“Not Sapporo's finest hour”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Sapporo Ichiban

Sapporo Ichiban
Ranked #14,106 of 22,376 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$30 - US$37
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian
Good for: Child-friendly, Kids
London, United Kingdom
“Not Sapporo's finest hour”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2014

We've been coming to this good value Japanese restaurant for years. It's tucked away behind Lewisham Town Hall and attracts a lively lunchtime as well as evening crowd. Normally it has been fine but on this latest visit things simply fell apart. It was very full - a sign of success perhaps - but the staff simply weren't coping. We waited an hour for our starters of edamame and mixed tempura. After a further 45 minutes waiting for our main courses we abandoned the quest, paid up and left. We got no more than a mumbled apology. Meanwhile on top of the counter was a jumble of unfulfilled meal orders that simply weren't being picked up.
We'll be back for another try, because we like the food and the location is really convenient. But they'll have to do better than this. It may be that they should shorten the (incredibly long) menu and re-think their arrangements for take-always, which were clearly taking a lot of staff time while eat-in diners waited, and waited, and waited.

• Visited January 2014

London, United Kingdom
“Fantastic Japanese offering in Catford”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2013 via mobile

This place was recommended to me by a friend and I was not disappointed. Fresh, tasty and authentic Japanese cuisine with warm and friendly service and is excellent value for money. I've taken friends there and it has met the approval of even the fussiest of eaters. I highly recommend this place.

Visited September 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Amazing food, amazing price”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2013

I went to Sapporo Ichiban last night and OH MY GOSH!

Food was delicious and the price unbelievable, I can't believe there is something this good right on my doorstep. Most defiantly one of the best meals I have had.

Service was great admittedly it wasn't busy, but very friendly indeed.

I will definably be going back and would recommend again and again.

Who knew Catford had such a hidden gem!

• Visited July 2013
London, UK
“Japanese in Catford?”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2013

What a find!! And in an unexpected place. Living in Croydon, a sushi desert - unless you want to eat mid day, we resorted to the internet, desperate for sushi on a Sunday evening and found Sapporo Ichiban, and we are so pleased. Catford seems to us to be an unlikely spot for Japanese food, but it was great. A full range of Japanese classics is on offer, from Katsu Curry to sushi all at a reasonable price, friendly mad helpful service. This is a restaurant that we will revisit. Just be warned parking was difficult on a Sunday, so may be best to use the carpark. If you are not sure where it is, it is not far from the Ram behind the civic centre.

• Visited May 2013
“Great place!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2013 via mobile

I dined here last Sunday night. It was recommended by some friends so thought I'd try it as I love sushi. I wasn't disappointed. The food was excellent, very fresh and the sake a perfect accompaniment. We met the owner, a lovely lady named Masa who was really friendly and helpful. For dessert I had chestnut icecream which was a first, delicious! Go and try it out. It's in a street in Catford where you wouldn't expect to find such a hidden gem. My only complaint was the music, I would've liked it to be more traditional. But that's just my taste!

• Visited April 2013