“Our favourite local italian”

Carluccio's - Notting Hill
Ranked #4,049 of 23,226 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$20 - US$41
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Notting Hill
Reviewed 19 October 2013

We live just around the corner from Carluccio's in Notting Hill and have a big choice of great places to eat, but Carluccio's is our favourite to have a take away coffee, or a quick meal if we don't feel like cooking. The staff are always very welcoming and there really seems to be a good vibe amongst the staff. Since it was refurbished it also looks much more inviting. Couldn't recommend this place and the staff enough.

1  Thank TrevorRoy
There are newer reviews for Carluccio's - Notting Hill

Reviewed 26 May 2013

We were walking to Cote (French restaurant) on Westbourne Grove for lunch and noticed Carluccio's, which I've never tried before, and thought we'd give it a go. It has a lot of competition on Westbourne Grove where almost half the retail space on that stretch is devoted to restaurants, although I can't, off the top of my head, think of an Italian there. There's French, Spanish, Persian, Brazilian, Greek, Indian, Japanese, American, Austrian and many others. With Carluccio's I had an image of a slightly upmarket Italian chain. The bread basket and the large vivid green olives given were good, and the olives succulent and delicious, although this was somewhat marred by having to ask for paper napkins. There was a large family sitting at the next table with two young kids who started running around the restaurant screaming their heads off and rather than being admonished by their family, seemed to to be actively encouraging it, so we moved tables. We ordered a tasting menu of three of the twelve pastas on the menu, which is for two people. We tried the Spaghetti Vongole, the Linguine Seafood and the Penne Arrabiata (excuse my Italian). All three were, in our opinion, disappointing - luke warm and bland. The best was the Spaghetti, but it also lacked flavour, was luke warm, although the clams were perfectly fine. This taster dish cost £21 and I thought was not particularly good value for money. Spaghetti Vongole is one of my favourite dishes and only a few days previously I had eaten it at Valentina on Notting Hill Gate (see review), and as a benchmark it put Carluccio's effort to shame. The glass of Prosecco was perfectly fine. Service was spoiled by having to ask for spoons with our forks for the spaghetti and also having to ask for a bowl to put the clam and mussel shells. Did the waiter think we were going to them in our pockets? Overall very average, especially for the price and there are many better restaurants to go to on Westbourne Grove and nearby.

Reviewed 25 April 2013

Have eaten at this location of a chain restaurant several times. The food is good and not overpriced. Would certainly recommend it.

Reviewed 8 April 2013

Popped in here with the wife and folks for a quick bite on Sunday.

Good service, good food and a nice atmosphere. We shared a mushroom soup, garlic bread, a salad and some pate, all washed down with a couple of beers.

All in all a good place to eat at a reasonable price, and when the sun is shining it looks great.

Reviewed 31 March 2013

The plates and glasses were dirty. Really dirty with grease all over. The food was definitely not freshly made, it seem old and reheated. It took a long time to get the food. Service was not present.

I have been to the deli before and was looking forward to try the restaurant. This was a mistake. I still feel sick just thinking about it.

Mr Carluccio himself should be ashamed.

I do not know if there is a conflict between the management and the staff. But since it was bad throughout, I suspect there is. I will not trust any of the Carluccios restaurants after this.

6  Thank Anna560