“A tale of two halves!”

L3 Living at the Albany
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Liverpool
L3 Living at the Albany
Ranked #80 of 97 Hotels in Liverpool
Tamworth, United Kingdom
“A tale of two halves!”
Reviewed 2 April 2008

My parents, my 2 kids aged 1 and 5 and myself wanted a couple of nights away during the school holidays, and had a look on 'Late Rooms' for a last minute 2 night break.

My husband has stayed in other self serviced apartments with his work and recommended we try one as it offers flexibility that hotels don't. Liverpool was our choice and we found a 2 bed apartment at L3 Living's the Albany for £100 per night, which between the 5 of us seemed great value.

After booking it on Laterooms the L3 manager (Luke) emailed to confirm the booking and to clarify T&C, saying he would charge £100 (50%) to my debit card. However he took the whole amount (£224.40 with parking and a 2% charge despite my paying on debit card not credit card) Note World Pay do not charge this, the merchant do! Anyhow, I contacted them to point out the whole amount had gone through and he apologised and offered to refund half, but I said not to worry as we would be paying it anyway in a couple of days.

Not having visited Liverpool before we found the place hard to locate (but that was probably us!) and I parked up outside by chance and rang Luke. We had been delayed an hour from the time I said we would arrive due to travelling through the Mersey tunnel 3 times and when I rang he said " I was going to ring you you are an hour late!" which I thought was a bit rude and made me feel bad!! However the lady who met us, Paula, was very helpful and friendly.

She explained the parking was around the rear of the building and it was a bit tight to turn into the entrance, but we found it and drove in. The car park is a secure 'stacker' system (like a car vending machine!), which was fantastic but did mean that we had to empty all our luggage and everything that we needed there and then. We made 2 journeys to our apartment with the luggage, which was a small walk away through about 6 doors and up a lift so my parents in their 70s were quite shattered!

We had a 1st floor apartment (94) which was apparently the first time it was let and I was initially quite disappointed as it did not match the photos I had seen on the website - apparently these are of the penthouses not the other floor apartments.

We had chosen the apartment as it was advertised as having "full Sky premier package" but unfortunately it only had a fuzzy BBC1!!! I therefore rang the manager and complained, he said something had gone wrong with the satellite dish and he would sort it out in the morning.

The apartment did suit us though and offered us the space and freedom we wanted. We turned on all the heaters and it was soon feeling cosy. The apartments are excellently located with restaurants around and the river, Albert dock area and shops all about a 10 - 15 minute walk. The area felt safe and was very clean.

So after a meal out we went to bed ...... only to find that despite being modernly decorated with new bedding the mattresses were DIABOLICAL and I hardly slept as a result.

At 9am Luke arrived with a freeview box and set it up. He apologised that the satellite tv wasn't working and said that was the best he could do. It was helpful of him and at least the kids had some cartoons to watch! I then told him about the state of the matresses and he took a look. He explained they were new but the apartments are sublet through them so the owner had furnished them, not L3. My parents had slept on their duvet to remedy the problem so I asked for another duvet to do the same that night. Also we only had 2 towels between us so I asked for some more.

That night on our return the housekeeper had left the towels but no duvet. I rang Luke to tell him and he said they were meant to buy some matress protectors or something, and he would get back to me. An hour later Paula arrived having been shopping for matress protectors = but these wouldn't have helped one bit! The springs were so obvious you needed something thicker. Luckily she had also bought a duvet that day for another flat so I got one from her car. I was surprised there wasn't a store of spare duvets in the apartment block - what if my kid had been sick on one and we needed one extra!!? Anyhow, this was helpful of her again to try to sort out the problem.

And I did sleep much better that night thanks!

All in all The Albany is an unusually and modern-styled well refurbished place. I think that as they are a new company there are some teething problems that they need to sort and I feel that the apartment should have been checked and sorted before our arrival rather than during it! It offered value for money and a flexible alternative to a hotel so I would use again - but just check that I was either getting a penthouse (3rd floor) apartment or one that had decent matresses and sky tv

• Liked — Location, helpfulness of staff when we had some problems
  • Disliked — The matresses!!! And the fact we had no sky tv....a few teething issues I hope!
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
1 Thank StarTurn

Business
monaghan.ireland
Reviewed 26 March 2008

exellent loaction 5 minutes walk from city centre, lovely helpful letting company great place to stay

• Stayed March 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)