's changed but it was nice'.. here's mine:
The welcome was warm with big smiles - no different to any other Indian restaurant I'd been in. The place itself was poorly laid out in my opinion but comfortable nonetheless. We we greeted with a free glass of 'bubbly' for my mum - a nice touch. Drinks order was taken promptly but upon asking which beers they had, they sneakily only told us the two most expensive ones (and later found out they had others). Had to then wait about 10 minutes for the food order to be taken and another 15 minutes before the starters arrived. The place wasn't busy so am baffled as to why it took so long. I agree with another reviewer saying that they may want to think about free poppodums which aren't a loss-leader and at 80p each,given the quality of accompaniments, not really worth the wait. The onion bhaji I'd ordered was ridiculously dry and I had to rely on the poppodum sauces to swallow as nothing was provided with it. The chicken chat was nice though - plentiful with a good chilli kick.
The main course were served after another wait. The food was piping hot and plentiful although the dopiaza curry was a little drab and uninspiring. The tandoori chicken was overly dry but the biriyani was a tasty mountain of rice with a mellow curry sauce. The naan was well cooked and tasty although the chapati was prob one of the worst I've ever had - really dry, doughy and floury (think pre-packed pitta bread after a day of opening and you're there).
The meal finished with a hot towel and some orange segments - another nice touch but the damage had been done by this point.
The service, although slooooow... was friendly and informative. I just expected a little more given the reviews. If this is one of the best Indian restaurants in Liverpool then I'm sorry, I'd hate to visit an average/poor one. It just didn't excel in anything and I won't be rushing back. Each to their own though and it may delight in others where it disappointed in me.

• Visited March 2014