“Fantastic authentic italian restaurant”
Review of Il Fornello

Il Fornello
Ranked #5,700 of 23,718 Restaurants in London
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Bloomsbury
Reviewed 1 February 2013

We booked the same day via email for 12 people and got a response straight away and had a beautiful table arranged for us. The steaks and the dover sole were excellent and fresh best one I ever had. My children loved the traditional meatballs and sp. Bolognese and I actually finished theirs because it was just delicious. The staff was very friendly and funny and made us really feel at home especially for our children.
Always a must when we come to london from now on....

1  Thank estheryou

Reviewed 28 January 2013

I only made a booking here for my group because it was Baltic outside and it was close to our hotel.
The other poor reviews on TA are fully justified. It's a big place with awfully dated decor and lighting. The staff were friendly enough, but the food was strictly "stick -on" Italian and about as authentic as the Dolmio ads on TV. (sorry if you don't get them where you come from)
The only genuinely Italian part was the accounting, with the waiter taking around 20min scribbling on a notepad to come up with a truly artistic bill at the end of the night.
As another reviewer said, we could have done better at Pizza Express!

Reviewed 25 January 2013

This used to be one of my favourite restaurants in London. It had genuine Italian food, a genuine Italian atmosphere and you could overhear staff conversing in Italian - always a favourable indication. My last visit though was dissapointing. I don't know if they have changed kitchen staff, but the qulaity of the food seems to be going down. I was particularly let down by the baked potatoes, which formerly were well prepared, not swimming in fat as they were now. They also used to have a touch of rosemary, which for some reason or other they have dispensed with now. What a pity. Along with the cosy buzz the Italian feel of the place seems to have gone also. Not sure if I'll be going there again.

Reviewed 1 January 2013

Found by chance when looking for a quick lunch. Salmon steak v good. Tiramisu excellent. Very happy to have a toddler with pushchair @ our table. Plenty of simple pasta dishes on menu, so no need for one of those awful burger + chips 'child-friendly' menus. Decoration dated but with charm. Lots of room for a big family group. Will visit again.

1  Thank Ozymandius2013
Reviewed 26 December 2012

No menu for kids, food poor to average. You are better off at pizza express just down the road. Must try harder.