“Peaceful, food was great”
Review of Thai on the River - CLOSED

Thai on the River
Thai on the River
Price range: US$0 - US$72
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Clapham / Battersea
Description: "All the people who loved Thai on the River before, for its stunning view, wonderful food and smart service, will love it even better now, if that's possible. A move of location has created a more welcoming entry and reception area, a better use of internal space with new decor and a terrific riverside conservatory. Beautiful silks and natural wood panelling adorn the walls, while the tables are set with white linen. The Thai food is just as good as it always was. Try starter of classic tod mun plaa, main course of a curry with choice of protein, or one of the superb fish dishes like whole steamed sea bass with lemon, chillies and spring onions, and of course pad thai. Service is still fleet and friendly."
London, United Kingdom
“Peaceful, food was great”
Reviewed 3 March 2013

We arrived at about 6pm on the first Sunday of March - the place was completely empty and had to wait a while to get the waiter's attention from the back. He was very friendly and gave us just the right amount of time to deliberate about what to eat and drink as we struggled to make up our minds.

The waiter sat us right by the conservatory window overlooking the thames next to very warm radiators which we thought was lovely. (One problem is that the next 2 couples were also understandably seated on similar tables so we could all hear eachother's conversations - probably wouldn't bother most people but wife and I are antisocial and prefer privacy so next time we will sit in main building.)

Prawn crackers recommended as they are the real spicey kind not the white fluffy takeaway ones.

We loved the sauvignon chile white, it went perfect with the meal.

Dont go here if you're looking for buzz as there is none. Although we love quiet restaurants. If they only had 3 customers on that day (assuming nobody came in later) I have no idea how on earth they're still ion business!

The 1 reason we dont give 5/5 is because we asked for 2nd glass of wine an it never came. (I noticed the waiter brought wine to the next table so perhaps there was a little miscommunication between waiters). The couple on the next table were given the wrong bill which was a human mistake which we all laughed about but a little embarrasing for everyone i thought.

To summarize:

Good for a nice peaceful relaxing delicious meal but don't go for special occasion because it might not feel that special!

Fantastic decor - my wife wants me to buy the little thai lady statues
The christmassy lights on the tree outside are a nice idea but a little cheap don't you think? I suggest putting little chinese lanterns on there or something to give it that authentic touch. (like the ones outside that oriental restaurant in west kensington on the A4).

Food - brilliant, chef/kitchen is/are genius(es)

Price - average, we payed £86 for starter and main with sides and 2 large glasses of wine each. (watch out for 12.5% service already on the bill)

• Visited March 2013

London, United Kingdom
“Dreadful”
Reviewed 18 February 2013

Its not always easy planning a night out for a group of people but going to this restaurant was something else.

I booked a table at the Thai on the river over the weekend and had walked in. The atmosphere was cold not welcoming and had to wait for a while to be seated, despite the place was almost dead empty.

When it came to ordering from the menu, service was painfully slow which made me and my friends hungry and frustrated.

Food - poor taste (similar to the acid in a car battery) and in small portions - no suggestions from waiting staff so didnt know what to order or what the taste was. I'm a fully grown man, not a cat, so make the portions bigger!
For the price I have paid, I felt ripped off and will certainly never come back to this place. Not to mention hungry for paying £150 for 5 guests - certainly not value for money.

I would have had more satisfaction ordering a KFC family bucket for £9.99 and folding the £140 worth of (Wasted) money into paper aeroplanes and lighting them on fire

Dont get me wrong, I'm a resonable person and normally let these things slide and would forget about this nightmare however because this certainly topped my worst restaurant experience ever, I would like other people to read this review and aviod this place at all cost!

• Visited February 2013
Chichester, United Kingdom
“Don't do it!”
Reviewed 3 February 2013

Booked online (good website) for anniversary last month. Heard nothing, so booked again asking for an email or phone confirmation, explaining our special occasion. Heard nothing again, so went along at 19.45 hrs as booked. Totally dead, only 2 couples in whole restaurant, no music or atmosphere. Walked around and stood in front of the bar waiting for service or recognition for over 5 minutes. Nobody could help us, so we left. Never got the chance to try the food or drink!

Hong Kong
“A Very Special Place”
Reviewed 24 September 2012

I have been eating at Thai On The River regularly for the last two years and it is one of my favorite restaurants in London. The quality of the food varies from excellent to average, The standard of service also varies, from slow to fast, but I have always found the staff to be pleasant and helpful. What makes the restaurant really special is the stunning location right on the banks of the Thames. You are surrounded by trees and greenery. One has the sense of eating in park rather than in the middle of London. You can eat indoors or outdoors in a conservatory, Overall you almost feel like you are back in Thailand. In summary good food at reasonable prices and an ambiance that cannot be surpassed.

• Visited September 2012
Banstead, Surrey
“Dining Experience”
Reviewed 22 September 2012

We had a cold reception. The food was disappointing, eg, rice nodles (Singapore) were overcooked and lumpy with taste of only soy sauce. Waiters did not seem to be trained and were not quite receptive.
The evening was a disaster. Our previous experience few years ago was excellent.
The new management apparently have not maintained the standards.

• Visited August 2012