“Afternoon Tea”

Olio Bar & Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Olio Bar & Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #12,730 of 22,373 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$0 - US$45
Cuisines: Malaysian
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
London, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Afternoon Tea”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2014

Booked afternoon tea as a birthday present for my mum. What a huge disappointment! On arrival our reservations for four could not be found. Once seated in a cold summer room (two of us kept our coats on it was that cold) we were given menus that did not have any details of teas or sandwiches in them. The Champagne arrived and a glass was promptly spilt over my mum. The waitress was indifferent and used our napkins to clean the table, my mum, the menus and the cup dowsed in champagne. I had to ask for another table as our tablecloth was not changed.
We were moved to another cold cramped table. We had to ask for the replacement champagne. When asked which tea we wanted and the waitress was told the menus did not contain the options, she stood in front of us opened each menu as if I was lying and then said 'Oh yes'.
Three pots of tea arrived, nice large pots, however the teapots were dirty and chipped at the spouts (all three!) including the milk jug. I had to ask for a cup to drink my tea! A cup arrived with no saucer! We asked for a saucer and two side plates were given. I gave up!
The sandwiches were nice the cakes mediocre, nothing special. Everything just fell short of expectations. In fact we left most of the cakes.
With vouchers we paid less than half prices, however we still felt robbed!
Absolutely awful, a complete comedy of errors, which we laughed at but if it had not been for our mother we would have complained bitterly and left after the champagne incident.

1 Thank T W

“Very nice”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2013 via mobile

We really enjoyed out afternoon tea at Olio! We were one hour early and they did not hesitate to accommodate. They set us up in a lovely spot with nice views and just topped off the whole experience with some well needed tea and some very tasty sandwichs and cakes. Deffo recommend this place.

Oxford, United Kingdom
“Average food, but convenient”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2013

The restaurant was part of the hotel, so useful if you don't want to travel very far. However was probably over-priced for what was actually served. Food was fine for lunch, but probably wouldn't go out of my way to have dinner there. Pleasant staff, perhaps a bit slow but not terribly so and would only annoy those customers who have extremely impatient high standards.

• Visited July 2013
Derry, United Kingdom
“Poor restaurant avoid”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2013

Having checked into the hotel after 8 pm we decided to have dinner in the Olio restaurant . The menu looked interesting and we opted for set dinner 2 courses for £26 We ordered around 8.45 and there were only about 6 other diners in the restaurant. It was almost 9.30 however before we got our starters. I had goat's cheese and leek twice cooked souffle which had obviously gone wrong somewhere and was as flat as a pancake and tiny - you could have eaten it in one mouthful. My daughter ordered confit of duck leg with crispy duck crackling , what arrived however was shredded duck (the type you get in Chinese restaurants with pancakes ) and no duck crackling in sight. It was bland and tasteless .For mains I had ordered duck breast and my daughter lamb. The waiter arrived with a duck and a chicken dish ,when we pointed out his mistake he took away the chicken in the meantime I tasted my duck and figured that it might indeed be lamb- so tastless it was hard to tell what it was . After about 5 mins he returned and said that indeed my duck was lamb and that I would have to wait to get the duck. We had already waited so long I said that I'd eat the chicken . It was a plain piece of grilled chicken breast edible , the dauphinoise potatoes that came with it were ok. My daughter's lamb was on a bed of mash which had obviously been microwaved . With this we had a glass of wine each at £7.95!!! ( I think). We did not order desserts after the fiasco of the first two courses. When we got the bill they did give us 20% discount because of the mistake on the order but it was a poor evening all round . We had planned to buy breakfast in the morning but gave it a miss as result.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank holidayseeker
Croydon
“Afternoon Tea - great offer through Groupon”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2013 via mobile

I purchased an afternoon tea offer for this hotel through Groupon. I was really impressed.

The food was lovely, fresh and tasty. Good value at £29 for two (with champagne).

Service was very good.

Would defo recommend as a Groupon deal but don't think I would be happy paying the full price of £30 each.