“Disappointed in this branch of Pizza Express”
Review of Pizza Express

Pizza Express
Ranked #12,223 of 23,994 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$38 - US$43
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Dining options: Takeout
Description: Bright and modern, PizzaExpress Hampstead offers an exciting reinvention of Italian classics. A vibrant menu includes wholesome Romana-style pizzas with adventurous topping combinations, as well as fresh salads, an impressive range behind the bar and aromatic coffee blends. Family-friendly Pizza Express gives kids the chance to design their own pizzas.
Reviewed 5 October 2013

I am a big fan of Pizza Express as it's reliable, cheap and there's a branch everywhere in the UK. When I want a casual meal with friends or family I have no qualms about going to a Pizza Express. Even though it's a chain, I rate it far more highly than Ask, Zizzi, Prezzo etc.

However, I did not enjoy my mid week visit to the Hampstead Branch. There was one absolutely brilliant waiter, who in all honesty was carrying the rest of the waiting staff. The others were chatting at the bar for half an hour when my Mum and I tried to order a drink and it was a long time between ordering drinks, starters and mains. The staff were perfectly pleasant to us, however, a couple of young lads were eating next to us and the waitress was actively unpleasant towards them for no apparent reason. I couldn't understand this - they were just quietly chatting, sharing a bottle of beer and there was no need for the waitress to treat them disrespectfully.

The food was fine though they gave me my salad pre-dressed, when I had specifically asked for it not be dressed at all as I prefer to do it myself.

When I ordered the bill I presented my 25% off code to the waitress. We were in a bit of a rush so I paid the bill quickly and later realised that only £5 had been deducted from the bill. If the discount code is entered to a central system, I don't understand why the necessary deduction was not made and I do find that a bit disingenuous.

Regardless of service and even though my own income is modest, I always tip between 10-15 percent. I know staff in the restaurant trade are notoriously badly paid and that's especially true in chain restaurants. However, I wish I had never left a tip here as it was not a quality experience and has definitely put me off Pizza Express. Pizza Express may be a conveninent option to meet up with people as they have branches everywhere. However, this was an eye-opener as to why chain restaurants are really not worth it.

If anyone is in the Hampstead area and thinking of going to Pizza Express, I would urge you to go the independent pizzeria just two doors down. It looked to be a lively, well priced place and the sort of place that deserves customers far more.

1  Thank AcchEat

Reviewed 25 August 2013

Visited on Thursday evening.

We had made a booking but it turned out the place wasn't too busy must be because of the school holidays.

Anyway had a really nice meal is a typical menu but a varied and value for money choice, attentive staff and excellent service the waitress was even able to remember the order for starters and main for three of us without writing it down. The restaurant is laid out on two floors and has plently of room between the tables even when busy, the staff were really friendly and professional and we passed a couple of hours eating and drinking in nice surroundings.

Have been before and will visit again.

Reviewed 20 June 2013

Pizza express is very consistent with quality and service. With good atmospher. Been to this branch a few times and never been disapointed.

Reviewed 22 April 2013

You know what your gonna get with a pizza chain, but we must never forget that its still put together by people and can be better or worse. Good Pizza Express!!

Reviewed 3 December 2012

Pizza Express is a typical pizza restaurant but the site in Hampstead is exceptional due to the friendly staff and ambience. What can I say other than it was a two minute walk from our cottage so we visited it quite often. During the week it is ideal for a casual business luncheon.