“Afternoon tea, not at it's best!”

Hard Days Night Hotel
Ranked #26 of 97 Hotels in Liverpool
Essex
“Afternoon tea, not at it's best!”
Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

Went for a special occasion.
Had to ask for more food, luckily it was on offer, staff helpful, but a bit clueless. Sandwiches were stale and we were first given ham ones, even though we had emailed and stated on the day that we were veggie.
Disappointing!

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Macadamia4444244

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (677)
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 April 2014

We were here for my stepson's wedding at the weekend. As I work opposite the hotel and have visited a few times for a drink, was very keen to see the rooms. Was not disappointed, beautiful de luxe room (215) at the front right hand corner and although it is noisy when the bottle bin men arrive at around 6am and the street cleaners, it is after all a city centre hotel
It is a luxurious hotel and everything was fine, including the lovely breakfast. Great atmosphere throughout and yes, the doorman is superb. Only downside was opening the curtains at 8am to see my place of work bathed in the morning sunshine on my day off!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 20 April 2014

Had the best time here! The staff were friendly, accommodating and went above and beyond. Even came up to my room to show me how to work the free wifi (VERY cool once I figured it out) recommended great places to visit and eat at, again, SO friendly! Actually opted to wait for a taxi instead of calling for one, just to talk to Dave, the lovely doorman. Perfect area, so much to see and do and RIGHT beside the cavern club and tons of great places to eat and to shop at, walkable to waterfront/museums/shopping and the coach tours - I did the magical mystery tour and it was lots of fun, and conveniently ends right back at the hotel :)

Room Tip: Didn't have a pool and didn't enquire about exercise room. Great breakfast though!!!!!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Leighton Buzzard, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 April 2014

My first trip to Liverpool has been an amazing experience. The hotel is in a perfect location. The décor brilliant its a must for any beatles fans. The staff where really helpful and friendly. Dave the doorman was a delight hotel lucky to have him a real character and very helpful. Food excellent

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
midlands
Reviewed 18 April 2014

Lovely hotel great location staff really helpful cant do enough for you food was good drinks a bit pricey but all in all cant really fault it there's scaffolding up outside at the moment which does spoil the look of the hotel but I suppose it can't be helped if they are doing improvements & it is a little noisy but it is in the city centre

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Baltimore, MD
Reviewed 18 April 2014

I recently made my first ever trip to Liverpool to see the Beatles' historic homes and haunts, and therefore this seemed like the logical place to stay. Initially I was worried that it would be kitschy or tourist-y but they have done quite a nice job refurbishing a grand old city building's insides into a tasteful Beatles experience.

Upon arrival, you are greeted by Beatles portraits on the outside windows and Beatles statues (a bit kitschy as they don't really look like the Beatles and are out of proportion) on the building. You carry your bags up a flight of stairs (Doorman is only on duty during certain hours and was not there when I arrived around 7 pm) to reception. The common areas such as reception, the adjoining lounge and bars have tasteful Beatles decor in the form of large paintings, photographs and news reprints worked into the interior design (see the traveler photos). To get to the rooms, you can either ride up in a large glass elevator that looks out on large Beatle wall mural photos, or walk up a wide spiral staircase for even better views of the same. Statues aside, the theme is very well done and nicely designed, not kitschy.

The theme continues inside the rooms. I booked a standard (least expensive) room which featured one large Beatles art picture (I had room 302 with the Beatles "butcher cover"), a plaque explaining the picture, and Beatles-themed toiletries, advertising cards and the paper door tag which says "Let it be" for "Do not disturb", and "I need you" if you want your room made up. I enjoyed the subtlety of the theme although I would have liked more Beatles pictures, etc. in the room, then again I suppose they worry about fans stealing any Beatles decor smaller than a 3 foot square painting.

My room (302) was on the Mathew Street side near the current Cavern Club, so on a Monday night I got to hear a guitarist directly under me warbling mediocre covers of Beatles and Neil Young songs all evening until midnight, and also on Wednesday morning at 4 am - not even Friday or Saturday night, but Wednesday - I had drunks whooping, hollering and doing loud bird calls directly under my window for many minutes. I'm a pretty sound sleeper and was 3 floors up, but it was so loud the drunks could have been in the hall right outside my room. I did not stay over a weekend, but can just imagine how bad it gets then if they carry on so loudly on a mere Wednesday. On the one hand it was fun to be staying so close to the famous Cavern site, and it did add to the "rock and roll hotel" atmosphere, but as these rooms aren't cheap, the hotel should really consider installing double windows or some other type of soundproofing on the Mathew Street side.

Beatles aside and from a pure hotel room standpoint, I enjoyed the large comfy bed and big deep soaking bathtub in my room. The bathroom appeared quite new and had good water pressure and temperature, and the towels were quite luxurious. I would have liked a handheld shower attachment in the tub, it seemed to have an overhead only although there was a niche for setting a handheld in the fixture (but no handheld to set there). The light switches in the room were a bit complicated but worked well except for my entry way light which I only managed to get on once - at other times it either wasn't working or I couldn't figure out how to turn it on, making that part of the room very dark. The room had a nice tea setup and a safe big enough for a large laptop, and wi-fi was free and worked very well. The closet hangers were hung high up and a bit hard to maneuver if you are short like me. But overall this was a very nice refurb of a historic building room and much better than the usual that I see in historic hotels. Wish there was a mini-fridge in the room for drinks, but not surprised it was missing since they obviously want to make the money off you eating in their lounge and restaurant.

My main issue with this hotel concerned food options other than breakfast. They offer a big buffet breakfast or room service breakfast. I skipped both as I usually don't eat so much very early in the morning when I am in a rush - there is a Gregg's and several other places within a couple blocks where you can get a coffee and pastry for a couple pounds and that worked better for me. However when I returned from my long Beatles tour in the afternoon, I would have liked some light meal. The schedule posted in my room said they served afternoon tea till 6 pm which would have been perfect, but when I went down to ask about it at 5:30 they said they were all out. If the service stops at 5:30 they should not advertise it being "until 6 pm", nor was there any suggestion by the server of something else they could serve me instead, so in view of the server's indifference and the prices I got carry-out sandwiches from Tesco Express around the corner and ate them with the tea set up in my room. As for dinner, the hotel restaurant is a bit fancy and pricey, has a very limited menu, and not sure if there is room service as I didn't see anything said about it in the guest information, so I chose to skip that as well. For more restaurant options, I would suggest looking on nearby Victoria Street or down to the docks as the large mall area on Lord and Church streets only seems to have chain restaurants that close by 6 pm. The Cavern also has a pub across the alley from the main club that serves food, although I'm not sure how late.

I did have a drink in the Bar Four which has fun Beatles-themed cocktails on the menu. The bar was beautiful but very empty, and they were out of some of the cocktail ingredients.

Overall this is a place that every Beatles fan should stay at least once, and I am being generous in giving it four stars (it's really more like a 3.5 at best) because they did a nice job with the decorating and with re-using an old building to save it from the wrecking ball. But they do need to address the issues with noise and perhaps offer more/ better food service apart from breakfast for the ordinary travellers who are not coming for a fancy dinner, wedding, graduation event etc.

Booking tip: When I went to book my room, the hotel main website said it was all sold out, but I was able to find a room through agoda.com (I think Booking.com was also offering a room) so if you can't get a room via the hotel directly, try the booking sites.

Walking tip: Also, if you are walking here from Lime Street Station, walk via Victoria Street rather than via Elliott/ Parker/ Church/ Lord streets (the current "Google maps" walking route), which actually takes you through a rather hectic (and mostly shut down by 5 pm) chain store shopping mall having cobblestones, steps and crowds, and which can be hard to walk through especially with rolling luggage. Victoria Street by contrast has nice sidewalks, quaint restaurants and picturesque old architecture.

Room Tip: Rooms on Mathew St side are very noisy at night, including some weeknights.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Bunnydots
North Lincolnshire, UK
Reviewed 17 April 2014

Just returned from our third stay at Hard Days Night and it was excellent once again! Lovely, individual room, without any kind of chain-hotel feel like so many these days. We were in room 305, which had a big "John" piece of art work, which was very impressive.
We didn't eat at the hotel this time, or use the bar, but the room was lovely, the staff friendly, and as always, the location excellent - around the corner from the Cavern, and near lots of good pubs and restaurants, as well as Liverpool One for shopping. Easy walk to anywhere really - theatres, shops, clubs, pubs etc.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple