“Great location but poor food and cold, slow service”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of The Queens

The Queens
Ranked #6,856 of 22,373 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$12 - US$19
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Child-friendly, Bar Scene
Dining options: Drinks, Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighbourhood: Regent's Park / Kings Cross
London, United Kingdom
“Great location but poor food and cold, slow service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2014

I came here with 3 friends as we live locally and often walk in Primrose Hill. We were looking for somewhere for brunch and stopped off at The Queens. After ordering food, it took 30 minutes for 4 breakfasts to arrive. During this time I ordered a coffee which also took about 15 minutes to arrive. Once she had dropped off the last plate, the waitress asked us was everything ok. My friend commented that her food was very cold. As I had ordered the same thing the waitress turned to me, without apologising to my friend, and asked if mine was also cold. When I said yes, it was, she replied that hollandaise sauce is supposed to be cold. I asked if the toast also supposed to be cold. To which she replied it had been delivered that morning and was lightly toasted. But did not respond to either of our comments on the temperature of the food. The plate being cold did not help and I understand that sometimes hollandaise sauce may be served cold if that is the chefs preference, however I have eaten a lot of eggs Benedict in my time and I have never had one where all components of the meal were stone cold. I was surprised at the reaction of the waitress. Both other parties at our table commented on their food being adequate at best. Given the cost of the meal, we felt the entire experience was greatly overpriced. To add to that, one of our coffees was put down as more expensive then the other, for the same thing and we were overcharged by £2, although this was returned only after I questioned the waitress. I would not return here due to the unapologetic, unfriendly service more then anything.

• Visited March 2014

London, England, United Kingdom
“determined to be grim”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2014

We arrived latish for Sunday Lunch, they claimed to have been very busy with the first weekend of the 6 nations which would not explain the surley barmaid barging around and dumping dirty crockery at the end of the bar. As it was mid afternoon they had run out of vegetarian options other than gnocci. The credit card machines failed as I was about to pay for drinks and the barmaid, upgraded to an ironic happy from surley, suggested I use the shop next door for cashback, so I went and bought food. Some moments later on my return the beer, still sitting on the bar, had settled to those clotted little lumps. Nevertheless we ordered the gnocci and a burger with thrice cooked chips which was on a deal with a pint; without telling me my particular beer was not included in the deal I retain the voucher for a pint but its unlikely I will get to redeem, much less enjoy it.
The gnocci and pumpkin had been diced by the playgroup that day and boiled then fried. Like many englishmen I was brought up on fried or boiled food and having grown out of that was surprised The Queens had managed to inflict both cooking styles on those lumpy masses, inspiration now exhausted my rubbery but tasty burger and floppy pallid chips were complemented by by a public whinge from the barmaid who felt she needed to come to our table and ventilate about how hard she worked and how little appreciation her customers showered upon her. Oh, and no water bowl for the dog which is poor considering the pub is right next door to primrose hill and opposite a very good pet shop.

• Visited February 2014
London, United Kingdom
“Perfect for a Primrose Hill Sunday”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2014

So...the Queens hold the spot for a pub in Primrose Hill - right next to the park. You pretty well trip over their doorstep if you want to go for a walk. So it would be perfectly easy for them to be overpriced and average.

Refreshingly they haven't gone down that route and instead remain a well-managed busy boozer with good food, good service and a proper pubby atmosphere.

And as with all the best pubs they are completely dog friendly, right down to the jar of treats by the open fireplace.

Their Sunday roast is pretty reasonably priced for the area and is really excellent. None of us have had the stomach to try the Queen of Roasts yet, which is basically ALL the roast dinners on one plate. One day I'll be hungry enough!

The first time I had lunch there it was a bit disappointing. They basically had a really bad day which can happen anywhere. What doesn't happen everywhere is for a problem to be acknowledged and dealt with completely graciously (we were given a discount towards another meal which we had and was wonderful). That's the sign of a really well-run pub.

Book ahead on a Sunday. Everybody and his dog goes!

• Visited January 2014
London, England, United Kingdom
“Standards plumetting”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2014

This is a lovely pub in a superb location, but the standards are just plumetting. The food service, especially at lunchtime is rather poor. The chips, described as triple fried, were soggy, wet and tasted of oil. The ladies on the table next to me were discussing them and I heard them say that the oil wasn't hot enough whcih explained why they were so bad. We started a conversation and concluded thatr they failed the McDonalds test (i.e. weren't as good as).

On previous visits I've had the pleasure of overhearing the manager(?) trying to train the foreign staff. That should be done in private, not in front of customers.

The saving grace: the sausage rolls.

• Visited January 2014
South Yorkshire
“WARM WELCOME BUT AVERAGE FOOD”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2013 via mobile

Lovely spot in Primrose Hill and very welcoming staff. Food reasonably priced for London but somewhat average. Pleasant enough but nothing sparkling.

• Visited October 2013