“Small but convinent!”

PubLove at The Green Man
Ranked #171 of 949 Speciality Lodging in London
Reviewed 21 December 2013

It's our first time in London and we didn't have any high expectations, but The greenman was a cool experience! The pub/hostel staff is super friendly and helpful, the rooms aren't terrible (although small and noisy). Things are clean though, you get a free EARLY breakfast, and the Bathrooms are small and cramped. But it's a cheap place to lay your head :)

• Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank Lefemmenikitaa

Reviewed 17 October 2013

My friend and I was touring UK for two weeks, and we stayed at the Green Man while in London for 5 days 4 nights. Of all the hostels we stayed at (4 in total) this was by far the worst in every way. Firstly, they crowded an already small room with 2 triple decker beds- there was hardly any room to walk (not to mention luggage) and such living environments are not only cramped but extremely unhygienic. My bunk was on the ground and I am literally sleeping next to people's shoes! There is no place to even sit and moving around others in the room required skill. The bathroom was dirty, and the only good thing about it was it had hot water. Several staff were not that friendly and checking-in or asking questions made me feel like I was wasting his time. A ridiculous rule of the hostel is we were not allowed to bring food in. A hostel should allow its customers to bring food in as the bar does not provide a great variety of food.
All in all I would never recommend this hostel to friends-The YHA hostel chains are easily TWENTY times better.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Eunice O
Reviewed 8 August 2013

My friends and I were passing through London recently on our way to Manchester and decided to stay at this hostel. Big mistake. I don't even know how to begin listing the flaws of this place…

To begin with, they don't know whether they are a bad excuse for a mid class london pub or a hostel for travellers, so they try to be both and end up being neither. You'll be crammed upstairs into a tiny overcrowded room with absolutely no space for your belongings or even enough room to sit upright in your bed. The showers are impossible to gauge and will burn or freeze you, or both. The toilets will block up constantly and no one will clean them. The wifi doesn't work either.

I wouldn't mind the lack of space in the room if you felt comfortable in the common room. However downstairs all you will find is a shabby bar which is policed by the manager and his lion maned sidekick (possibly the most irritating and indirectly rude man i've ever dealt with) ruthlessly. They don't like you to sit downstairs unless you are buying their extremely overpriced beer or eating their less than delicious and equally expensive burgers. Otherwise you are just taking up room for the customers who 'might' walk in off the street (though they never do). Oh and if you thought that you could go downstairs without shoes on, think again. They told me I had to go back up to my room and don footwear before I was allowed to sit on the couches.

They won't let you hire a towel, however they will happily sell you one at an exorbitant price. Seriously, what kind of traveller needs to 'buy' a towel?

If you're expecting a nice relaxed atmosphere, this really is not the place. While the girls who work the bar are actually very pleasant and do their best to make you feel welcome, they are constantly looking over their shoulders at the manager who patrols the bar like a prison warden making sure that his staff are ringing every last cent out of the guests. It really is all about profiteering at this place; there is no friendly love of the travelling experience which you would expect at your average hostel.

One of the nights we found ourselves drinking downstairs out of sheer convenience, and even when we were willing to fork out their unreasonable prices, the long haired git behind the bar refused me service for a very specific 15 minute period of time while he "kicked out" any patrons who were not staying the night. Immediately afterwards I witnessed him poor a beer for a female guest.

The only redeeming feature of this place was the warmth and decent hospitality that the female bar staff afford you. However the remaining members of the team are unhelpful and generally made you feel uneasy about even being there. They were not forthcoming with advice about things to do around town or directions to the attractions of London or the airport (especially).

Apologies for this rant, however I feel it is necessary to warn future victims of the woeful time my friends and I had here. London is a big city, there are many good places to stay. Don't waste your time or money here.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Mitchell S
Reviewed 2 August 2013

Ideal hostel to spend a few nights for very cheap and without any trouble.

THE PLACE: 90%
The hostel itself is upstairs a very nice pub like those typical English places. It was very cool.
Very good location as well, since there's a mere 10-15 minutes walk to Baker Street, Oxford Street or Hyde Park. Sadly, it's a very noisy street (Edgware Road).

SERVICE: 95%
The staff I met were all very nice and helpful. They have a good organisation (check in and check out in 1 minute, 24 hour reception and bar (they had at least 7 types of cider as far as I could count!), everything is explained, facilities cleaned every day). They have a room for luggage storage.

ACCOMMODATION: 80%
You don't have a lot of height to even sit up on your bed. Still, they were clean and comfy. The streets were quite loud at all time - I don't have a problem with that, but some people might. Yet that's what you should expect given the price (I paid less that £25 for 2 nights). It would be advisable to take earplugs with you, that's all.

SECURITY: 90%
Safes available in the room (a bit small, though). The place felt very safe thanks to the magnetic keys. The district looked really OK. Again, 24h reception, so the place is constantly under watch.

FACILITIES: 85%
The showers and toilets didn't seem to be enough at first (five of each in the whole place), but I never had any problem to find mine. They were clean. Perhaps a little small but that's not important really.
The breakfast is for free! However I found that the coffee was terrible, and gathering everything on one table was not practical as people were waiting for their bread to toast. Plus, there was no orange juice, which was a shame. But hey! it's free. :)
You could sit in the bar as long as you wanted, listening to some nice music, watching the BBC or E4, and chatting with the barman!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Vianney D
Reviewed 30 June 2013

The actual name of this hostel is “FRESH @ The Green Man, Paddington.” I stayed here for two nights. Some may find the atmosphere here appealing. For example, there is a bar on the ground floor that is open all night. Also, for women who prefer all female dorms, this is one of the few places in London that I found that offer this option. The room that I stayed in was an extremely cramped six-bed dorm. The lockers were very small, and with everyone’s suitcases on the floor, not more than two people could stand comfortably in the room at the same time. Bunks were stacked in threes, and because the beds were stacked so closely together, it was impossible to sit on them. I’m not usually claustrophobic, but it felt like the walls were closing in on me when I was lying in bed. Also, because of the way the bunks were configured, climbing on and off the second bunk required the agility of a gymnast. Another drawback is that the beds did not have reading lights next to them. There were too few toilets and showers to accommodate the number of guests staying here. Sleeping was difficult because there were sirens blaring every few minutes for most of the night. To make matters worse, I woke up with small, very itchy red marks on my arms. I would not stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Cindy6179
Reviewed 4 April 2013

We visited this pub for the first time whilst staying in the Hilton London Metropole just across the road on Edgware road.
The pizza is amazing and really good value, the staff are very friendly and the atmosphere is great.
We ate there 3 times while we staying at the hotel, the last time we ate there was on the last night of our stay when we had waited for 20 minutes to be served at the hotel but walked out and went over to the Green Man.
We had our 2 teenagers with us who we found out weren't supposed to be in there after 8pm but the man behind the bar said we could stay in until 9pm. We would really like to thank you for this and really appreciate you letting us eat, they are very accommodating to everyone. Thanks again for making our experience in London a better one, the Townsend family.

Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 January 2013 via mobile

Good spot right next to the tube station. Bar open all night and cheap (for London), was really good. Staff friendly and helpful. Couldve done with an extra couple of toilets and the bathrooms/showers were pretty basic but what we looking for.
Breakfast included is ok, toast and cereal. The pizzas are good value, you get a half price drink at the bar also.
Rooms are on the smaller side but big enough and the beds are super comfy. Very quiet also.