“Standard has slipped in the last year”
Review of Motijheel

Motijheel
Ranked #14,580 of 23,242 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Bloomsbury
Reviewed 10 October 2012

Every year I visit Bloomsbury on business and for the 3 years have visited the Motijheel. The last two occasions were fine. My colleague and I having good food with decent service.

I visited last night on my own. I was 'greeted' by a miserable waiter who showed me to my table. I waited for a while before gesturing to the waiter that I wanted to order. He came over, tipped his head without speaking urging me to speak as he remained silent. I ordered my drink and waited to order my meal. When the time came, the waiter again silently urged me to speak and took my order without a pad or verbal confirmation. I wasn't sure that he'd deliver the correct order so asked if he could repeat, a grunt later and he was gone.

My demeanour for the remainder of time matched his - contempt towards one-another. He clearly sensed I was wasn't impressed with his attitude and tried (a bit) to at least smile. Too little, too late.

The starter was appalling, the main merely adequate and I never got a chance to order a dessert. Asked for the menu only to be delivered the bill.

It's been fine in the past but won't go again. There's enough choice in Bloomsbury so don't bother with this.

3  Thank Day_Meehan
There are newer reviews for Motijheel

Reviewed 9 September 2012

We visit the Bloomsbury neighborhood at least once annually and Motijheel is a place we walk past every day whilst there. There is no shortage of restaurant offerings in the area, and we have quite a few favorites. We finally decided to stop in one night for dinner and found it simple, unpretentious, inexpensive and quite good. While definitely not fine dining, we were very pleased by the experience.

Reviewed 13 August 2012

A late evening stop for us on the way back to our hotel. The service was freindly, the price reasonable and the food very bland. We both had the meat thali which were watery and had no great taste, the use of the herbs and spices seemed very limited. Maybe we just prefer our curries spicier.

1  Thank Lewis_England_9
Reviewed 29 May 2012 via mobile

give this place a miss. The beer was tepid and the balti, which is supposed to sizzling hot,was Luke warm.

2  Thank alymacp
Reviewed 21 May 2012 via mobile

I've been eating here for several years now, every time I visit London. It has always been pretty good food at a reasonable price. The service has always been too fast, each course arriving just as you are finishing the previous one.
I ate there tonight but standards appear to be slipping. The table cloth was dirty from the previous diner and the bottled beer wasn't cooled properly. The onion bhaji's have shrunk in size and the curry has lost some of its taste. I have to say I was disappointed. The staff too seemed to have little interest in the customers. I think tonight was probably my final visit which is a shame.

2  Thank Kadellin