“Don't Go Here”

Gran Paradiso
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Pimlico
Description: "A very well known restaurant that has been providing good value cooking for the last 30 years. The interior is tastefully decorated and the tables are not too crammed together so that you are forced to listen to your neighbours' conversation, whether you want to or not. All this is good news for the many politicians who frequent (it's within reach of the Divisional Bell). What's cooking? Original Italian cuisine, in particular specialities from Tuscany. Salads are made with ingredients from the owner Sandro's own garden and fresh fish is delivered twice a day from Brighton."
Reviewed 30 May 2014

There are so many restaurants that are so much better than this place. Do not go here.

I don't normally complain about the staff because I go to restaurants for the food. But, the staff here was just terrible. There was absolutely zero warmth - not a smile and barely a word - to the point that I felt unwelcome. Even when the waiter came over to the table to take our order, he just stood there with his pen and pad. He didn't say anything like "what can I get you" or "may I take your order." He just walked up to the table and stood there.

They are sneaky too. They don't give you a menu and when you sit down the waiter walks up to you with a bread basket. I selected a roll thinking it was complimentary, and then they gave us the menu where it says that the top that there is a charge for the bread. Sneaky! My dish was awful - the Penne Tartuffo. The sauce was very heavy, gloppy, oily, salty, and I can't believe I'm going to say this because I adore truffles, too much truffle!

You've been warned.

3  Thank LaurenAnn08
There are newer reviews for Gran Paradiso

Reviewed 20 May 2014

The reason I call this "the liver restaurant" is because many years ago I popped in and decided to try the liver. I have since travelled around the world and Gran Paradisos grilled calves liver with sage butter is simply the best. Even if you don't like liver, I challenge you to find fault with this version.
The hosts are most friendly, the décor is incredibly authentic (as it probably has been for 40 years). The staff are knowledgable about the menu and wine list, and you will find daily specials such as home made sausages or a tagliolini with mushrooms foraged by the owner himself (in season). Don't go to this place if you want modern bright lights. This is for the discerning eater who prefers quality and superior ingredients over pretty platings and gimmicks.

1  Thank Travelster021
Reviewed 15 May 2014 via mobile

We had a pre theatre dinner here. We arrived and were shown to our seats quickly and given some bread, butter and olives.
The waiter gave us the menu and left us to it, hardly said a word. We chose our meals and the food arrived quickly. I had bolognase and my husband had lasagne. The food was average, the pasta was overcooked.
We both enjoyed a piece of tiramisu for dessert.
The meal was £55 for 2 courses including a side salad, a litre of water and a small bottle of Peroni.
The restaurant has so much potential, but sadly fails to deliver.

2  Thank Minishone
Reviewed 21 April 2014

The best meal we had in London, for flavour, quality and value. After the amazing fresh made bread we started with the antipasto and then moved on to pasta for the main, all of which was excellent. Noodles were perfect as were all the sauces. Next time we are in London we will be back.

Reviewed 20 March 2014

The Gran Paradiso has been a favourite of ours for quite a few years, we go there on special occasions throughout the year.We have always had good service and the staff have always been attentive, however last night we had booked in advance, arrived on time only to be greeted by the lady host who seemed very vague, and suggested we could sit anywhere, when usually if booked would have had a reserved table, not even sat down when the bread basket pushed under our noses, I commented to the waiter to give me a chance to sit down and put my bags down before I chose,he then whisked the bread away ignoring me completely, we then asked to move tables as it was not busy, this seemed to be a chore...after the main course and the table cleared we then waited at least 15mins before asking us if we would like desert-too late we cried, would have understood if the restaurant had been really busy but this was not the case, food was excellent but was let down by the service and nonchalant air of the hosts-sadly this has put us off for booking in the future.