“badly managed place.”

Neighbourhood: South Kensington
Jersey City, New Jersey
“badly managed place.”
Reviewed 14 September 2013

I'm reviewing restaurant to let people know that this is a very very poorly managed place, not suitable for dining.
I'm a chef, I know my food and this simply is a bad place to eat.
Unorganised, sushi chef nibbling all the time, service person washing dishes close to sushi bar using detergent, staff talking and laughing in front of food (they may as well spit all over food), one chef more focused on his music. Dust under the sushi bar, piled up CDs etc.
I ordered sushi set (8 pieces of sushi), which wasn't bad but I kept the receipt just in case.
From what I saw, they may not have stored fish properly...hope I don't get sick.
No wonder this place is tucked away, it's disgraceful.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank Qualitarian

London, United Kingdom
“An excellent hidden gem”
Reviewed 10 January 2013

This small restaurant, tucked away in a side street near Earls Court station, is the real deal for authentic Japanese cuisine. Don't expect fancy surroundings - it's small, with basic furnishings and a handful of tables, plus a counter with a few seats. But the welcome is friendly, and there is a steady flow of Japanese customers looking for a taste of home. The menu offers a good range of typical Japanese food, including excellent tempura. Prices are very reasonable too, and I liked the fact that I wasn't hurried along to leave when I had finished - they were quite happy for me to continue to sit at the counter and do my crossword!

So with excellent food and service, there's is very little to fault here, unless you prefer plush surroundings and smartly-dressed waiters attending to your every need.

• Visited January 2013
Sweden
“Good food and service”
Reviewed 16 February 2010

I had deep fried skewers set menu (kushiage C set menu) and it was delicious. Food there was very authentic and people cooking and serving are all Japanese too. I am Japanese and I felt like I was back in Japan.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Mai Food is a hearty and...”
Reviewed 2 May 2008

Mai Food is a hearty and lively restaurant where chef Sato-san serves very fresh and tasty food. The sashimi and noodle dishes are delicious. Chef's specials are also worth trying!

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook