“My new favourite place - great service, value, food & cocktails. What's not to like?”
Review of The Cuban - Citypoint - CLOSED

The Cuban - Citypoint
Price range: US$27 - US$40
Cuisines: Cuban
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Neighbourhood: City of London
Reviewed 19 October 2013

Genuinely very surprised by some of the reviews below (so much so I had to double check the address and make sure it was the same place), as following last nights dinner, I have nothing but good things to say about this place.

The music was great, loud enough to create a lively vibe for those out for their Friday night drinks, but quiet enough that you could still chat and not have to shout at your dinner companion (a bugbear of mine in London restaurants). The tables were well spaced so your neighbours weren't pracatically on your lap (another London restaurant bugbear of mine).

My friend was about 45 mins late, and the waitresses couldn't have been nicer (think they thought I'd been stood up : ). They were attentive and friendly, but not bothersome (another London restaurant bugbear of mine), and even the manager came over towards the end of the meal to ask if we were happy with our meal (which we certainly were).

The food was both lovely and plentiful. We were actually on a wowcher, but even without the wowcher the prices looked very reasonable to me, and I'd have no qualms at all about paying normal prices, not least because I think from 5-8 its happy hour on certain cocktails which were £4.50. In London!
Speaking of wowcher (or any kind of voucher/coupon), you usually get treated with mild, barely concealed disgust rather than as a valued customer who might return, as in most places (in my experience), but there was none of that here, which is why my friend and I have already arranged to go again in a couple of months.

Only thing I would change if I could was I'd make it easier to find. Forget the Ropemaker St bit, and just head for City Point tower and you're there.

Reviewed 20 September 2013 via mobile

I wasn't looking for anything gormet to eat when out with a friend, and we stumbled across The Cuban. A fairly average tapas bar with fairly average food. Not disappointed, not over excited either.
The ham and cheese croquettes are very nice!
Service was just ok.
I would go back if I was in the area and not looking for anything fancy.

Reviewed 10 August 2013

I ordered a £5 Spanish Meat Tapas and got two slices of salami, two very small slices of ham and...a very old Kraft processed cheese slice cut into four! The Cuban music included Elton John, Take That, and Boyzone! Paella was OK and service was good. Cocktails were OK and at least tasted Cuban. There was a strange smell of air freshener, but that may have been some-ones "perfume". But £1 for a "Spanish" cheese slice that was curling up at the edges...perhaps this is all a plot to entrap local capitalist running-pig Yankees ? On the other hand this could be just a joke restaurant.

1  Thank Bis+Chris
Reviewed 30 July 2013

After reading the other reviews, we were rather trepidatious about our visit to the Cuban Bar but decided to go, as I had already paid for it with a Wowcher offer. I felt duty bound to treat the other three, as I felt that I could not ask them to pay for something with a reputation as bad as this. It took us nearly an hour to travel there but the anticipation of visiting such a terrible place caused us great hilarity during this time and continued throughout the evening.

On arrival, we chose to sit outside because inside, the music was too loud for us, senior citizens to converse above. No other patron was even nearing our age. There were a few couples around but only drinking; no one else was eating until later on when three women arrived.

I told the waitress of my fears about the restaurant's reputation and from then on, she was most anxious to please. When ordering, four out of fourteen mains were unavailable and when two of my party ordered the same item they only had one serving left. Supplements were charged on all the sea food and steak dishes and we were determined not to pay anything extra for what augured to be a very poor meal. As seven dishes were sea food and another one steak, our choices were extremely limited.

The waiting time between courses was quite acceptable but the food was nothing like anything served in Cuba. There were Spanish dishes of a sort but chicken, oven chips and salad did not seem very exotic to us. The salads were very crisp and fresh but the chicken was rather over cooked and dry. The rest of the food was acceptable but not outstanding in any way and we had to ask for salt and pepper. Sauces were added to dishes so one friend had to leave most of her sautéed potato as she did not like the sauce in which it was smothered.

The manager came to us at the end of the meal and offered us a free "shot." As I did not like mine, he would have been happy to have made me another, also on the house and even offered me coffee instead.

The ladies' toilets were modern and clean but to get there, I had to walk the length of the restaurant, up a slope, along a long corridor, down a flight of stairs, then across a ballroom where people were dancing. I then had to make the return journey!!!

In all, it would have been an extremely expensive meal if we had not had the Wowcher offer. I would not go there again, myself and I would not recommend it to friends but it is not as bad as earlier reviews would indicate.

Reviewed 2 February 2013

I bought a 4-personal coupon recently for The Cuban. I initially thought it was for The Cuban in Camden (which is much better), and quickly realized this Cuban was near Mooregate.

So, last night my wife and I invited some friends to join for 18 tapas and margaritas. I'm actually glad I didn't read the other reviews, because they were scathing - especially regarding the food. I'll say the food wasn't bad. It also wasn't amazing, but there is a huge variety of tapas and a few were decent.

The drinks were surprisingly good, but it's tough to mess up a sugar-filled pina colada.

The real let-down of the evening was the atmosphere. It was a cheap corporate rip-off of Cuba. There is no way anyone who has actually been to Cuba was part of designing or decorating the restaurant. There were a few Cuba-esque photos, some plants, and barely any rums.

In general, for a drink after work The Cuban at Citypoint is fine. For anything else, stick to The Cuban in Camden for much better food, rums, and atmosphere.