“perfect for a family”

Ranked #115 of 823 Speciality Lodging in London
Mantova
“perfect for a family”
Reviewed 7 October 2010

it was our second stay at Earls Court studios and, maybe10th time in London.It's perfect for central location and 2 mins walk from underground station. Relatively cheap for a family( around 20 £ p/p considering the advantage of being able to cook your own meals ( big Tesco supermarket open 24 hours within 10 mins walk) for "ravenous" teenagers and a number of cheap snack bars in the area.It's basic but cosy.Highly reccomended .

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank Tina42_9

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Finnish first
San Diego, California
Reviewed 18 April 2010

The positives - it's a 2 min walk to the Earls Court tube station, there is a fridge, microwave and stove, decent price for London. The area is great for a laundromat, grocery stores, restaurants, Internet cafe.

The negatives - food was left in the fridge from the previous occupant, horrible bed, shower full of black mold, cobwebs in the sky light on the very low slanted ceiling, which I kept banging my head on, people in the surrounding buildings could see in the sky light, so I had to cover it with newspaper for privacy. I got 1 thin pillow, asked for another and was told they didn't have any extras. The owner, I'm assuming, as he said he lives on the premises, cleaned up the room while I was waiting to check in, so I don't think he has a real housekeeper. Their website mentions daily housekeeping and as I read the reviews about this, I verified it with him prior to booking and he said 'of course we have housekeeping.' Nothing was touched/cleaned in the bathroom the 8 days I was there. For the first 2 days the trash wasn't picked up, so I left it outside the room. Still wasn't picked up which means no housekeeper came by. I had to write a note asking to remove the trash and to provide me with another towel
(the one bath towel provided is small and very thin and it never dried) and 2 rolls of toilet paper. I pushed the note under the office door. That night the trash was gone, but no extra towel and only 1 roll of paper. I bought my own after that as I didn't want to deal with him anymore. I had to be careful in the tiny shower to not touch the walls or floor (I always bring shoes for the shower when I travel) and I kept my eyes closed so I didn't have to look at the mold all around me. To get to this single room you walk outside at the back of the hotel. The room door wasn't a good fit and there was 1/3 inch space all the way across the bottom so when the noisy people from another room came outside to that landing area to talk and smoke, their smoke came under my door and I didn't have an extra towel to stuff under the door. I didn't want to say anything to them because I was traveling alone and you have to be careful and the lock on the door was very flimsy, another issue for me. I don't think the wood floors had been cleaned it awhile, I saw dirt/dust in the corners.

As I was walking in the area I noted other hotels that looked nicer and had an actual reception area, so I wrote down the names for next time; they're a little more money, but probably worth it.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank UKTravelor
Gothenburg
Reviewed 27 October 2009

I have been in UK several times and this is the best place i have stayed on.

We were 9 persons in two apartments.

Maby the room can be little small when you are 5 persons but it was okey.
Tesco is just 300 meters away and it's open 24/7
Underground is just around the corner.

For the price we paid for the hotell/apartment i will go back next year.

• Stayed October 2009
N.Ireland
Reviewed 30 June 2009

My husband and I stayed in Earls Court Studios twice before and since then they have been taken over. This time we stayed in room no.9 (which we stayed in last time) from before I remembered that the owner said to keep the window shut when we were out because the window has a ledge that someone has climbed in and stolen property.It was 30degrees and with no air conditioning this can get quite stuffy and sweaty. As soon as I turned the shower on the head fell off, the tv was broken and the kitchen sink blocked. Plus a new mattress wouldn't go amiss. As the saying goes you pay for what you get and the price is very good for somewhere in london as close to a tube station!!I would stay here again though!!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
Reston
Reviewed 16 May 2009

We stayed at Earl's Court Studios to attend the London Book Fair at the Convention Centre because it was close by. Turned out, we could see the Convention Centre from our window (but not noisy) it was that convenient! The residential neighborhood was great -- a few blocks away we shopped for our breakfast needs at Marks & Spenser, wonderful gourmet/whole foods items that we easily prepared in our little kitchenette, which was very clean. The room was sparse but practical for our needs, and with the shiny wood flooring pleasant and homey. The bathroom in our studio was set off by walking up two stairs, not a big problem, and the shower water flow was good. Be prepared for the fact that there are no elevators, and the stairways are a little steep with the lights on a light saver. We had to pay a little extra for our towels, as we did not care to bring our own, but the price we found of 60 pounds was very reasonable. The owner was helpful when we needed him. I'd stay there again as this really met our needs. We were gone all day and mostly night so just needed a very clean and practical, reasonably priced place to stay with a little, clean kitchenette. Tube very close by, and many neighborhood restaurants. Earl's Court is not as upscale a neighborhood as Notting Hill or Knightsbridge but a really nice find for spending time in London.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled on business
Italy
Reviewed 23 April 2009

This Hotel is in an excellent location and I would recommend it to friends and relatives. We stayed in a quad room, decent in size and with one double and two single beds with clean sheets and quilts. Furniture consisted of a table and four chairs, TV table and a two door wardrobe and one bed-side table.

We could have complained about the lack of plates, cups/glasses and cutlery in kitchen cupboards but we did'nt bother. The shower is really small and we would have wished better facilities in this respect, but it's still not a deal breaker in my opinion.

The BIG bonus is the location and the price. It is two minutes away from the the underground station and really close to theatres, restaurants and the exhibition centre.
Excellent if you have a tight budget yet still want to be central.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family
Canberra
Reviewed 12 January 2009

Stayed here before and recommended it to friends. Was excellent. Has gone downhill over the last 2 years. Rooms need maintenance. Shower was not working properly and parts of the kitchen were falling off. The room had no jug or toaster Some crockery and some cutlery were provided but not in sufficient numbers. There was no wash clothes etc: The manager reluctantly gave us a jug after we asked but said there were no toasters. He just doesn’t seem to care. Its a shame as this was once a clean, well maintained place to stay. I won’t stay here again as there has to better places to stay.

It is advertised as a self contained appartment with a list of items supplied. This was not the case.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Management
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)