“considerable potential”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Bloomsbury
Reviewed 27 July 2014

This seems to be a restaurant which is held back by the London expectations of what an Italian restaurant is, and by a very varied clientele of tourists. I have rated it "very good' for a particular reason: although "average" would express some aspects. However I had the best fegato (fried liver) in butter and sage, I have ever had in the UK. The chef got it exactly right. If only the gift could be passed on to others! The roasted root vegetables were a little tired and ordinary, but quite appropriate. My starter, arancini, was a balance between very good and slight misfortune. The balls themselves were excellent, but the breadcrumb coating and the deep-frying produced a strong flavour reminiscent of Scotch eggs or fish-fingers, which overwhelmed the delicacy of the filling. To me it seemed to be an example of good concept with a moment of weak practice (and economy?) which was regrettable. As dolce I had a panacotta with kiwi-fruit. The panna cotta was not strikingly good, and the kiwi-fruit dominated. Perhaps this is not a combination to pursue.

The sangiovese house red was disappointing, as there are many reasonable sangioveses available now. The coffee was first rate.

I shall certainly eat here again, as I am often in the area, but I shall discuss the offerings on the menu before ordering. It's tempting always to have fegato and salvia!

NOTLIX

Reviewed 22 July 2014

Visited Cosmoba this week. Restaurant was very busy and clearly a number of diners had arrived within a very short time. Staff were swamped, nobody appeared to be taking orders and there was general chaos with no-one appearing to be in charge. Having been given menus our orders were taken in a reasonable timescale. However, our very simple starters did not turn up for about 25 minutes and our mains took nearly an hour.
Food was cheap but distinctly average. Service was poor and no-one spoke to us about the length of time the food was taking to arrive. Virtually every table was in the same position with very long waits for meals to arrive.

Daniele B, Owner at Cosmoba, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2014

Dear JOGil, allow me to introduce myself. My name is Daniel and I am one of the owners of Cosmoba.

I'm sorry to hear that your dining experience with us did not meet your expectations.

We really value our customers and their feedback which allows us to improve on the dining experience we give to our customers.

I would really appreciate it if you allowed me the opportunity to make amends.

Please contact me on enquiries@cosmoba.co.uk or give me a call on 020 7837 0904.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed 10 July 2014

I eat here quite regularly as we have company meetings at the Imperial Hotel just round the corner, and I've never been disappointed. The food is authentic Italian, and always really well cooked and in enormous portions. Some starters are borderline main meals - especially the arancini which are enormous!! Highly recommended, and I'm looking forward to my next meeting so that I can come here again.

Daniele B, Owner at Cosmoba, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review our restaurant.

I'm glad we were able to make your dining experience as pleasurable as possible..

I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 9 July 2014

Just fancied an Italian,came across the above after walking for five minutes from our hotel(Hotel Russell)

Very welcoming,friendly staff etc.My wife and I both had 3 courses and wine(£73.00 inc service)for what we had it was really good value for really well cooked and enjoyable food.We had their house Tiramasu desert-lovely.

Obviously well visited by locals as we could see.

Really authentic italian food,staff,establishment etc.

Can recommend without hesitation

Daniele B, Owner at Cosmoba, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review our restaurant.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 8 July 2014

Been here last April and was dissapointed with the food served.
My wife's seafood salad starter was clearly made from frozen pre-packed food.
Our main course was the lobster pasta dish and was served while my wife was still eating her salad.
The pasta was so overcooked...nothing close to al dente.
Considering all this the price was expensive and we will definitely skip this restaurant the next time round.

Daniele B, Owner at Cosmoba, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2014

Dear Simon, allow me to introduce myself. My name is Daniel and I am one of the owners of Cosmoba.

I would really appreciate it if you allowed me the opportunity to make amends.

I look forward to hearing from you.