“Friendly and concientious staff providing a comfortable place to stay.”

Holme Leigh Guest House
Holme Leigh Guest House
Ranked #53 of 77 Liverpool B&B and Inns
Britain
“Friendly and concientious staff providing a comfortable place to stay.”
Reviewed 16 February 2010

Relocating to Liverpool having accepted a new Design Engineering job, Holme Leigh Guest House provided the Ideal place to stay whilst I got things sorted. All-in-all I spent 3 weeks with Holme Leigh and would not hesitate to go there in the future. All the staff were friendly, happy to provide advise about the area, local amenities and would do their up most to make your stay a pleasent one.
Holme Leigh has worked hard to gain its 3 star rating (Not usually awarded to Guest Houses) and doesn't deserve some of the slanderous reviews it has recieved.
Best wishes to all the staff at Holme Leigh, Thanks for your hospitality!

• Stayed January 2010, travelled on business

Reviewed 12 January 2010

I regularly stay at Holme Leigh as my work keeps me around the local area. I've now been staying at the Guest House on and off for nearly 5 years and can honestly say that I find it hard to beat with regards to value, friendly staff and the comfortable rooms. If there has been something I required, like extra towel, more tea or coffee or ironing board the Manager has always attended to the request in quick time and with a smile in short, nothing (within reason) is too much trouble.

Over the time I have stayed at Holme Leigh I have been booked into each of the 14 rooms. I have always found them clean, warm and comfortable, each having tea & coffee facilities, TV and freeview and all barring two rooms having en-suite toilet and shower. Within a short distance from the front door there is a Post Office, Co-Op Shop, and a few take-aways. Breakfast, while not a "fry up" is a substantial continental affair which certainly does fill one up.

If you are looking for a five-star hotel with bar, gym, swimming pool then you will need to book elsewhere, but if want a clean, comfy, freindly and value for money place to stay then this is most definitely is the place for you.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 January 2010

Upon arriving after a very stressful drive in sub zero temperatures, and jovially asking if there was a bar, I was greeted with the response "Yeah, there's a bar - its called a pub and it's down the road, this is a guest house" this was just the start...
After having to abandon my car in possibly one of the roughest areas in Liverpool I was then escorted to my cell - sorry, my room. I must say that it was very generous of the owner to have supplied pubic hairs in the bathroom sink, although I do have my own so had no use for them. The ominous white stained bed sheets only added to my excitement, so I reached for the TV - which had no remote control and was stuck on the shopping channel.
I had a shower with my prison issue shower gel in a sachet and dried myself with my smelly, unwashed towel whilst admiring the skid marks colourfully drawing attention to the manky toilet.
The taxi drivers we had laughed at us and questioned why we would stay in the roughest part of town, when we could stay in the city centre for half the price.
In short, the place was not clean, the staff were extremely rude and unless you've spent some time in Baghdad you may feel uneasy about the area.
For £60 a room , I would expect a decent breakfast and not a 'continental' comprising of cereal.
Had it not have been for the bad weather I would have stayed elsewhere, and think this experience has very possibly scarred me for life.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with friends

Travellers are raving about these Liverpool hotels

Reviewed 7 December 2009

as always when we travel. we like to stay somewhere which is not
operated by one of the multiples or a lodge type place. And when we
decided to visit Liverpool, we found the holme leigh guest house
seemed to fit our needs.

Although it does seem odd to have a "guest house" in the middle of an
urban area live Liverpool, we were surprised to find everything more
than to our satisfaction when we arrived a little later than we had
hoped. We had pre-booked online via their website and were not too
sure what to expect. We were seen in by the owner and quickly settled
down in our en-suite room, which was very clean and tidy and the
ensuite was also clean with hot shower as well as a much need cup of
coffee in the room (or tea for my wife).

We got to breakfast the next morning, not expecting much as
"continental style breakfast" seemed like a 2nd place excuse for a
good fry up. However, it not only filled me up, but i have started
having similar breakfasts at home now. You could help yourself to as
much as you wanted it was also very nice.

The place itself is a traditional B&B run along guest house lines and
the owner and his female staff are welcoming and helpful. I was not
sure what to expect having read a recent tripadviser review which had
been a little poetic, for us we really appreciated our stay and would
welcome it to others and saw no problems at all.

When we were getting around in Liverpool, the Taxis are very cheap,
about £5.50 to the centre. We had a spare afternoon on our third day
and spent a couple of hours looking around the very nice
Sefton Park Palm House which is about 1 mile away.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
Cumbria
Reviewed 19 October 2009

They say that Liverpudlians have a great sense of humour, well given the name of this place the landlord must be the new Ken Dodd as there was nothing 'Holme Leigh' about this pit.

ROOM
The room I was staying in had a distinctly musty smell due to the enormous damp patch in the ceiling, a shower head that has to be held up with your hand when showering, a mirror that comes off the wall when you wipe it and, pleasantly, some suspiciously smelly brown water in the toilet where it either hadn't been flushed properly by the previous occupant or the system backs up on itself. It was actually supposed to be a double room but there was barely enough room for just me. On the plus side the TV didn't burst into flames when I turned it on.

STAFF
People say that there's nothing like service with a smile, which is very true of this place, you really will get nothing like service with a smile. The male owner was pleasant enough and let me use the iron, which left brown marks on my brand new shirt, but the two woman were, I'll politely say, having an 'off' day whilst we were there.

BREAKFAST
To bring a touch of foreign land to the area you have a choice of either a continental breakfast or a continental breakfast. With boxes full of exotic treats such as Weetabix or Cornflakes it's as though you're breakfasting in the Dordogne. If that's not enough you can also help yourself to the pre-packed meat and cheese slices in the fridge and pretend you're the Crown Price of Monaco enjoying a leisurely meal on the balcony of your palace.

PLUS POINTS
There's an ASDA just across the road so you can go and enjoy a decent brekkie in their cafe for a couple of quid.

It's also only about a £5 taxi ride into town which is more reasonable than I expected. If you're lucky you may get a cabbie like one of ours who may offer to get you some cocaine if you want it.

The police have apparently stepped up their anti-crime campaign in the area.

There hasn't been a full scale riot in a number of years.

Checking out.

OVERALL
Really, there must surely be hundreds of better places to stay in the area, when you mention your destination to the cabbie after getting off the train and he laughs you know that things aren't going to go well. If you're desperate then by all means stay here, it's reasonable clean and there is a bed. But if you want to stay somewhere nice, where you actual feel welcome then, I implore you, pick somewhere else. Also, there's no assigned parking, you just have to try and grab a space on the street if you can find one.

It's a shame really as it's the only dark spot on the entire trip, the city itself is terrific, everthing's reasonably priced, there's lots of good places to eat (I can heartily recommend the Tavern Company, six of us managed to eat plenty of good food, have a drink and still have change out of £60! There's also lots of good restaurants above Liverpool One), drink & shop and the people, bar the odd notable exception, are cheery, helpful and polite.

Be warned though, if you're going for a night out then don't plan on getting into the city until about 10pm, the place is practically dead before then.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with friends
HONG KONG
Reviewed 8 October 2009

The website offers a very false impression of this guest house. This area of Liverpool is vpoor and the general state of the surrounding area confirms this. NO warm welcome. Not even a smile. Just the set up of the breakfast facilities put me off. Very little effort by the management here. Difficult to park after 5.00pm. Somebody had activated the silent alarm on my car at about 2.15am. I intended to stay for a week, but made good my escape after 2 nights. I would not recommend this place to anyone. As stated by another guest "you pay for what you get". No thanks.............

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business