“Needs to improve”

Ranked #552 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Needs to improve”
Reviewed 4 April 2014 via mobile

Visited on business with group of university colleagues.
Clean room with comfy bed. Good breakfast selection - except scrambled egg and beans were only lukewarm.
One colleague fell down a step on corridor floor -someone was standing in front of the small warning notice.
Group of young teenagers running around in night banging on doors and smelled like smoking dodgy substance in their rooms so had very little sleep.
Also had considerable traffic noise
Tried to stop one of our party going outside for a cigarette in the night despite him being 23 years old.
Hotel forgot morning call ordered by our group leader.
Grungy corridors with carpet falling off stairs.
Potentially decent little hotel but a long way to go yet.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
6 Thank Silvergnome

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Waltham Abbey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 April 2014

I checked in to a occupied room the receptionist who check me i found out her name is natasha. No service at all and no smile and rude no apology just oops then gave me a new key. Then she gives me a disabled room which i think she did that on purpose to annoy me. When i told her she huffed and puffed i asked are you o.k? Then shes started sulking i think shes not happy being there because another guest was happly getting checked in by a bubbley receptionist which i wish i waited. Its not all about looks; managers stick a barbie who thinks shes pretty with her out positioned wig with bold patches. I was going to complain about her but I was told not to bother by a european woman and thats the manager sister???!! HAHAHA hilarious! The best part of my experience was leaving best western rubbish hotel. Its not all about the appearance its the service certainly important because it ruin my stay.

• Stayed February 2014
8 Thank Bridgetjones376
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 March 2014

My husband and I stay here around once every two months.The rooms are smallish but comfortable .All you need really.The staff are friendly and helpful.Room service is lovely ,the food from the restaurant is beautiful....especially the rib eye steak and New York cheese cake.Not far from Central London.There is a bus stop outside the hotel that takes you into Central London.There is a fridge in the room so you. An buy drinks and chill them.Rooms are cleaned daily and fresh towels.The breakfast is lovely and you can request poached eggs etc.The staff are lovely too.A top hotel in our opinion :))))

Room Tip: Ask for a room not overlooking the main rd,it can be quiet noisy
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank karaodp
DARTMOUTH
Reviewed 17 March 2014

My husband and I had a great stay in May 2013. Clean Quiet and comfortable. Bus stop was outside. We were downtown in no problem. I love having my room towards the back as it was very quiet and I could open our window.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 March 2014

I stayed at the palm hotel back in August, 2013 with my wife and teenage daughter. It's an excellent base for those wanting to explore Central London, with the 113 taking you from outside the hotel directly into the center. Very easy. We stayed in a triple room, on the ground floor through the corridor near the bar area. Cant fault the rooms, spacious and kept clean by the lovely housekeepers daily. A triple was perfect for me, my wife and our daughter. Our room was at the front, but the traffic noise was barely heard.

Breakfast in the morning, a bit steep at £12.95 per person...can rack up to quite expensive over the few days considering you could go to a cafe for less than half the price, however it is a buffet so you do get your moneys worth. Only fault - the sausages, YUCK, but that is me being picky.

Overall, great stay great base for exploring London. Staff are great, housekeepers and breakfast staff all smiley and attentive, and special nod to a lady on reception who my daughter has told me her name is Jade/Jane (I am not sure if this is correct so apologies if not). My daughter is registered disabled, and we brought her down from Manchester especially for the One Direction premier in Leicester Square. Each morning Jade made a special effort to talk to Louise, asking her about One Direction, looking through her photos and sharing her excitement, even though this was not asked of her, it was lovely to see such an attentive staff to individual guests and she had a real impact on our daughter so thanks to Jade.
Also, a lady on reception with Eastern European accent, always very friendly with a smile and good morning (didn't catch a name, sorry).

Would I stay again, absolutely.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family