“Seem to have lost their magic touch”

Masala Zone Earls Court
Ranked #3,017 of 27,213 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$20 - US$46
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Neighbourhood: South Kensington
Description: At Masala Zone Earls Court, we have a passion for making sure customers have an enjoyable time – delicious genuine Indian food, newly renovated exciting interiors and great staff. The restaurant is highly acclaimed. Evening Standard has rated us as one of London’s six best Indian restaurants, Zagat Restaurants Survey as London’s Most Popular Restaurant Group; Daily Telegraph as one of London’s best restaurants. We unusually combine a panoramic range of proper Indian food - pioneering street food, thalis (the balanced family platters), daily changing freshly made vegetables, flavourful grills, regional curries, biryanis. Our food is uniquely from the true sources of Indian food – the gourmet homes & street stalls across India’s regions.
Reviewed 12 November 2018

We went to the Masala Zone maybe 18 months ago, and it was a first class experience. Delicious food, good service. Not cheap, but you got what you paid for. This time around (November 2018) standards have fallen. Quite significantly really. The food was average. When I think back to the delicious food I had previously this was on a different planet. And not in a good way. I had a chicken Biryani - the rice was dry, the flavour never really happened and it was lacking in chicken. My friends, who had all been with me on our previous visit, agreed that their food was nowhere near as good as before - their Thalis looked nothing like Masala Zone's adverts and were described as "underwhelming" by my friends. To be fair our starters were good - we had some pani puri and vegetarian samosas etc, but the main courses were a let down. And they weren't busy when we got there. Perhaps there's a rota change on a Monday night, but for us there is a feeling we wont hurry back. Real shame.

Date of visit: November 2018
Write a ReviewReviews (1,212)

Reviewed 12 November 2018

We tried to dinner at Masala Zone in Earls Court and it was one of our favourite experiences, we didn't know what we had to order, but they recommend us and it was a really good choice.
Everything was really fine.

Reviewed 7 November 2018

Went there two nights running on my last business trip to London

Food is as good as ever (and it really is very good), however I found that on both evenings the service was slower and less attentive than it has been. They were slow taking the order and slow bringing drinks.

Having said that it is still one of my favourites and I will be back again next week!

Date of visit: October 2018
Reviewed 6 November 2018

I remember going to the first restaurant in Soho and this is my first visit for about 15 years, since their rise to a chain.

The service was good, by a waitress who knew all about the dishes and the decor was very nice. The staff were the best thing about it.

We ordered thali, which was only OK. Not bad, nothing special either but very expensive for what it was.

Served on big silver plates, which I'm not sure is the best was to present it, it looked odd. It was all a little too oily and just about average. The grand thali aren't worth the extra money. You get yoghurt & rice but they give you less beard than a standard thali.

Dessert menu is limited. Kulfi wasn't good and the carrot halwai was OK, but very expensive.

Masala Zone has nothing on many smaller independent restaurants but is about twice the price.

It seems to run on tourists.

It wasn't terrible, but due to the hefty price tag, I won't be back.

Date of visit: October 2018
1  Thank BiscuitJoint
Reviewed 6 November 2018 via mobile

From the moment we walked in the service was excellent we were greeted shown to our table given menus and drinks served very quick. Nothing was to much trouble and would explain anything you wanted to know. The food was fantastic never had Indian food like it. Can’t wait to go back there so many things I wanted to try.