“Great location, room and food, but VERY badly let down at reception”
Review of Hotel Megaro

Hotel Megaro
Ranked #116 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Perth, Australia
“Great location, room and food, but VERY badly let down at reception”
Reviewed 23 November 2013

I stayed here for two nights toward the end of June 2012 (have only recently found out about Trip Advisor and the ability to place a review, and have noted that I stayed in Dec 12, only because the options do not go back to June '12)). The location was just fantastic, very close to St Pancras, and other underground stations right next door made it possible to transit anywhere in London very easily. My room was a very large room on the Euston, Belgrove corner or the building, large bathroom. Very comfortable bed, and room very nicely presented and maintained.

Dining room décor was "industrial funk" and very well done. My breakfast and all other room service food was just amazing.

I would very happily have gone back to this hotel again, but remain "scarred" by the reception service. While I was a guest, (letter of introduction and registration at reception was done in my name) my father passed away in Australia during my first night staying there, and when my sister rang during the night to advise me, the staff member was emphatic that I was not a guest there and that she had the wrong hotel. Several conversational checks from Australia to confirm hotel name, address, fax, website, etc and they were all correct, but I was definitely not a guest!!. My sister insisted that the message be taken down and passed on to me when they realized that I really was there. Next morning, I rang Australia, and was told the sad news, and was asked if the hotel had passed on the message...........WHAT MESSAGE?? When I went down for breakfast, I went to reception and asked if any messages had been left for me, NO, I asked and checked again, NO, and this went on for probably half a dozen checks (and more NO's) with several different staff members, and eventually, someone produced a scrap of paper, which I asked them to read me, and only then, the significance of what they were telling me hit. I told them that my sister was told repeatedly that I was not a guest here. NO apology, NO condolences, NO offer of complimentary service, NO offer to reimburse any international phone calls, it really was just an incredibly CARELESS AND NON CHALANT attitude. I am planning a trip to London next year, and am researching hotels near St Pancras, OH DEAR !!, and the travel agent who recommended this hotel has been well informed of this rather unfortunate incident.

I WILL NEVER STAY HERE AGAIN !!

Room Tip: Right on the corner of the building at the junction of Euston Rd and Belgrove. I did not find the n...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Coral R
Sima P, receptionist at Hotel Megaro, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Dear Coral R,

Thank you very much for a wonderful review following your recent stay with us at the Hotel Megaro.
As you have mentioned we are ideally located on the door step of St Pancras and Kings Cross Station. The whole team was overjoyed to read that you were pleased with our hotel. On the other hand, we were sorry to read that there were a few points that were not up to standard during your stay with us. Thank you for bringing these to our attention, as without constructive feedback such as this, we cannot address areas in need of improvement.

Sima

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (274)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 November 2013

We spent 2 nights here and had a very pleasant room of a good size though a lot of the space was taken up by a second put up bed which we didn't need. Staff were very friendly and the décor was interesting - on the 'funky' side.
Whilst we were there they lost their satellite reception and were unable to get it fixed - we'd planned a relaxing time whilst my husband was working so this was a great disappointment and we were surprised that they had no back up plan or way of solving the problem. However, they did give us a discount to make up for it. This was also fortunate as we discovered our booking 'may or may not include additional taxes and fees' so the room was actually 20% per night more expensive than we'd budgeted for. This is unusual for Expedia so must be a hotel policy. I think there are better hotels in the location in the £200 per night price range and would probably choose a different one next time.

Room Tip: If there are only 2 of you make sure they don't give you a room with an additional bed.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Deyse M, Front Office Agent at Hotel Megaro, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Dear Jenny P,

Thank you for sharing your experience with other travellers.
All the team here aim to create an atmosphere and feeling of home and relaxation – so to read your feedback is very rewarding for us.
Our hotel is indeed a short walk to Euston tube station and King’s Cross/ St Pancras right across the hotel. We are surrounded by shops and great eateries and many of London’s top sights are within short walking distance to our hotel.
Please accept my apologies if there was any inconvenience caused, and we can only hope that you choose Megaro next time you stay in London, and do not forget to collect your -10% voucher off dinner at Karpo Restaurant at reception.

Fort Wayne, Indiana
Reviewed 11 November 2013

The Megaro Hotel is a wonderful hotel across from Kings Cross/St. Pancras station. It is very easy to get onto the transportation and go anywhere in the city. We stayed in a Deluxe room which was very nice and included free robes, slippers, water and milk. The room was very large and had a view of the St Pancras Renaissance Hotel. The walls could be thicker as there was a lot of road noise but it was not overly annoying.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Dear Tammy L,

Morpeth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 November 2013

Quick check in to room 301 at back of hotel, nice and quiet. Large room with everything we required, hospitality tray, iron,ironing board, nice toiletries in the big bathroom. Bed a little on the firm side for me but I still managed to sleep. A bit slow in taking our breakfast order however nice when it came (Eggs Benedict). Very convenient hotel for travel via mainline Kings Cross and St Pancras

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Collybean
Dear Collybean,

Co Durham, England
Reviewed 6 November 2013

Just come back from a trip to London with girlfriends to see a show - something we do every year and I have to say that the staff in this hotel were the friendliest I have ever experienced in London. We would like to say a special thank you to Lynsey who took the time to show us a lovely walking route to Portobello Market - you were right we thoroughly enjoyed it there. The hotel has an excellent location, like other reviewers we arrived at Kingscross station and it was lovely to just walk across the road to check in. When we booked we thought we were having continental breakfast but we had a freshly cooked hot breakfast, fresh juice & coffee - all of which was gorgeous & included in our room price. We will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Reggaelicious,

cheshire1
Reviewed 6 November 2013

We have stayed here before and didn't have a good time but was prepared to give it another go

Looking at the positive reviews it makes me wonder if we stayed in another hotel?
In every case, the bathroom has been full of mould and rotten wood- see picture of our bathroom in room 210. I don't expect this in a hotel at any price- let alone one we paid £350 for!
putting wood in the bathroom was a costly mistake- but one that should have been fixed.
No TV that worked in the room either "satellite out...."
Sort out the bathrooms and niggles and it would be a very nice hotel. But twice bitten for us.....

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank cheshire159
Lillian M, Head Receptionist at Hotel Megaro, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Dear cheshire159

Thank you very much for your constructive feedback following you stay with us at the Hotel Megaro. We were sorry to read that there were a few points that were not up to standard during your stay with us. Thank you for bringing these to our attention, as without constructive feedback such as this, we cannot address areas in need of improvement. Please do accept our sincere apologies for any inconveniences caused and be rest assured that we will be investigating further into this feedback. We do hope we will have a pleasure of welcoming you to the Hotel Megaro were you will give us an opportunity to redeem ourselves.

Lillian

Singapore
Reviewed 4 November 2013 via mobile

We were impressed by this hotel review on Tripadvisor & booked it for our last stopover after Barcelona & Paris. Below are our reviews :

Pros :
1) Good location. Near St Pancras International (Eurostar) & near King Cross tube (Metro).
2) Large & modern design room with bathtub

Cons :
1) Noisy even at midnight due to the nearby hospital. You may get to hear ambulance siren every 30mins. Our room was not even facing Euston Rd W1... We were facing a small street called Belgrove Street.
2) Not for smokers. As we were warned & threatened by one of the reception staffs on 28/10/2013 at abt 2030hrs that they will fine us 200-400 pound if we smoke again. This even after honestly admitted our mistake as we were told that we actually activated the fire alarm which we didn't actually hear & apologised to him. He even pointed at me in a threatening manner like a police officer do to an accused. In fact, we were not told by any of the staffs when we check in that the entire hotel building is a non-smoking building. He even sternly said that the fine will be charge to my credit card even without my knowledge. Theft? There was no simple signage informing hotel guest that guests cannot smoke in the room. So smokers, please avoid this hotel at any cost. We actually let the matter to rest when we were actually reminded again when we checked out on 31/10/2013 at 1120hrs by another male staff with regards to the smoking incident. In fact, being an law abidding citizen of an Asian country, we didn't smoke in the room after we were told not to do so. The staff merely called his housekeeping colleague & asked to check whether was there any smell of cigarette smoke or any damage done due to smoking. The best part was, after we stopped smoking in the room, the next morning at around 7 plus, the fire alarm was activated & we can smell from our neighbouring room, stenched of cigarette smoke. Is it because we are guest from Asia? I let you guys decide. We have been to Barcelona & Paris before our last stopover at London, it totally spoilt our honeymoon. So smokers, stay away from this hotel... You can be fine through the credit card that you produce when check-in. The staff should have advised us rather threatening us with so called "FINAL WARNING" when it was the first time that they approach for that smoking incident.

3) Bed was quite hard. Smaller than queen size even when we are only 1.65m tall and Asian built. We are not even plump mind you.

Most of the hotel staffs are okay. Except for the 2 hotel staffs who spoilt our holiday. The management should really educate them on customer service like most of the hotels we have stayed & reviewed.

Totally disappointed. Will write a separate e-mail to the General Manager for her to know what happened on that 2 fateful days.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank IMKH
Dear IMKH

Thank you very much for your constructive feedback following you stay with us at the Hotel Megaro. We were delighted to read that you were impressed with the location and size of our bedrooms. On the other hand, we were sorry to read that there were a few points that were not up to standard during your stay with us. Thank you for bringing these to our attention, as without constructive feedback such as this, we cannot address areas in need of improvement. Please do accept our sincere apologies for any inconveniences caused and be rest assured that we will be investigating further into this feedback. We do hope we will have a pleasure of welcoming you to the Hotel Megaro were you will give us an opportunity to redeem ourselves.

Lillian