“Loved it”

Neighbourhood: South Kensington
Neighbourhood: South Kensington
“Loved it”
Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

This place is brilliant. The food is good and the service very friendly. Also it is not too expensive and it has a really nice atmosphere.

• Visited February 2014

Blackpool
“Wild Card Paid Dividends”
Reviewed 9 January 2014 via mobile

Mooched around Earls Court searching for inspiration. Passed all the high street chains and checked out all the side street eateries and took a big gamble entering the least glitzy marketed gaff. The family within welcomed my naivety and eager curiosity of their food. Wow I was thrilled with the dishes that followed...flavours I had never imagined. A leaf that looked exactly like a nettle that tasted light and beautifully fragrant. The lady proprietor explained to me what it was. I finished by sampling their tempura. ....I will be back with friends. A casual street eatery that knows it's food. Embrace it for what it is.

1 Thank madgician
“Probably the Best!”
Reviewed 13 October 2013

There are no many places like Mai Food around any more.This small restaurant hidden away is a absolute gem!
If you want authentic and outstanding Japanese food and atmosphere; this is the place to go. It is a humble tiny restaurant (do not expect the design and pretentious style of Nobu).
We have been numerous times and we are never disappointed. The food is super fresh and of excellent quality.
Family run business; nothing is too much trouble.The owners, married couple, husband being the Head Chef and wife managing the tables; it was a real family feel. Both of them together with the rest of the team there make you feel like you are a family member.
It is often full of only Japanese customers.
You can't miss the Yaki Gouza (dumplings). Everything is so yummy!

• Visited October 2013
Jersey City, New Jersey
“badly managed place.”
Reviewed 14 September 2013

I'm reviewing restaurant to let people know that this is a very very poorly managed place, not suitable for dining.
I'm a chef, I know my food and this simply is a bad place to eat.
Unorganised, sushi chef nibbling all the time, service person washing dishes close to sushi bar using detergent, staff talking and laughing in front of food (they may as well spit all over food), one chef more focused on his music. Dust under the sushi bar, piled up CDs etc.
I ordered sushi set (8 pieces of sushi), which wasn't bad but I kept the receipt just in case.
From what I saw, they may not have stored fish properly...hope I don't get sick.
No wonder this place is tucked away, it's disgraceful.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank Qualitarian
London, United Kingdom
“An excellent hidden gem”
Reviewed 10 January 2013

This small restaurant, tucked away in a side street near Earls Court station, is the real deal for authentic Japanese cuisine. Don't expect fancy surroundings - it's small, with basic furnishings and a handful of tables, plus a counter with a few seats. But the welcome is friendly, and there is a steady flow of Japanese customers looking for a taste of home. The menu offers a good range of typical Japanese food, including excellent tempura. Prices are very reasonable too, and I liked the fact that I wasn't hurried along to leave when I had finished - they were quite happy for me to continue to sit at the counter and do my crossword!

So with excellent food and service, there's is very little to fault here, unless you prefer plush surroundings and smartly-dressed waiters attending to your every need.

• Visited January 2013