“Best pre-theatre meal I have had” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Clos Maggiore

Clos Maggiore
Reserve with OpenTable
Clos Maggiore is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #51 of 22,204 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$50 - US$62
Cuisines: French, European
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighbourhood: Covent Garden
Cross street: Bedford Street
Transit: Underground: Covent Garden, Charing Cross, Leicester Square
Description: If romance is in the cards, London's most romantic restaurant is Covent Garden's multi award-winning Clos Maggiore. Echoing the charming country inns of Provence and Tuscany, the warmly muted decor, low lighting and welcoming log fire were clearly designed with love in mind. The skylight is surrounded with twining, flower-starred branches to resemble an Italianate courtyard, a delightful faux-rural treat in the city centre. Seasonally inspired classic French cuisine coupled with impeccable service is the order of the day at Clos Maggiore restaurant, with a focus on chic presentation and bold flavours. The range of menus include a six-course "tasting menu" featuring such dishes as "Seared Wild Scallops, Ratte Potato & Winter Truffle" and "Pan Roasted Fillet of Cornish Cod, Olive Oil & Basil Pomme Puree". In addition Clos Maggiore serves a reasonably priced, regularly changing set lunch and pre-theatre menus. To find the perfect complement Clos Maggiore's extensive cellar includes over 2500 labels and was extended earlier this year to include an additional 400 wines at a low - mid price range. They have recently been awarded the "The Grand Wine Award 2014" by the Wine Spectator - one of only 70 restaurants worldwide to receive this accolade. Clos Maggiore has been voted in the "Top Ten" categories for "Best French Restaurants", "Best Ambiance" and "Special Occasion Restaurants" by opentable. Toptable lists Clos Maggiore as one of the most highly rated dining venues in London and Square Meal lists Clos Maggiore as one of the best restaurants with Private Rooms.
Buckinghamshire, UK
“Best pre-theatre meal I have had”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

I decided to book online about three weeks ahead. Interestingly, the online booking page on the restaurant’s website is handled by Opentable and, according to this, there were no tables available for timeslot on the evening that I wanted. However, I telephone d the restaurant the next day and they were able to give me a table on the day and time that I requested.

Just to make sure, I popped into the restaurant a few days beforehand to confirm my reservation and mention that we would be celebrating my daughter’s graduation. When we arrived for our meal, we were delighted (and surprised, since this had not been explicitly requested) to be seated in the conservatory room and daughter received her dessert on a decorated plate complete with candle.

This was an evening pre-theatre meal (and yes, we did go to a theatre afterwards) and very good it was too. I can report that my Octopus salad as starter was superb! The amazing thing was that this was near-Michelin Star cuisine at less cost than our village pub.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank charidot

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Turkish first
Israel
“Good food, good service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

Although the food was good, and the service was fast and courteous. We felt somewhat unwelcomed at the restaurant. I guess it was the way we were dressed, it did not fit the scene.

Visited July 2014
London
“Wondrous, as usual!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014

If any excuse to dine out arises, then the Clos is at the top of our list of our 'go to' restaurants. For consistently delicious food for such a reasonable bill, especially their week end prix fix with three courses and half a bottle of wine each for under thirty pounds per person, the Clos Maggiore is I think, difficult to beat. Over time we have been seated at a number of the tables in the restaurant and usually we are lucky enough to be seated in the conservatory, but really, even the 'siberia' tables are not that bad, as once I'm seated and eating great food, drinking wonderful wine and yapping happily with friends I soon forget about not having one of the more favoured tables!
We last went for Sunday lunch a couple of weeks ago. Whilst we tried to decide what to order from the menu we had a glass of champagne and polished off several pieces of their freshly baked bread. We try to resist the lure of the bread basket but this is quite futile as in particular the warm parmesan and rosemary focaccia is off the chart delicious!
I started with three quite large seared scallops on a bed of dreamy saffron and chorizo risotto and my partner had a slice of smooth as silk foie gras terrine with toasted brioche which we both swooned over.
This was followed by slow cooked tender pork cheeks with petit pois al la francaise and baby carrots in a frothy creamy sauce with smoked Alsace bacon lardons for me and my partner had my usual choice of cod on angel hair pasta with a creamy seafood veloute, topped with mussels, concass tomatoes and finely chopped chorizo.
Triple cooked chips served in a little copper pan then added a moreish and crunchy coated potato addition that went really rather well the creamy sauces with our main courses, delicious!
Despite feeling somewhat full by this point we still pressed on with pudding, a caramel mousse with zingy raspberries and crisp meringue batons, then coffee and petit fours! We chose the white house wine to accompany this splendid lunch which was light, cold and crisp and service throughout was unfailingly charming and cheerful as always. Really recommended, can't understand how anyone wouldn't love this restaurant!

• Visited June 2014
2 Thank KikLondon
London
“Special Birthday treat!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

I took my partner to Clos Maggiore for a birthday meal. In summary unique restaurant with delicious food and superb attentive staff!

We are definitely coming back soon!

2 Thank KingarthurIV
“Disappointing ”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2014 via mobile

Booked 2 months in advance for a 1 year anniversary celebration- this restaurant certainly fell short of the built up expectations.
Very beautiful interiors- we had a table under the flowers- very romantic indeed.
My partner ordered a starter, yet I refrained knowing that the mains were quite large - which disappointed our waiter.
Mains were ok- nice, not amazing.
When me is came back round for dessert- we were both too full, and the waiter snatched our menus out of our hands and ushered us off!
Very rude- far more restaurants in London worth the money for a far better experience.