“Wondrous, as usual!”
Review of Clos Maggiore

Clos Maggiore
Reserve with OpenTable
Clos Maggiore is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #114 of 24,254 Restaurants in London
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighbourhood: Covent Garden
Cross street: Bedford Street
Transit: Underground: Covent Garden, Charing Cross, Leicester Square
Description: If romance is in the cards, London's most romantic restaurant is Covent Garden's multi award-winning Clos Maggiore. Echoing the charming country inns of Provence and Tuscany, the warmly muted decor, low lighting and welcoming log fire were clearly designed with love in mind. The skylight is surrounded with twining, flower-starred branches to resemble an Italianate courtyard, a delightful faux-rural treat in the city centre. Seasonally inspired classic French cuisine coupled with impeccable service is the order of the day at Clos Maggiore restaurant, with a focus on chic presentation and bold flavours. The range of menus include a six-course "tasting menu" featuring such dishes as "Seared Wild Scallops, Ratte Potato & Winter Truffle" and "Pan Roasted Fillet of Cornish Cod, Olive Oil & Basil Pomme Puree". In addition Clos Maggiore serves a reasonably priced, regularly changing set lunch and pre-theatre menus. To find the perfect complement Clos Maggiore's extensive cellar includes over 2500 labels and was extended earlier this year to include an additional 400 wines at a low - mid price range. They have recently been awarded the "The Grand Wine Award 2014" by the Wine Spectator - one of only 70 restaurants worldwide to receive this accolade. Clos Maggiore has been voted in the "Top Ten" categories for "Best French Restaurants", "Best Ambiance" and "Special Occasion Restaurants" by opentable. Toptable lists Clos Maggiore as one of the most highly rated dining venues in London and Square Meal lists Clos Maggiore as one of the best restaurants with Private Rooms.
Reviewed 13 July 2014

If any excuse to dine out arises, then the Clos is at the top of our list of our 'go to' restaurants. For consistently delicious food for such a reasonable bill, especially their week end prix fix with three courses and half a bottle of wine each for under thirty pounds per person, the Clos Maggiore is I think, difficult to beat. Over time we have been seated at a number of the tables in the restaurant and usually we are lucky enough to be seated in the conservatory, but really, even the 'siberia' tables are not that bad, as once I'm seated and eating great food, drinking wonderful wine and yapping happily with friends I soon forget about not having one of the more favoured tables!
We last went for Sunday lunch a couple of weeks ago. Whilst we tried to decide what to order from the menu we had a glass of champagne and polished off several pieces of their freshly baked bread. We try to resist the lure of the bread basket but this is quite futile as in particular the warm parmesan and rosemary focaccia is off the chart delicious!
I started with three quite large seared scallops on a bed of dreamy saffron and chorizo risotto and my partner had a slice of smooth as silk foie gras terrine with toasted brioche which we both swooned over.
This was followed by slow cooked tender pork cheeks with petit pois al la francaise and baby carrots in a frothy creamy sauce with smoked Alsace bacon lardons for me and my partner had my usual choice of cod on angel hair pasta with a creamy seafood veloute, topped with mussels, concass tomatoes and finely chopped chorizo.
Triple cooked chips served in a little copper pan then added a moreish and crunchy coated potato addition that went really rather well the creamy sauces with our main courses, delicious!
Despite feeling somewhat full by this point we still pressed on with pudding, a caramel mousse with zingy raspberries and crisp meringue batons, then coffee and petit fours! We chose the white house wine to accompany this splendid lunch which was light, cold and crisp and service throughout was unfailingly charming and cheerful as always. Really recommended, can't understand how anyone wouldn't love this restaurant!

2  Thank KikLondon
Write a ReviewReviews (3,392)

Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

I took my partner to Clos Maggiore for a birthday meal. In summary unique restaurant with delicious food and superb attentive staff!

We are definitely coming back soon!

2  Thank KingarthurIV
Reviewed 12 July 2014 via mobile

Booked 2 months in advance for a 1 year anniversary celebration- this restaurant certainly fell short of the built up expectations.
Very beautiful interiors- we had a table under the flowers- very romantic indeed.
My partner ordered a starter, yet I refrained knowing that the mains were quite large - which disappointed our waiter.
Mains were ok- nice, not amazing.
When me is came back round for dessert- we were both too full, and the waiter snatched our menus out of our hands and ushered us off!
Very rude- far more restaurants in London worth the money for a far better experience.

Reviewed 10 July 2014

Beautiful food, attentive service, great location. A proper Italian restaurant that was great value for lunch.
Went on the recommendation of a friend and can highly recommend!

1  Thank Dermot M
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Booked this restaurant due to the reviews. Little disappointed that despite request not granted a seat in the conservatory so didn't even get to see it. Had the Prix Fix menu which was limited. I made a bad choice on the terraine and didn't like it all which upset the waiter. He gave me a complimentary dessert though to make up for it which I thought was nice. My friends meal was delicious though and so was my main of fish. Had side orders of homemade chips, truffle mash and carrots which were supreme. Expensive by the time we added a bottle of fizz but enjoyed the experience. Beautiful restaurant and decor - a good choice for romantic couples.