“Try this place for yourself, make your own mid up, remember reviews are very subjective!”
Review of Taormina

Taormina
Reserve with OpenTable
Taormina is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3,567 of 23,592 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 16 November 2010

I always enjoy this restaurant, I have been very many times with all sorts of guests, ranging from my kids at 12 and 15 through to well known company leaders, and all seem to enjoy the place. Not the best food in town but by no means anywhere near the most expensive, just good straightforward honest Italian food and wine at reasonable prices. Typical Italian no bells and whistles, sometimes the Italian manner of service could be construed as being slightly grumpy but thats the way it is and it adds to the typical and authentic atmosphere. I dont understand some of the other reviewers comments and my many visits do not reflect their comments at all, I keep going and will keep going, if for no other reason than its easy with good food and I enjoy it.

1  Thank arthurh

Reviewed 12 September 2010

Laughed at my partner & I when we were ordering food. Took the menus from our hands when still trying to decide what we wished to order with our main meal, hence I ended up with a piece of chicken and nothing to go with it.

Would not recommend this to anyone, unless the waiter who served us (did not get his name) decides to leave and gives his job to someone who wishes to have it and has completed a Customer Care Skills Course, obviously this waiter hadnt and apparently the Manager said I am not the first to complain!

Avoid. You get better service at McDonalds.

Reviewed 19 August 2010

Given how few family run Italian restaurants there are in London we were keen to try Taormina as it was near Paddington and thus our train. We were the only people sat inside (it was late afternoon so everyone else was outside so they could smoke whilst it was still sunny) and we had the dulcet tones of a pop evenradio station to keep us 'entertained'... That we were ok about, but the food was a real let down! How I rate an Italian is by its veal a la marsala and mine was hideous. Not only was the food served suspiciously fast (I mean I know a lot of stuff is pre-prepared but this was served in under 5 minutes of ordering) but my marsala sauce didn't have any marsala in it! As my father commented, the nearest it had been to the marsala was when they carried it past the bar! When I queried whether my sauce was the correct one as it only tasted of gravy (to be more accurate it tasted exactly the same as my father's veal saltimbocca sauce minus the sage) I was treated like I'd really offended them. I was eventually offered the chance to change it for something else but I couldn't face anything else. The accompanying vegetables were over cooked and oily too.

We decided not to stick around for dessert and asked for the bill. We had found the restaurant on the Yell website where the page advertises a 10% discount if you mention Yell. I was then flatly told that I was making this up and there was no such discount. I then produced my phone (thank goodness for the internet on phones) and went to the page in question and they asked where I had found this page and it wasn't theirs - only when they had examined the page again they agreed, very grudingly, to give us the discount.

Needless to say, we wont be going back and I really don't recommend anyone else goes either!

taormina1960, Owner at Taormina, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2010

Dear Teambiscuit
I don't really follow these reviews, but this one in particular has been brought to my attention.
First of all, I would like to apologise for your bad experience.
Secondly I can assure you that we keep "pre cooked" food to a minimum, and in your case the veal is most certainly not pre-cooked. Being so thin, veal scallopine are cooked in seconds.
As to the marsala, it transpires we have been using dry marsala due to delivery mistake, which is, of course, next to tasteless when cooked. This has been corrected and thank you for bringing this to my attention.
Music is an on going battle with the staff! as soon as the boss turns his back.... That's what happens when the staff have been there too long and are almost family. No excuse, my fault for not instisting on greater discipline. However, they absolutely WILL change the music to whatever the client prefers, when possible.
The Yell offer has been around for years, but has only been used twice in the last 5 years as far as I know, so that is my excuse for their disbelief, but doesn't excuse their reaction.
Once again, my apologises.
Well, that's my first reply, I'm sorry if I haven't addressed all the faults mentioned, all I can say is that if you return and let me know when you come, I will do my best to be there and have a chat face to face and hopefully convince you to come again.
Regards
Giancarlo

Reviewed 14 July 2010

Dined alone here one evening after my wife had to return to the States. I felt like Italian food and it was near my hotel.

The menu was good and the service was excellent. Prices were quite reasonable, because as a neighborhood restaurant rather than a destination restaurant, they could easily price themselves out of the market otherwise.

They were more welcoming to a solo diner than many restaurants are (there was another solo that evening, as well) but also were able to accommodate a large group with ease. This would be a good choice for families staying in the area.

Reviewed 10 July 2010

Nice atmosphere and good food! The house whit wine was also something I can recommend.