“Awful”

Ranked #12,866 of 25,021 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Dining options: Takeout
Neighbourhood: City of London
Description: Bright and modern, PizzaExpress London Wall Alban Gate offers an exciting reinvention of Italian classics. A vibrant menu includes wholesome Romana-style pizzas with adventurous topping combinations, as well as fresh salads, an impressive range behind the bar and aromatic coffee blends. Family-friendly Pizza Express gives kids the chance to design their own pizzas.
Reviewed 5 November 2017 via mobile

The spaghetti bolognese was appalling and the portion size is ridiculous. It was overlooked penne not spaghetti and the meat was lousy. What a rip off!!!

Reviewed 4 October 2017 via mobile

Work group meal out. The food was ok but the service very mediocre. We tried to leave a smaller tip but the waitress insisted we pay in full. This was after telling us we were £100 short which was in fact on the silver plate in her hand. She just didn't get it!

Reviewed 24 September 2017 via mobile

I’m genuinely surprised they are still in business. Incredibly slow service and food is appalling - we only ate a few slices of our pizzas. Felt very much like the private equity owners are trying to squeeze out every penny! I will never eat at a pizza express again.

Reviewed 2 August 2017 via mobile

Our visit here has really put me off returning to a pizza express again!

From the minute we walked in we felt the atmosphere was negative. The staff were not friendly and we were seated on our own on one side of the restaurant while any other customers were seated on the other side. The only other people to eat on our side were employees.

The staff who took our orders had a real non-chalant attitude towards us and made us feel very unwelcome. In all honesty, if the children were not all hungry I would have got up and left. The children were not offered the usual packs to keep them entertained while waiting for their food and when we asked about certain toppings for the pizza we were met with "we don't have that" in a really blunt tone. At one point we asked for a jug of water (after already ordering other drinks) and the waiter slammed the jug down on the table and walked away, not a word shared. Even when it came to the children's desserts it was a blunt "do you want desserts?" Rather than bringing the menus over for the children to look. By this point my friend and I actually wanted to leave the restaurant as we felt uncomfortable and ignored.

I walked away from the restaurant feeling like the experience had ruined what had been a really great day up to that point. The experience has also put me off wanting to dine at Pizza Express anymore as I feel eating out is just as much about the experience as it is the food.

Reviewed 7 July 2017

I decided after this second incident today that I am not coming back to this branch again. It's a nice location and it's clean and well-designed, but there are clearly some underlying problems judging by my experiences. A month ago I ordered the gluten free Veneziana pizza and they told me upfront they had no capers (which are listed as part of the recipe). Capers are important because they add a little tartness which nicely complements the mozzarella and fried onions and sultanas. When all those ingredients are present it makes for a very nice combination of flavours. I had the pizza anyhow but thought to myself - why should I pay full-price when I am not getting the full flavour combination? They had not offered any price reduction but I asked for 50 p off and got it although I could tell the waiter was irritated. Today I ordered the same meal and when it arrived I discovered no capers AND no pine kernels!! They had not said anything. This was so annoying. TWO of the five main ingredients missing. When I raised it the manager apologised and I got some chutney and cold spinach as side-dishes.Frankly this did not really work. I told the Manager it was completely unacceptable not to say anything, basically they were hoping the customer would not notice. She then said said they had had problems with their supplier of capers for over a month (!!) and that the lack of pine kernels was a separate mistake in the kitchen. In the end they cancellled the cost of the meal and gave me some 2-for 1 vouchers. But as I pointed out to the manager she should have cancelled the meal straightaway because again it felt I had to pressurise to get a result. I am not going to this branch again.