“Avoid at all costs”

Elephant Royale - Docklands
Price range: US$38 - US$51
Cuisines: Asian, Thai
Good for: Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Groups, View
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Drinks, Dinner, Buffet, Delivery, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighbourhood: Docklands / Canary Wharf / Isle of Dogs
Reading, United Kingdom
“Avoid at all costs”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

I've visited this place 3 times in the last 9 months, all awful for different reasons

1) Booked a table for 2, walked in the river entrance and sat at the bar with my partner. Watched a barman make drinks and waitresses walk around for 15 mins, they all ignored us so we left

2) Walked in ad hoc and was given a seat, Ordered some beef dish with a pad thai and my partner ordered something else. The beef was tough as boot leather so I called the waitress over and asked her to take it back and give me the same dish but with chicken, a menu option. I also asked her to replace the pad thai as it would be cold when the new dish arrived. She agreed to replace the beef dish with a chicken variant but refused to replace the pad thai as I had eaten a mouthful of it. I told her to take it all away and I would only pay for the wine. The manageress arrived shortly after and replaced both the dish and the pad thai, but no discount was given when the bill was presented.

3) At #2 decided never to eat there again but a nice place to have a drink by the Thames anyway. No one in the restaurant but a few people enjoying drinks. Ordered a couple of cocktails and after 15 mins and several chases simply left and went somewhere else.

I will never go back.

1 Thank Richard M

London, United Kingdom
“Perfectly pleasant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

Just back from a lovely lunch at the Elephant Royale.
I have been several times and should go more often , this time I went for lunch and sat outside on the terrace in the sun.
Had a very reasonable lunch , 3 courses £12.

Visited July 2014
London, United Kingdom
“OK Quality, but a bit over-priced”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014

A Beautiful place to sit, especially when weather is nice and you can sit just by the river. However quality of the Food is a bit too far from Thai standards and as result of that a little bit over-priced. I was expecting something better from that place, but it turned out that you're paying for being in nice scenery not fro great food.

My advice, if you want to sit down by the river for a cocktail, great place, as all the cocktails are made from fresh fruits etc.

Not the best place for proper Thai cuisine, and over priced

London
“Lovely setting”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014

I was nearly put off this restaurant by some of the bad reviews here but I am glad I took them with a pinch of salt. It's not the most amazing place, but the staff were friendly, the cocktails were good and the food was fine. It's worth going for the setting alone though with lovely views out over the river.

Visited May 2014
United Kingdom
“One I won't return to”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014 via mobile

Following my recent stay in London whilst exhibiting at Grand Designs live we had the pleasure of experiencing a selection of restaurants in the area for our evening meals the elephant royale looked like a professional restaurant up on first inspection and you would expect things to be good with the kitchen being visible through a large clear window.
The seating was uncomfortable to start with. The staff were friendly but the food was awful and the price extortionate for the low quality of food served !
Having visited thailand on 2 holidays don't let this restaurant put you off Thai food ! There were 4 of us eating at the restaurant and it was our worst experience during our stay.