“Great food, reasonable prices and friendly staff”

The Mitre in Lancaster Gate
Ranked #469 of 23,707 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Bar, Grill
Good for: Bar Scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 1 March 2014

Just a nice neighborhood pub. Food-wise, I had a hand-battered cod filet and my wife had a steak and ale pie with the works. It was all homemade and delicious. The brown gravy served with the pie was delightful and my fish was so light and fluffy that it was still juicy - not oily, mind you, but juicy. Plus, the tartar sauce was also homemade. Really, really tasty. Also, very reasonably priced. I think we spent £30 on our two dinners plus two pints of cask ale, which is a really good deal, especially considering that that price includes something like £3 for a tip.

As for the bar side of things, nothing fancy: nice selection, fair prices (roughly £4 for a pint) and fast, friendly service - all of the things you look for in a pub.

I'd definitely go back. :)

Reviewed 28 February 2014

We stopped in for a last drink on our way home from a night out in the West End.

By the time we arrived, the Friday night piss-up was in full swing, not that I would expect otherwise. It's a pub, after all. And ya know, people get drunk in pubs.

Quick service and no fuss. Plenty of seating.

Reviewed 25 February 2014

Loved the candle lit pub with its real fire and old joanna next to our table. Ordered a baked camenbert to share and it didn't disappoint. I had not stayed in the Paddington area of the big smoke before and would like to return one day.

Reviewed 16 February 2014

You don't get many traditional looking pubs these days, and we were surprised to come across this type of pub in this location. There was plenty of space, there was a great selection of drinks and the staff were friendly. We didn't eat there but the food that was coming out looked great. We will be back.

Reviewed 6 February 2014 via mobile

The Mitre is a very cosy and classy tradtional English pub one street back from Hyde Park in Bayswater. I have adopted The Mitre as my new local for 2 reasons. The first and most obvious is that its just a stone throw from home. The second reason is that it is just so welcoming and comfortable. The dark wood interior emits a warmth on those cold English days which is nicely complmented by the open flame coal fire and the great selection of draught taps along the bar. The food at the Mitre is fairly standard English pub fare, but it is all faultlessly prepared and presented. The beef burger and the steak & ale pie are highlights in my opinion. Its just a great pub to chill out and relax amongst the friendly staff. They also conduct regular events including a Sunday movie night and live music. Closest tube stop: Lancaster Gate.