“Legend no more”

Cuisines: Pakistani, Bangladeshi
Neighbourhood: Spitalfields
Neighbourhood: Spitalfields
Reviewed 27 March 2012

I remember when sweet and spicy once use to be famed for its long lunch time queue filled with locals - but now went there on a Friday eve. This is an Indian equivalent of a greasy spoon cafe - that was once a legend - but now it's just degraded into a poor quality, tasteless, cheap restaurant that doesnt have much to offer. It's definately cheap but not so cheerful. The portions are good, the main meals are cheap but lack the quality and love that use to be in the food. It's famed for its world wrestling champion owner who has long since gone but a shame that it has been let down by quality

There are newer reviews for Sweet & Spicy

Reviewed 11 October 2011

I've been going to sweet and spicy for.several years now and it is definitely my favourite restaurant on brick lane. You have to choose carefully but there are some excellent dishes. Their Pilau rice is the best I've ever tasted, even if they do reheat it.I usually have the spicy lamb curry or a biryani with a seekh Lebanese on the side. The breakfast is also very good. I'd recommend this place for a cheap filling lunch if you're in the area.

Reviewed 3 January 2011

From the decor, sweet and spicy is my kind of place - relaxed cafe-style food. However, I was disappointed. The curries are hot, but lacking in depth. The bread was soggy, and had been microwaved, as had the samosas. There are better places on Brick Lane, or try Whitechapel.

1  Thank Jezza_81186338
Reviewed 3 April 2010

i like this place, not your typical curry house at all ,walk in see what they have already cooked and choose .
gourmet food this is not but it was tasty ,inexpensive.quick and the mango lassi and dessert was great .not a place to go out on a date or even for a night out just
good cheap curry in rustic surroundings with free water .sometimes that is what i want,

1  Thank musicsavedmylife2
Reviewed 28 September 2009

For the last 6 months I have been working down the road of this Indian restaurant.
When looking at it from the outside it is hard to know that the food served here is actually very good - and this is even after they re-decorated! :-)

But - the food IS good. I work in a very international company were a couple of my colleagues are English with Indian roots - or how you say.
They recommended the Sweet & Spicy and took me there for lunch once - and we have been going many times since.

The previous reviewer mentions they use microwave - it is true they re-heat e.g. their Naan bread and Pilau Rice etc. But I believe that is better than having them simmer at a degree where the bacteria is able to thrive.
In my (and my colleagues) view - this Indian do good food for a decent money.

1  Thank Banko-DK