“terrible”

Price range: US$7 - US$28
Cuisines: Irish, Pub
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Soho
Description: Irish pub with 4 bars over 6 floors linked by a maze of staircases and passages. We have live music four nights a week plus Irish trad sessions on Sundays. With 6 big screens throughout the venue, we're the perfect place for watching your favourite sporting event including Rugby, GAA, Champions League and the Magner's League Ideal for after work drinks, Christmas functions, parties or entertaining clients. We also work closely with tour operators arranging group bookings with set menus available. .
Reviewed 24 November 2013

What I have to say is: don't bother going there. They simply don't care about your experience. There's plenty of pubs, bars and restaurants around.

Me, my sister and my brother-in-law arrived at about 3:45 PM. We sat in front of the first bar. The pub was quite empty at the time. The waitress was friendly and we ordered 3 fish and chips and drinks. After 20 minutes waiting, we thought it would be better to remind her of the fact that we were there waiting. The waitress said the kitchen was busy at the time and we should be getting the food soon. Nevertheless, after 25 minutes we again reminded her and she rapidly went to see what was wrong. The kitchen staff said there was a power cut and they were unable to cook the dishes.

We asked for a refund and she said, “That’s fine”. However, when I was about to go to the till to collect my refund, a guy dressed in black came and without saying anything or introducing himself, said the same thing the waitress had said before. He said that due the power cut, they had been unable to cook the dishes.

I said that this was unacceptable and we should have been informed earlier about it. He stopped to look at me and put his elbow on the counter. I thought that was extremely intimidating and asked why he was looking at me in such way. He then replied : “You are rude. I do not like your behaviour”. I said : “Just give me my money back and I am leaving”. He went towards the till but then came back and said to me again “I do not like your attitude” and waited for my reply. At this moment my sister had to intervene while I went to get my coat. After he had given the money to my sister I asked for his name because I was going to complain about the service. He said “I am not going to give my name”. I then took a picture of him. He then tried to grab my mobile phone. I put it in my pocket and left the pub extremely baffled.

After reporting the incident to the general manager, he said I should allow him some time to investigate and he would come back with his findings, which never happened.

3  Thank RicardoDitz

Reviewed 18 November 2013

Brilliant decor, fantastic space, decent food and fair drinks selection. Should be an excellent pub to visit...

Except for the music being too loud to have a conversation. What's the point of a pub with music so loud nobody can have a chat? If your bar staff are spending half the time saying "Sorry, can't hear you", you're obviously doing something wrong.

1  Thank innokenti
Waxyslondon, General Manager at Waxy O'Connor's Pub, responded to this reviewResponded 20 November 2013

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for the feedback.
I am pleased that the majority of your comments are positive and I am happy that we delivered in terms of décor, food and drinks selection.
We have four bars, of which two are quite areas where people can sit and chat even on a busy Saturday night; The music level in all areas is closely monitored to ensure this 100% of the time. I am however, disappointed that the bartender struggled to hear you in the area you visited. To ensure your next visit gets off to a positive start, please contact me direct and I will reserve a table for you in one of the quieter areas where you can enjoy a more traditional pub atmosphere.
Yours Sincerely,

Sean Donnelly
02072870255

Reviewed 16 November 2013

Decor is amazing, drink selection is good. It can get crowded so make sure you get a table to sit at. Food is good but we felt very rushed like we didn't have time to enjoy ourselves it felt like they just wanted us to get off the table so someone else could order some food. The drink selection here is great and atmosphere amazing. They should just give people more time to enjoy it.

Reviewed 5 November 2013

this pub is awesome. I wish we had one back home in the states! There is great live music. Awesome food and a huge selection of beers. Then you get to the atmosphere. There are all sorts of nooks and crannies to explore from church pews to the huge tree inside to the lookouts from the multiple levels. If you are in Leicester square (near M&M's World). You must stoop at Waxy O'connors

Reviewed 31 October 2013

Went for a quick drink on a visit to London, place doesn't seem to have changed in the last 15 years. It's a labyrinth of a place, with truly amazing decor, a mystical Irish pub. Entering through a nondescript door in a side street off Piccadilly/Leicester sq the bar initially appears quite small, but then opens out to a multitude of levels & other bars, with a petrified tree in the centre.
Sure the beer is expensive, staff not overly friendly & food average, but go there to absorb the experience.