“Extremely Cramped Room”

Ranked #447 of 823 Speciality Lodging in London
Claremont, New Hampshire
“Extremely Cramped Room”
Reviewed 30 June 2013

The actual name of this hostel is “FRESH @ The Green Man, Paddington.” I stayed here for two nights. Some may find the atmosphere here appealing. For example, there is a bar on the ground floor that is open all night. Also, for women who prefer all female dorms, this is one of the few places in London that I found that offer this option. The room that I stayed in was an extremely cramped six-bed dorm. The lockers were very small, and with everyone’s suitcases on the floor, not more than two people could stand comfortably in the room at the same time. Bunks were stacked in threes, and because the beds were stacked so closely together, it was impossible to sit on them. I’m not usually claustrophobic, but it felt like the walls were closing in on me when I was lying in bed. Also, because of the way the bunks were configured, climbing on and off the second bunk required the agility of a gymnast. Another drawback is that the beds did not have reading lights next to them. There were too few toilets and showers to accommodate the number of guests staying here. Sleeping was difficult because there were sirens blaring every few minutes for most of the night. To make matters worse, I woke up with small, very itchy red marks on my arms. I would not stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Cindy6179

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Poole
Reviewed 4 April 2013

We visited this pub for the first time whilst staying in the Hilton London Metropole just across the road on Edgware road.
The pizza is amazing and really good value, the staff are very friendly and the atmosphere is great.
We ate there 3 times while we staying at the hotel, the last time we ate there was on the last night of our stay when we had waited for 20 minutes to be served at the hotel but walked out and went over to the Green Man.
We had our 2 teenagers with us who we found out weren't supposed to be in there after 8pm but the man behind the bar said we could stay in until 9pm. We would really like to thank you for this and really appreciate you letting us eat, they are very accommodating to everyone. Thanks again for making our experience in London a better one, the Townsend family.

Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 January 2013 via mobile

Good spot right next to the tube station. Bar open all night and cheap (for London), was really good. Staff friendly and helpful. Couldve done with an extra couple of toilets and the bathrooms/showers were pretty basic but what we looking for.
Breakfast included is ok, toast and cereal. The pizzas are good value, you get a half price drink at the bar also.
Rooms are on the smaller side but big enough and the beds are super comfy. Very quiet also.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 9 November 2012

I like this place most in London for the price you pay. It's very well situated in Edgware Rd and has a quite low price. The dorms are clean, and I love the fact that their bunk beds are very sturdy, you never get woken up by the other people climbing in the same bunk bed (this is a very important point for me). The bathrooms are cleaned regularly and they are quite good.
They have small lockers in the room where you can put your most valuable things. The only downside is that there are less lockers than number of beds, though it didn't seem a problem as each time I stayed here there were a few empty anyway (not everybody is using them). Would be nice if they added some bigger lockers too.
Compared to other places I stayed for about same price this is definitely the best place in London.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 July 2012

I guess with this hostel it really depends on why you are in London.

If you want a central place to stay, a place to party, drink, hang around, meet funny people and feel like you're 16 again... (or maybe are 16)... I strongly recommend you stay here.

If you want some peace and quiet (and I don't need a lot of that) I'd advise against it.

I for my part only stayed there because the hostel I'm usually staying at was full for this one week, and I had to find somewhere else in between bookings...

Hard facts:
Pros:
Lots of fun people, but most of them drunk and random all the time.
Most comfortable hostel bed I've ever slept in, that's a huge plus.
The rooms are huge and airy and the noise from the street hardly bothered me.
Washer, hairdryer and locker for rent, 24h licensed bar for hostel guests, food around the clock, TV in the Pub, live music on Thursdays, very good location right next to the Bakerloo Line and a 24h Tesco.
Very clean compared to other hostels, free Wifi.
Has quite cheap drinks during Happy Hour.

Cons:
There is no common room/lounge where you could stay/work during the day and you can't really do that stuff in the Pub if you want to bring your own food/beverages or even want the tiniest bit of silence. Also it's usually full so even if you wanted to buy something every hour, you'd have to find a free table first.
The music is on 24/7 and by music I mean Minimal Electro and Goa without exception.
You can actually hear the base drum in the rooms. Always. Even after the pub closes. It's unbelievably annoying.
I tried working on my laptop in the pub one night and was attacked by some random guy who was like "why aren't you drinking, this is a pub, go away"... so after that I've always been out until the pub was closed to the public.
The thing with the showers... they are hot enough, one actually only boiling, but are so small that (and I kid you not) you can not bend down to pick up your soap, unless you know how to pick stuff up with your foot.
They have key cards to open all the doors but these key cards never work.

I've met nicer staff in my life but they treat you well and assist you, so no complaints there.

Not my first choice in London, but not a dump either.

Room Tip: First shower (the red one) will burn your skin off!
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
Costa Rica
Reviewed 30 April 2012

The The Green Man Bestplace Inn is a hostel located above a great pub in London. I had read some bad reviews of this place but guess it depends on what type of trip you are planning. We had never been to London and this was a great place to stay to meet people downstairs in the pub that is open 24x7. The food served in the pub is great and the staff are amazing! We met some great people and got free breakfast every morning and it was in a really great central location located close to the tube (edgeware station) and we could get to all the main attractions very quickly. We had a fantastic time here and although I agree the beds are not the best and the rooms small what do you expect from a hostel that caters to the younger crowd with a 24x7 pub below. If you are looking for a quiet place to sleep at night this is probably not the best option for you but if you are looking for a place that is fun and easy to meet people this would be a good pick! We came in very late at night and found the place on the tube with no problem and were greeted by the friendly staff who showed us around. I will definitely be back here again when I come to London.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank CatWhitfield
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 October 2010

I read some very bad reviews about this hostel, but for me it was a great experience.
The rooms are not the best, but the cleanliness were acceptable.
It looks very different than other hostels but in a good way.
Bar is cheap and very easy to make friends. I was never bored, they have live music, sport events and karaoke (which is fun, but you have to drink to enjoy it!!).
Staff seems to know what they doing, although sometimes they were too busy with the bar and they did not have much time to talk. Met the manager too, he was funny, but very demanding with the rules.
Even when the bar was loud I didn`t hear any noise in the room.
Free wifi, which was a bit slowly.
Breakfast was ok, same as everywhere.
I recommend this hostel for people who likes to have fun, who likes to do crazy things overnight, but still getting a good sleep..

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple