“Good honest food”

Neighbourhood: City of London
Watford, United Kingdom
“Good honest food”
Reviewed 30 June 2013 via mobile

We have been a number of times and find the value for money quite good. We tend to go for the Korean Bibimbap set (seafood, beef), which is served on a piping hot stoneware plate. You then mix the ingredients yourself, which also cooks the food and creates different textures of crunchy and soft. Good value for money, but do not expect a traditional restaurant setting. The tables are long and you sit on benches canteen-style.

• Visited June 2013

London
“Japanese Canteen, Middlesex Street - "What's with the attitude?"”
Reviewed 20 May 2013

I thought the food is great and good value for money, but the service could be better.

I approached the person at the counter to place my order, a pretty-looking Spanish girl(I think), who excused herself as she had to go see to a customer at a table. No problem; I waited until she returned and gestured me to speak. When I was about mid-sentence, without any explanation, she suddenly checked something on her calculator, ignoring me. Right. Finally she looked up giving me her full attention and said : "What do you want?"
What do I want?? What do we all want? What is the meaning of life? Why do birds fly?
I figured maybe she was having a really bad day and proceeded with my order.

The waitress who delivered my food to the table simply put it down and walked away. No smile, no "enjoy your meal", no nothing; pretty stuck-up, really.
All of the staff there appeared to have the same attitude so I don't know whether they're being terribly treated, overworked, underpaid or whether it's just the way they are, but I've seen much more friendlier service pretty much everywhere else in London.
Food tastes great, though, and lots to choose from (Japanese, Chinese, Korean, Thai too, me thinks).

• Visited May 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Japanese Canteen - Middlesex St”
Reviewed 17 May 2013

Good chicken teriyaki bento...a bit on the sweet side. Yummy sides and a lot of chicken, rice was very bad though. Didn't try it but they also have bubble tea and Korean specials. Very large sitting area, have student discount and good service, had to wait about 10 minutes. Will def come back!

• Visited May 2013
Lynbrook, New York
“Like the taste of my food.”
Reviewed 23 March 2013

I was looking for a light lunch and I found the Japanese Canteen at Great Tower St.

The counter person was so busy closing his register, counting money he didn't acknowledge me.

The ramen chicken soup was good, great flavor and decent portion.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank marcelonyc
London
“Decent food, poor service”
Reviewed 3 February 2013

The food served in this semi fast food restaurant is decent for the price paid. However their staff and whole management of restaurant is a huge let down. Sign outside of restaurant shows £2.95/pint of beer however charged £3.45. The staff on the counter was not apologetic at all when mistake was pointed out. Then she charged us £28,000 on credit card machine instead £28. Simple mistake yet could be disastorous if we didn't spot it.

1 Thank MVP85