“Excellent Pies”

Cuisines: British
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Covent Garden
Description: Established by the seventh Earl of Bradford to serve 'good, simple, traditional English dishes', Porters remains a succulent stronghold of hearty British fare. Situated in busy Covent Garden, the relaxed and family-friendly restaurant offers a well-priced range of classics such as steak and kidney pudding, beer battered cod and chips and shepherd's pie. There are afternoon and evening fixed price menus, including one for post-theatre diners, and afternoon tea is available.
“Excellent Pies”
Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

Great traditional british restaurant in Covent Garden. Interior decor as in a pub, pies are wonderful. We found it to be a great value, kids menu and a good choice of wines. Would certainly recommend.

Visited July 2014

• Turkish first
San Jose, CA
“Great local food and beer!”
Reviewed 23 July 2014

We really enjoyed this classic, English food restaurant. Our concierge recommended it and it was perfect. They have a great selection of meat pies and puddings that are English through and through. While the English aren't known for their food, this really gave us the best of what they have. It's right downton but lots of other shops and restaurants so being in a place with a lot of action was nice too.
I had steak and ale pie. My son had the chicken pie. Our friends shared the Yorkshire Pudding. We also had the mushroom appetizers. All were easy to eat. We were so stuff we really couldn't have dessert which was a pity since they have a large selection of sweet pudding dishes.
My advise would be to skip the appetizers so you can save room for dessert!
Service was really good. The pints of beer we had were perfect for us and kept coming.
Overall it was a bit expensive so don't go there expecting a bargain.

Los Angeles, California
“Repeat customer”
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Our internet guru and production assistant Chrissy's father in law recommended Porters from his London trips and he knows his food and restaurants. The desk guy at the Radisson we were staying at says he goes there himself. It was a nice day so we walked using GPS to guide us. I'd never had Shepherds Pie and don't know what the standard is, but I loved it. Never had mashed potatoes that way. But I can't find it in the States that taste as good. Porters might consider opening a location here in Los Angeles. If you have room, try the chocolate cake. We split a piece. Excellent too. The really cool thing is that even though we were tourists, we were totally welcome as though locals. In the countryside we find that to be common, but rare in the City. We even got into a conversation with the couple at the table beside us and they told us about their upcoming trip to Florida. Service was precise and friendly and the prices were not that bad considering we were in London.

London, United Kingdom
“mod satis but only just”
Reviewed 19 July 2014

There has been a lot of comment recently about supermarkets making their food taste like restaurant food. I think Porters has managed the opposite, and the lunch I had there from the pre dinner menu at £14.95 tasted formulaic and looked like chain restaurant food.
It was hot, well presented and there was nothing wrong with it, but it was a bit ordinary, and like the stuff you buy from Sainsbury's.
I had the chicken liver pate to start, which had a glaze of jelly on top and onion relish and bread.
The consistency was very smooth and could have been firmer. Taste was ok but a tiny bit synthetic. Portion size was fine.
For main, from the limited choice, I had the steak and kidney pudding and chips. The appearance was fine, but I guess I like my puddings traditional, and this had an inner coating of caramelised onion, and there was very little kidney to find. The crust to content ratio was indifferent, but not as bad as some I have had in the past. It simply did not taste like steak and kidney pudding, but was acceptable. No leavings.
Service was excellent, but he place was pretty empty at 1230 on a hot July Thursday. The staff we anxious to put us in a window table which they had done to others. The price is fair value for money, but you could do better.
It was ok, but I am not rushing to go back there.

1 Thank mgoldman666
lordofthepieslondon, Owner at Porters English Restaurant, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
I take this review as a huge - but accidental - compliment to the consistent nature of our delightful homemade dishes that they look so perfect so he assumed that we were a chain restaurant with bought-in food, even after my response to him, he said that he ate at our Henrietta Street, Covent Garden branch, even though I had told him that Porters is a one-off, created by me over thirty five years ago to serve reasonably priced, real, homemade English dishes. To quote him, he said, "What this was about was the fact that I thought that this did not taste like home-made food, which of course is rarely consistent, and the impression it left me with was that it tasted more like what I might have experienced with supermarket prepared meal food."
Thorney, United Kingdom
“Birthday after theatre dinner”
Reviewed 18 July 2014

Took my grown up daughter back to our favourite restaurant for dinner after our trip to see the Phatom for her birthday. We are usually very pleased with the experience and this was to live up to our expectations. Our reservation was ready upon our arrival and we were shown to a side table downstairs and service was prompt but not hurried. My pie arrived with chips instead of the veg that I had ordered but this was corrected with no fuss and the chips made complimentary. All in all a good place to eat based upon its position being near to Covent Garden and also close to many theatres and also Charing Cross station.