“Not good enough”

Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Clapham / Battersea
Reviewed 6 May 2014

I visited here on the 6th May with my wife for a meal. I must say the decor and surroundings are fabulous. Very contemporary and elegant finishings. Even the the menus handed to us were of the finest quality. The drinks we ordered were also very nice. I had a sweet lassi which was very tasty and my wife had a lemonade which wasn't flat.

The popadums came with only two relishes which I found unusual. However they were fresh and very tasty.

We ordered two starters, my wife had a potato and peas patti and I had a paneer shaslick. When the dishes arrived I knew from this point that the food wasn't going to be a high standard as made out from the menu. The plates they came in were very contemporary, long rectangular plates, however the presentation was absurd. Two chunks of Indian cheese with two uneven square pieces of pepper and a cut up lettuce on the side with a chunk of lemon. To top it off there was a design on the plate with a brown sauce which looked as though a child had scribbled on it. I don't want to sound rude or be ignorant but the presentation was just not good enough for such a high class establishment.

On to the main course, my wife ordered a Chilli Chicken Masala and I ordered the Murgh Nihari, pilau rice and a kulcha naan. Again the plates were big and round to suit the finishings of the premise however there were no hot plate warmers to keep the curries warm. The dishes arrived at a reasonable time but we were not asked if we were ready for our main meal. There was no presentation at all, it literally was just curry in fancy porcelain dishes. The pilau rice was nice and the naan was also nice. The two main dishes lacked in flavour, the Nihari was spicer than I expected and the Chicken Masala was dry.

The waiter asked if we were finished, he however was not attentive enough to ask if we enjoyed our meal which was clearly demonstrated from the amount of food left over. It wasn't a busy day for the restaurant so again attentiveness from the waiters was much more expected.

There were no hot towels provided, we were then handed the dessert menu - I chose to have a floater coffee but when I asked the waiter for one he explained that this is not on the menu and offered me a normal coffee instead. What I find confusing is that if an Irish or French Coffee can be served then why can't a plain floater coffee be served???

In the end I ordered a filter coffee again this came in a fancy cup with sugar cubes and warm milk. Mints were not offered. We then asked for the bill, it arrived again with no mints. The amount came to around £47.00.

The overall experience was an average one, the quality of the products were good but the taste and presentation was not up to par. On top of this, the owner of the restaurant was having a meal with his banker friend from Dubai near by and their conversation could be clearly heard. As a dining customer we don't want to hear how the owner is a "multi-millionaire," owns many properties in Battersea, doesn't know what to do with his money and so on. This kind of success is admirable but customers do not need to notified in a such a way - especially assuming that his friend from Dubai is already aware of his personal fortune. This clearly shows that money has been splashed into this establishment but not in the right way. The end product therefore is lacking in many ways.

I have experience in the restaurant business as my family have numerous establishments in the Midlands. My profession also involves education in hospitality, customer service and management. I therefore know what I am talking about. I know this May seem a bit blunt but it had to be done.

Happy dining.

2  Thank SChoudhury1

Reviewed 7 March 2014

Unfortunately we had food poisoning so although I had heard wonderful things about this restaurant it was tainted by the memory of the meal we had.

Reviewed 15 February 2014

Good food, nice environment and helpful service - overall, a very pleasant dinner. Relaxed atmosphere; no problem visiting with small children.

Reviewed 25 September 2013

The Rickshaw is a slightly more upmarket and experimental Indian restaurant. We went on a Friday night and it was packed. The decor is traditional Indian but again slightly more slick.

I always wanted to go to this restaurant because I had previously read the menu and was intrigued by the Beetroot Lamb. We started by sharing the Crisp Wheat Shells filled with Chickpeas, Potato, Pomegranate, Tamarind and Yogurt (£5.25) along with the token Popadums and Chutneys (£3.50). The Wheat Shells were interesting. I didn't dislike them but the fact they were served cold ruined it for me. I wish they had written that it's a cold dish on the menu because I would have certainly not ordered it had I known. With that said the flavour was there.

For our main we of course had the Beetroot Lamb (£11.95). Knowing that this curry would probably be naturally sweet from the Beetroot, we asked the waiter for a hot curry to go with it. We ended up with a tomato based vindaloo type curry. It was hot, the chicken was tender and it complimented the Beetroot Lamb very well. Both curries were ones I'd order again. I loved the tender falling apart lamb and sweet yet semi dry sauce that came from the beetroot.

Our dessert consisted of a Pistachio Kulfi which in effect is an Indian ice cream (£4). It was perfectly delicious with big chunks of Pistachio running through it.

There are so many other things I want to try on this menu, namely the tender Lamb Shank cooked in spices.

Note that they are not open during the day.

The Rickshaw
8/10
15-16 Battersea Square
London, SW11 3RA
0207 924 2450
www.battersearickshaw.com

Reviewed 15 June 2013

We had just arrived in U.K. and were dying for a good Indian meal.... We didn't get it here! It is over priced and I hate to say it, but I being a non-indian would make better indian from a packet, now that 's how bad it was!! I should have realised that it wasn't very good by the lack of any customers, but we took this on as a early dining problem...it's not! Go down the road to Banyan on the Thames for some proper Indian!!