“Stay here for a bad time.”

PubLove at The Green Man
Ranked #177 of 908 Speciality Lodging in London
Reviewed 8 August 2013

My friends and I were passing through London recently on our way to Manchester and decided to stay at this hostel. Big mistake. I don't even know how to begin listing the flaws of this place…

To begin with, they don't know whether they are a bad excuse for a mid class london pub or a hostel for travellers, so they try to be both and end up being neither. You'll be crammed upstairs into a tiny overcrowded room with absolutely no space for your belongings or even enough room to sit upright in your bed. The showers are impossible to gauge and will burn or freeze you, or both. The toilets will block up constantly and no one will clean them. The wifi doesn't work either.

I wouldn't mind the lack of space in the room if you felt comfortable in the common room. However downstairs all you will find is a shabby bar which is policed by the manager and his lion maned sidekick (possibly the most irritating and indirectly rude man i've ever dealt with) ruthlessly. They don't like you to sit downstairs unless you are buying their extremely overpriced beer or eating their less than delicious and equally expensive burgers. Otherwise you are just taking up room for the customers who 'might' walk in off the street (though they never do). Oh and if you thought that you could go downstairs without shoes on, think again. They told me I had to go back up to my room and don footwear before I was allowed to sit on the couches.

They won't let you hire a towel, however they will happily sell you one at an exorbitant price. Seriously, what kind of traveller needs to 'buy' a towel?

If you're expecting a nice relaxed atmosphere, this really is not the place. While the girls who work the bar are actually very pleasant and do their best to make you feel welcome, they are constantly looking over their shoulders at the manager who patrols the bar like a prison warden making sure that his staff are ringing every last cent out of the guests. It really is all about profiteering at this place; there is no friendly love of the travelling experience which you would expect at your average hostel.

One of the nights we found ourselves drinking downstairs out of sheer convenience, and even when we were willing to fork out their unreasonable prices, the long haired git behind the bar refused me service for a very specific 15 minute period of time while he "kicked out" any patrons who were not staying the night. Immediately afterwards I witnessed him poor a beer for a female guest.

The only redeeming feature of this place was the warmth and decent hospitality that the female bar staff afford you. However the remaining members of the team are unhelpful and generally made you feel uneasy about even being there. They were not forthcoming with advice about things to do around town or directions to the attractions of London or the airport (especially).

Apologies for this rant, however I feel it is necessary to warn future victims of the woeful time my friends and I had here. London is a big city, there are many good places to stay. Don't waste your time or money here.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Mitchell S

Reviewed 2 August 2013

Ideal hostel to spend a few nights for very cheap and without any trouble.

THE PLACE: 90%
The hostel itself is upstairs a very nice pub like those typical English places. It was very cool.
Very good location as well, since there's a mere 10-15 minutes walk to Baker Street, Oxford Street or Hyde Park. Sadly, it's a very noisy street (Edgware Road).

SERVICE: 95%
The staff I met were all very nice and helpful. They have a good organisation (check in and check out in 1 minute, 24 hour reception and bar (they had at least 7 types of cider as far as I could count!), everything is explained, facilities cleaned every day). They have a room for luggage storage.

ACCOMMODATION: 80%
You don't have a lot of height to even sit up on your bed. Still, they were clean and comfy. The streets were quite loud at all time - I don't have a problem with that, but some people might. Yet that's what you should expect given the price (I paid less that £25 for 2 nights). It would be advisable to take earplugs with you, that's all.

SECURITY: 90%
Safes available in the room (a bit small, though). The place felt very safe thanks to the magnetic keys. The district looked really OK. Again, 24h reception, so the place is constantly under watch.

FACILITIES: 85%
The showers and toilets didn't seem to be enough at first (five of each in the whole place), but I never had any problem to find mine. They were clean. Perhaps a little small but that's not important really.
The breakfast is for free! However I found that the coffee was terrible, and gathering everything on one table was not practical as people were waiting for their bread to toast. Plus, there was no orange juice, which was a shame. But hey! it's free. :)
You could sit in the bar as long as you wanted, listening to some nice music, watching the BBC or E4, and chatting with the barman!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Vianney D
Reviewed 30 June 2013

The actual name of this hostel is “FRESH @ The Green Man, Paddington.” I stayed here for two nights. Some may find the atmosphere here appealing. For example, there is a bar on the ground floor that is open all night. Also, for women who prefer all female dorms, this is one of the few places in London that I found that offer this option. The room that I stayed in was an extremely cramped six-bed dorm. The lockers were very small, and with everyone’s suitcases on the floor, not more than two people could stand comfortably in the room at the same time. Bunks were stacked in threes, and because the beds were stacked so closely together, it was impossible to sit on them. I’m not usually claustrophobic, but it felt like the walls were closing in on me when I was lying in bed. Also, because of the way the bunks were configured, climbing on and off the second bunk required the agility of a gymnast. Another drawback is that the beds did not have reading lights next to them. There were too few toilets and showers to accommodate the number of guests staying here. Sleeping was difficult because there were sirens blaring every few minutes for most of the night. To make matters worse, I woke up with small, very itchy red marks on my arms. I would not stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Cindy6179
Reviewed 4 April 2013

We visited this pub for the first time whilst staying in the Hilton London Metropole just across the road on Edgware road.
The pizza is amazing and really good value, the staff are very friendly and the atmosphere is great.
We ate there 3 times while we staying at the hotel, the last time we ate there was on the last night of our stay when we had waited for 20 minutes to be served at the hotel but walked out and went over to the Green Man.
We had our 2 teenagers with us who we found out weren't supposed to be in there after 8pm but the man behind the bar said we could stay in until 9pm. We would really like to thank you for this and really appreciate you letting us eat, they are very accommodating to everyone. Thanks again for making our experience in London a better one, the Townsend family.

Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 January 2013 via mobile

Good spot right next to the tube station. Bar open all night and cheap (for London), was really good. Staff friendly and helpful. Couldve done with an extra couple of toilets and the bathrooms/showers were pretty basic but what we looking for.
Breakfast included is ok, toast and cereal. The pizzas are good value, you get a half price drink at the bar also.
Rooms are on the smaller side but big enough and the beds are super comfy. Very quiet also.

Reviewed 9 November 2012

I like this place most in London for the price you pay. It's very well situated in Edgware Rd and has a quite low price. The dorms are clean, and I love the fact that their bunk beds are very sturdy, you never get woken up by the other people climbing in the same bunk bed (this is a very important point for me). The bathrooms are cleaned regularly and they are quite good.
They have small lockers in the room where you can put your most valuable things. The only downside is that there are less lockers than number of beds, though it didn't seem a problem as each time I stayed here there were a few empty anyway (not everybody is using them). Would be nice if they added some bigger lockers too.
Compared to other places I stayed for about same price this is definitely the best place in London.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 July 2012

I guess with this hostel it really depends on why you are in London.

If you want a central place to stay, a place to party, drink, hang around, meet funny people and feel like you're 16 again... (or maybe are 16)... I strongly recommend you stay here.

If you want some peace and quiet (and I don't need a lot of that) I'd advise against it.

I for my part only stayed there because the hostel I'm usually staying at was full for this one week, and I had to find somewhere else in between bookings...

Hard facts:
Pros:
Lots of fun people, but most of them drunk and random all the time.
Most comfortable hostel bed I've ever slept in, that's a huge plus.
The rooms are huge and airy and the noise from the street hardly bothered me.
Washer, hairdryer and locker for rent, 24h licensed bar for hostel guests, food around the clock, TV in the Pub, live music on Thursdays, very good location right next to the Bakerloo Line and a 24h Tesco.
Very clean compared to other hostels, free Wifi.
Has quite cheap drinks during Happy Hour.

Cons:
There is no common room/lounge where you could stay/work during the day and you can't really do that stuff in the Pub if you want to bring your own food/beverages or even want the tiniest bit of silence. Also it's usually full so even if you wanted to buy something every hour, you'd have to find a free table first.
The music is on 24/7 and by music I mean Minimal Electro and Goa without exception.
You can actually hear the base drum in the rooms. Always. Even after the pub closes. It's unbelievably annoying.
I tried working on my laptop in the pub one night and was attacked by some random guy who was like "why aren't you drinking, this is a pub, go away"... so after that I've always been out until the pub was closed to the public.
The thing with the showers... they are hot enough, one actually only boiling, but are so small that (and I kid you not) you can not bend down to pick up your soap, unless you know how to pick stuff up with your foot.
They have key cards to open all the doors but these key cards never work.

I've met nicer staff in my life but they treat you well and assist you, so no complaints there.

Not my first choice in London, but not a dump either.

Room Tip: First shower (the red one) will burn your skin off!