“Lion the witch and the wardrobe”
Review of Odins - CLOSED

Odins
Price range: US$1 - US$69
Cuisines: French, British
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Marylebone
Description: With more exquisite artwork than a Cork Street Gallery, Odins is a real one off. So instead of queuing for hours at the Tate Modern feed the tummy and sole at the same time at this unique restaurant. Odin's remains a firm favourite with Harley Street professionals and Fitzrovia locals alike. The interior combines comfortable furnishings with an impressive fine art collection to create a stylish but laid-back venue – ideal for long lunches and dinner with friends. The prix fixe menus represent excellent value for money and the diverse wine list caters for all tastes and budgets. Popular dishes from the Anglo-French menu include grilled Dover sole with parsley butter; pan-fried calves liver with bacon; and Dorset crab with avocado, ginger and tomato.
Reviewed 9 March 2013

As you walk in there is a fabulous big wardrobe where they keep your coats.
The staff are excellent. They know just when you want them and are entertaining enough that you look forward to them showing up.
The restaurant looks very expensive. Lots of nice old art. I was with a very very posh friend of mine and he recognized some of the antiques from his grannies house. (The two dogs and the exasperated woman).

Posh had the veal which was fabulous. Perfect color and very beautifully presented; like it was bred for the plate.

I had the haddock with chorizo and something else. Very interesting dish. Wish I had had his though.

I don't usually do puddings but I had a chocolate fondant thing.I do not approve of people taking pictures of their food but I took a picture of this. Its not quite in a frame by my bed - but i haven't ruled it out.

There are newer reviews for Odins

Reviewed 8 March 2013

I have been a client of Odins for some 35 years and have adored the wonderful combination of an intimate, clubby atsmosphere surrounded by wonderful art and orchestrated by a fantastic Maitre in Manuel.

Not only have the new owners seen fit to remove Manuel from his natural home but have now created an appalling mix of less than average food served by an uncomfortably mincing waiter overseen by a disinterested maitre with the least personality known to man.

The restaurant was more than half empty on the Thursday night we attended when before this hideous transformation to bare floorboards and patterned wallpaper, the place was full to overflowing with regulars enjoying some of the best British comfort food in town.

Its so sad to see of London's famous institutions reduced to a less than average offering

If it aint broke don't fix it!

Reviewed 7 February 2013

Very mixed reviews on TripAdvisor both before our visit on December 8th 2012 just after its
re- opening to indicate that all is not right at this establishment.

We booked for a special celebration meal for twelve persons and overall had a very good evening.

The main criteria for any comments must be the food. All our guests were very happy with the menu choice available and subsequently with the food served.

Starters chosen included Beetroot Goat’s Cheese, Jambon Bayonne, Escargot (4) and Crab (3)

The mains consisted of Black Leg Chicken, Onglet Aux Echalottes (5) Large Steak Tartare and Foie De Veau (4) and my own Ox Cheek which was excellent. These were served with numerous side dishes and followed by eight deserts and 4 coffees .

Our drinks included 8 bottles of wine and 3 soft drinks.

The bill total of £680.96 - including a £75.66 discretionary service charge - was in my opinion at £57.00 per head very good value for a central London venue.

One area that I had an issue with was with the service. Whilst the individual servers were very friendly with all those at the table including much banter, we had to continuously remind them of missing items of meal plus numerous requests for bread. Overall there was no leadership or overall observational control of what was happing at our large table.

There was somebody by the front who seemed to be in charge but paid no attention to our table whatsoever through the whole evening.

Taking into account our own experience and the various comments on TA I would conclude that the problem is down to one area - MANAGEMENT - or lack of it.
There was none visible on our evening. Everything from food and wine ordering, service and payment was carried out by the servers.

With the re-opening of a long standing establishment, I would have thought that the absolute minimum would be for the manager to have responded to the contributions - both good and bad as listed on Trip Advisor. After all this is Free market research!
Could it be that the owners don’t care?

I hope not as I would like to visit Odins again when next in London but will obviously looking at TA reviews with interest.

Reviewed 14 January 2013

We chose Odin's as being part of the Langan's we thought it would be great place to meet up with friends for a pre Christmas dinner. How wrong were we!

Firstly, the menu featured on their website is not the one we were presented with, which annoyed me to start off with, as there was little on there that took my fancy. However, being advertised as a French style brasserie, snails seemed a good idea as I am partial to them. A huge mistake, they were very undercooked with large cold fat deposits in them. Mine went back, and were served again, but were tasteless and very chewy. My friend ate his, and later regretted the decision and had to leave early as he felt unwell.

To be honest I can't remember the main course as it was so tasteless and unappealing.

To top of the evening there was a gentleman in the men's room being violently sick! I am sure it wasn't the food, but that closed off the night until it came to the bill!

Basically, beware of anything that isn't on the menu, bread, wine, G&T, Bacardi & Coke, because you pay through the nose and some. G&T's and Bacardi & Coke around the £11 to £15. It left an even nastier taste in my mouth. Unpublished = Unlimited cost.

I will never visit this or any Langan's again.

1  Thank ianntaylor
Reviewed 21 December 2012

Small French Style Restaurant. Good food, good service. Has recently been refurbished much brighter and spacious but with the same good atmosphere. Odins Bistro next door to restaurant for less formal quick business lunch.
Great art work.