“Birthday after theatre dinner”
Review of Porters English Restaurant - MOVED

Porters English Restaurant
Price range: US$0 - US$47
Cuisines: British
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Covent Garden
Description: Established by the seventh Earl of Bradford to serve 'good, simple, traditional English dishes', Porters remains a succulent stronghold of hearty British fare. Situated in busy Covent Garden, the relaxed and family-friendly restaurant offers a well-priced range of classics such as steak and kidney pudding, beer battered cod and chips and shepherd's pie. There are afternoon and evening fixed price menus, including one for post-theatre diners, and afternoon tea is available.
Reviewed 18 July 2014

Took my grown up daughter back to our favourite restaurant for dinner after our trip to see the Phatom for her birthday. We are usually very pleased with the experience and this was to live up to our expectations. Our reservation was ready upon our arrival and we were shown to a side table downstairs and service was prompt but not hurried. My pie arrived with chips instead of the veg that I had ordered but this was corrected with no fuss and the chips made complimentary. All in all a good place to eat based upon its position being near to Covent Garden and also close to many theatres and also Charing Cross station.

Reviewed 17 July 2014

First visit to Porters and was not disappointed. Good service, no rushing and an excellent choice of English food. The chicken bacon and mushroom pie was cooked to perfection, ample portions of chips and vegetables. Chicken liver pate for starters was also very good.
Would not hesitate to visit again, good value for money especially in Covent Garden

Reviewed 17 July 2014

I had eaten here years ago and remembered it fondly. I don't know whether the quality has changed dramatically or that I now have a better appreciation and understanding of traditional English food. My pie--the crust was soggy and there was absolutely no flavor in the sauce, though there was quite a bit of meat. The side of mashed potatoes was awful. It tasted like the potatoes had been mashed with water, rather than milk and butter. Fuller's pubs make decent pies. Go there.

3  Thank Stubtail
lordofthepieslondon, Owner at Porters English Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

This appears to be malicious as the reviewer has blocked any replies when I have tried to find out some actual details, like what pie he was not happy with and when he ate in the restaurant. Yet another blow to the credibility of TripAdvisor. If you are ever not pleased by any of the food at Porters, say something at the time, then everyone will end with a happier experience. Seeing as he expresses fondness in the past for the restaurant, maybe he might contact me if he reads this.

Reviewed 17 July 2014

Typical English cuisine and a cosy atmosphere at the restaurant. Good service and very helpful. The children also had a nice evening out. And the restaurant had a Birthday campaign, when we where eating at the restaurant, so the children eat free of charge!

1  Thank Mblorup
Reviewed 16 July 2014 via mobile

Nice customer service, decent selection of beers and ales. I was pretty unimpressed by the food: I ordered a traditional Beef, Guinness and mushroom pie with mashed potatoes. The pie was decent, but the mashed potato was definitely a precooked one, heated probably in a microwave. Inadequate.

2  Thank prof_rikk