“Great Italian restaurant in Peckham”
Review of Il Giardino

Il Giardino
Ranked #12,663 of 23,677 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$27 - US$40
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: We are open 7 days a week. From 6 pm till 11 pm during winter period. We are located just 1 minute away from the Peckham Rye Station.
Reviewed 3 February 2013

This used to be a favourite haunt of mine many years ago, but I had not been back for a while. So it was great to find it much the same, still a lovely friendly warm and welcoming restaurant in a fantastic location just by Peckham rye station and next to a whole row of ethnic hair and beauty salons. Food and wine were good, we were in a bit of a rush and service was efficient and friendly.

1  Thank jennifermkay

Reviewed 19 November 2012

I read the reviews on Tripadvisor before booking here purely because I was surprised such a little place had made it on here but now, having experienced it for myself, I completely understand why.

Walking through the front door of Il Giardino feels like stepping into a family run restuarant you'd find in the mountains of the Dolomites. The atmosphere is instantly warm and welcoming (particularly on a cold night, such was mine) with red flickering candles, time-gone-by wooden tables and chairs and a smile from the delightful staff. My partner and I had a three course meal with a good bottle of wine followed by an Irish coffee and the bill was more than reasonable. The food was simple but the flavours, fresh, exciting and delicious... as all good Italian food should be. The staff were really friendly and considering the place was full, nothing was too much and they made sure they stopped at each table to check everything was in order. The staff gave warm embraces to those who had obviously been coming here for years and seeing this, really rounded off a great night. To see this genuine care and attention is rare in London and this is a restaurant where the food and the people definitely come first.

We've lived in Nunhead for a year and this was our first visit but we have already agreed that this will be a monthly night out for sure.

1  Thank Emma Marie E
Reviewed 27 July 2012

What a find in the middle of an area totally lacking in " real restaurants " . My daughter who lives in peckham took me there and I was amazed that such a place existed in amongst all of the local
chaos !
Great on 3 counts Atmosphere, Service and Food which was served and cooked perfectly.
They have a good menu and daily specials on the blackboard with something to suit everyone both in choice and quantity.
We thoroughly enjoyed everything about this restaurant and I would have no hesitation in recommending it to all but would advise booking since at 7pm on a Wednesday there were already 16 diners enjoying themselves.
The only negitive for me was that a 10%Service charge was added automatically (a relic from the past !) I prefer to make my own decisions re: service and on this occasion would happily have tipped.

Reviewed 20 May 2012

this place is amazing... they've catered to the kids picky appetites, saved us from our own kitchen disasters, celebrated birthdays, anniversaries, and can't be bothered to cook with us....they've fed our cats with take out liver, at least one surprise un-birthday party, and sent the in-laws full of food back to New Zealand...Il Giardino, you are fab!
A small and lovely menu, a chef who takes pride in what issues from his kitchen, friendly and pro-active staff...what more could we ask for?
Only that they're here for another 25 years....either we'll have grandchildren at some point, or I'm sure to burn the dinner, or we'll have some event that can only be celebrated with dinner at "The Restaurant"
We've been visiting for over 11 years now with family, friends, and just us together...it's always been excellent.

Reviewed 20 February 2012

With such friendly staff and charming ambience I probably would have been satisfied with a restaurant serving average Italian style food but I had no such worries at Il Giardino. Tucked away two minutes from Peckham Rye station if you didn't know it was there you probably wouldn't notice it but a good number of people have found this Sardinian delight; it was pretty busy the night we went but this didn't adversely impact on our pleasure. In addition to the pleasent atmosphere the food took the evening to a higher level, with the steamed sea bream and the duck with ceps both worthy of mention. The one tiny failing was that they apparently didn't have any Grillo despite it being on the list but we survived