“Location, cleanliness and space”
Review of Hotel Megaro

Hotel Megaro
Ranked #140 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 5 January 2014

I stayed at the Megaro hotel for a few days at the end of the year and I thoroughly enjoyed my stay. The room was large by London standards, clean and comparatively silent considering the hustle and bustle of Kings Cross Station. The entrance to the tube is just outside the entrance. I booked my room months in advance and that was probably the reason I believe I got good value for money. I checked further dates, but the daily room rate does not seem to be as competitive as the one I booked. Anyway I recommend it and will keep an eye on the rates myself for future reference.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Antonella D
Deyse M, Front Office Agent at Hotel Megaro, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2017

Dear Antonella D,

Thank you for sharing your experience with other travellers.
All the team here aim to create an atmosphere and feeling of home and relaxation – so to read your feedback is very rewarding for us.
Our hotel is indeed a short walk to Euston tube station and King’s Cross/ St Pancras right across the hotel. We are surrounded by shops and great eateries and many of London’s top sights are within short walking distance to our hotel.
Please accept my apologies if there was any inconvenience caused, and we can only hope that you choose Megaro next time you stay in London, and do not forget to collect your -10% voucher off dinner at Karpo Restaurant at reception.

Deyse Miguel

Write a ReviewReviews (2,626)

Reviewed 2 January 2014

We saw this hotel on Expedia and thought it looked lovely! The art deco is gorgeous and the interior is equally as contemporary and fresh. We checked in at about 5pm and within 2 minutes we were in our room. The room itself was lovely, very spacious and clean. Although it was facing out onto St Pancras and was a wee bit noisy! The bath and shower were good although the temperature gauge was a bit tricky to decipher and most of my bath was lukewarm but I think this was just my own ignorance! The shower however, could have done with a little more power! When we switched on the telly we found it wasnt working but the receptionist and her manager couldnt have been more helpful and got it sorted for us with complementary cocktails! When we arrived back after the fireworks we went to bed, in a very comfy bed, although the room was slightly too warm! We awoke and had a delicious breakfast with lovely waiting staff at a reasonable price and then left! Overall, a lovely stay!

Room Tip: ask for a quiet room and preferably one on the fourth floor!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear geeluckhurst,

Reviewed 1 January 2014

I Booked a Excusive Double Room for NYE 1 night. We arrived 11am and left luggage in the holding room arrived at 4pm after shopping and checked in payed the £300 for the room. Get to room it looked lovely. My Mum decided to have a bath and this is when it all turned upside down! My Mum got in the bath and all i heard was a loud band and my mum screaming! The bath had Collasped with the woodwork falling on top of her and nearly the glass! I immediately rang reception to have two women come up no first aider! They moved us to a cheaper room! The Room service well we waited 1hr and a half for ice and two Vodkas! NYD we go downstairs to have breakfast which starts at 7am at 8am we went down and was told sorry but the chef cant work till 9am yet noone told us this. We go down at 9am and i wish i didt the fryed breakfast was dreadful! Unediable and when i told the waiter this he laughed! We go to our room to get the luggage go to check out i get to reception and all was ok till I was told i have to pay £250 for damages caused to the bath! Not one bit of care about my mum! Who is black and blue! Well i walked out and refuse to pay this Hotel is a joke they will be hearing from my Solictor! A claim for my Mum will be going in!

• Stayed: December 2013
6  Thank Mahala C
Lillian M, Head Receptionist at Hotel Megaro, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2017

Dear Mahala C

Thank you very much for your constructive feedback following you stay with us at the Hotel Megaro. We were sorry to read that there were a few points that were not up to standard during your stay with us. Thank you for bringing these to our attention, as without constructive feedback such as this, we cannot address areas in need of improvement. Please do accept our sincere apologies for any inconveniences caused and be rest assured that we will be investigating further into this feedback. We do hope we will have a pleasure of welcoming you to the Hotel Megaro were you will give us an opportunity to redeem ourselves.

Kind regards
Lillian

Reviewed 1 January 2014

Location convenient to Kings Cross / St Pancras Station. Ridiculously over priced for rooms and service provided. Stayed 9 nights. Had to carry own bags up to room. When first checked in given carpeted room that look like it had not been cleaned or renovated since the 1960s, barely 2 star accommodation for this room. Was then moved next night to loft room in hotel; slightly better but bathroom had mouldy and rotting timbers, also traffic noise was more noticeable. Was then offered a free upgrade to an apartment one block away, but was given a basement apartment; shower had mould growing on tiles; floor noise from apartment above was ridiculously loud and prevented us from getting to sleep and generally drove us nuts; air conditioning compressor outside added to disturbance. At this point we asked about cancelling the remainder of our stay; the accommodation was ruining our holiday. Was then moved to a second floor apartment; better but floor noise from loft apartment above us was again unbelievable; had to complain to reception several times to ask guest upstairs to try be more quiet. There was no lift in apartment building so had to carry bags two flights of stairs. TVs in this hotel were not setup to allow simple push on button and watch; spent up to 10 minutes pressing all sorts of buttons, turning things on and off to try get it started; stupid setup. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone until it is renovated fully, they change the cleaning staff and apartments get floor noise issues resolved.

Room Tip: Unless you really need to be close to Kings Cross station, would not recommend this hotel. Try somew...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Nick K

Dear Nick K

Thank you very much for your constructive feedback following you stay with us at the Hotel Megaro. We were delighted to read that you were impressed with the location of our apartments. On the other hand, we were sorry to read that there were a few points that were not up to standard during your stay with us. Thank you for bringing these to our attention, as without constructive feedback such as this, we cannot address areas in need of improvement. Please do accept our sincere apologies for any inconveniences caused and be rest assured that we will be investigating further into this feedback. We do hope we will have a pleasure of welcoming you to the Hotel Megaro were you will give us an opportunity to redeem ourselves.

Kind regards
Lillian

Reviewed 31 December 2013

We picked this location for its proximity to the railway stations as were arriving and leaving by train. The room on the 6th floor was large, quiet (considering the construction at Kings Cross Station which we fronted onto) and comfortable but unfortunately, the lift was not working for the duration of our visit (we were given the option of a lower floor but wanted to be where we had booked). The stairs were easy to use but tired legs from lots of walking were not so. The bed was really large and comfortable. Reception and service staff were helpful. The restaurant staff were very helpful and it was no trouble for them to change the order or timing to suit us. We are recommending others stay there if they are using the trains.

Room Tip: Check the lift is working or select a lower floor.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Rafowl,

Reviewed 27 December 2013

Very pleasant stay. This was quite a last-minute booking as my plans changed. I booked direct with the hotel on their website and requested a quiet room. The room that I was allocated was to the rear of the property and was indeed quiet. Nice in-room facilities (for example, real tea, not just tea bags) and quite spacious for a London hotel. It even had a small balcony with chairs - unfortunately the weather wasn’t really right for sitting outside. Although the room wasn’t yet ready when I arrived (it was mid-morning and I knew I was early), I was able to check in and leave my suitcase They put the case in the room for me for when I came back which was convenient and helpful. I didn’t eat in the hotel so cannot comment on the restaurant though it did look quite busy. The service at the reception was fine. I had no issues with checking in or checking out or billing unlike other guests’ reviews. I would stay here again but would try to book earlier to get a better price.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Sam_Beech

Dear Sam_Beech,

Reviewed 20 December 2013

This hotel is in a brilliant location just opposite St Pancras Intl which was just perfect for our one night trip to the Almeida in Islington as our direct train took us to St Pancras and the theatre was just a 10 minute cab ride away. Reception staff were helpful and friendly, the room was a good size and decently equipped with a comfy bed and spacious bathroom - all spotlessly clean. Only downer was the large extra divan type bed next to the window which made the otherwise quite big room seem smaller and also meant that it was tricky to reach the hairdryer mounted on the wall. I really liked the style of the hotel - just my thing in terms of decor. Well stocked mini bar and nice toliletries were a welcome addition. Was a lovely touch to have free bottled water and an in room coffee machine - even if my husband didin't quite master it. Our room faced on to Belgrove Street and was relatively quiet in terms of road traffic and blissfully quiet in terms of other guests, the lift, any generators etc which can be a problem sometimes. Breakfast was served until 11:30 even on a weekday so it was great to lie in and not have to rush. We could choose a hot drink, a juice and a meal from the breakfsat menu which was included in our room rate which to me represented really good value for money. Service in the restaurant wasn't that great but they were busy and it wasn't a problem to go up and ask for the extras we wanted. I would definitely stay again as we had a great night away.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple