“Great food, if the staff are on your side”
Review of The Queens

The Queens
Ranked #6,214 of 23,211 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$12 - US$20
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Regent's Park / Kings Cross
Reviewed 12 April 2014

So the menu is great, it can be a bit busy with tourists but the basics of a great pub are there. The only thing right now that is letting it down is the staff, I can appreciate it is busy but frankly they don't care. There are plenty of great pubs nearby that do, so walk another 2 mins and visit one of the great pubs in Primrose with great people behind the bars.

There are newer reviews for The Queens

Reviewed 7 April 2014

Visited here on Saturday as it was next to the Park.
Not too expensive slightly cramped tables & we didn't fancy being Johnny no-mates in the empty first floor dining room.
Def. above average food - mussels for the Boss chicken Kiev (child of the 70's so I'm a glutton for the revival!) & tasty fish + chips. Youngs beer very agreeable.

Ambience good helpful staff so a shame whole pub felt like it needed a damn good clean.

Reviewed 21 March 2014

N51°32.422' W0°9.446' The pub is downstairs and upstairs the restaurant with a “chefs table” up to 10 people in front of the kitchen and beyond the staircase tables for lunch and dinner. From the balcony of the Queens kitchen you have a nice, but not amazing, view over Pimrose Hill. During our visit in April 2013, outside temperature was below zero Celsius, so the balcony was not an option. We ordered a mackerel salad and a burger with two Kronenbourg beers. Nice food with good service.

Reviewed 11 March 2014

I came here with 3 friends as we live locally and often walk in Primrose Hill. We were looking for somewhere for brunch and stopped off at The Queens. After ordering food, it took 30 minutes for 4 breakfasts to arrive. During this time I ordered a coffee which also took about 15 minutes to arrive. Once she had dropped off the last plate, the waitress asked us was everything ok. My friend commented that her food was very cold. As I had ordered the same thing the waitress turned to me, without apologising to my friend, and asked if mine was also cold. When I said yes, it was, she replied that hollandaise sauce is supposed to be cold. I asked if the toast also supposed to be cold. To which she replied it had been delivered that morning and was lightly toasted. But did not respond to either of our comments on the temperature of the food. The plate being cold did not help and I understand that sometimes hollandaise sauce may be served cold if that is the chefs preference, however I have eaten a lot of eggs Benedict in my time and I have never had one where all components of the meal were stone cold. I was surprised at the reaction of the waitress. Both other parties at our table commented on their food being adequate at best. Given the cost of the meal, we felt the entire experience was greatly overpriced. To add to that, one of our coffees was put down as more expensive then the other, for the same thing and we were overcharged by £2, although this was returned only after I questioned the waitress. I would not return here due to the unapologetic, unfriendly service more then anything.

Reviewed 3 February 2014

We arrived latish for Sunday Lunch, they claimed to have been very busy with the first weekend of the 6 nations which would not explain the surley barmaid barging around and dumping dirty crockery at the end of the bar. As it was mid afternoon they had run out of vegetarian options other than gnocci. The credit card machines failed as I was about to pay for drinks and the barmaid, upgraded to an ironic happy from surley, suggested I use the shop next door for cashback, so I went and bought food. Some moments later on my return the beer, still sitting on the bar, had settled to those clotted little lumps. Nevertheless we ordered the gnocci and a burger with thrice cooked chips which was on a deal with a pint; without telling me my particular beer was not included in the deal I retain the voucher for a pint but its unlikely I will get to redeem, much less enjoy it.
The gnocci and pumpkin had been diced by the playgroup that day and boiled then fried. Like many englishmen I was brought up on fried or boiled food and having grown out of that was surprised The Queens had managed to inflict both cooking styles on those lumpy masses, inspiration now exhausted my rubbery but tasty burger and floppy pallid chips were complemented by by a public whinge from the barmaid who felt she needed to come to our table and ventilate about how hard she worked and how little appreciation her customers showered upon her. Oh, and no water bowl for the dog which is poor considering the pub is right next door to primrose hill and opposite a very good pet shop.