“Reputation rebounding big time…..”
Review of Hansom Cab

Hansom Cab
Ranked #502 of 24,254 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$14 - US$28
Cuisines: Bar, Pub
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Description: We are a traditional British pub serving fresh homemade food and craft beer in a relaxed environment!
Reviewed 21 February 2014

I had been slightly put off the Hansom Cab by dint of its past owners Piers Morgan and Marco-Pierre White. Apparently they treated it as a quasi private club and annoyed the locals. They are now gone and the new owners seem to operate a handful of pubs around London.

Arriving early for a spot of lunch, we got the full attention of Martin the excellent Maitre' D whose first move was to steer us to a good "off the run" meaty Malbac. His fish and chips recommendation was spot on and followed up by some insightful guidance on a local gin, "Sipsmiths", accompanied by a feisty tonic. My only recommendation would be to serve proper mushy peas rather than the slightly effete minimalist posh pea puree. That said, a generally delicious lunch and good surroundings. The locals seem to be back and it was a pleasure to have Dolly the long haired rescue dog sitting at the bar with her owner.

Good pub, will be back.

Reviewed 16 February 2014

I booked a table at this pub for my fiancés birthday and I found the staff very accommodating of our large group; the service was friendly and efficient and the food was just delicious. I had the bread board which was lovely - the bread was even warm - and the chicken roast which was delicious, the chicken was moist, the yorkshire pudding was huge and they let you choose how many roasties you'd like. Fab!

The staff also served the cake I'd baked (with no cakeage fee) and even added candles which was a lovely thoughtful touch. Everyone was really impressed and I wouldn't hesitate to return or recommend this pub to others.

Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

Came back here for a beer after 30 years. Wow. Great service, friendly bar staff but the place has changed. Fortunately, for the better.

Beers well kept, London prices but what can you expect.

Cheerful atmosphere. Very clean everything spotless.

Worth a short detour off Kensington High Street.

1  Thank John B
Reviewed 22 December 2013

Went here for a festive meal with friends. We chose this pub based on previous reviews and the special Christmas menu on offer. When we arrived, the candle on the adjacent table caught the dried flower arrangement on fire which the waitress put out by throwing a bucket of water on. During the course of the evening, we watched as this happened to three other tables also. I mentioned to our waitress that we had better have some water for the table in case our candle suffered the same casualty. One hour later, we were still waiting on our water.
Having pre-booked a table we were a little stunned to be asked (30mins after sitting down) if we wanted any food... However the food was very nice and arrived in good time. We were never offered dessert or coffee, and when we asked we were told that this wasn't available as the chef had gone home and the coffee machine had been taken apart. This was a blatant lie as I had seen this waiter clean it 30mins prior while there were dining customers still in the restaurant. It was 10pm...

Reviewed 18 December 2013

Our return reminded me what a lovely pub this is. The manager, Martin, even remembered us....unbelievable! This time I went for the Cheese Burger and my friend had the Cod. The Burger was nice although the new fancy Brioche Buns aren't quite to my liking....I still ate it. The Cod Fillet was unbelievable! Drinks as good as ever. The Cornish Coaster Ale superb! A lovely proper pub experience.

I'll be back