“Great Hotel for that price”
Review of Stratford Hotel

Stratford Hotel
Ranked #443 of 579 London B&B and Inns
Reviewed 18 May 2012

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Reviewed 22 April 2012

Firstly what can I say, I had thought it strange that I had to pay the final bill before we actually saw the room... Now I know why! We were shown to our dingy basement room with 5 beds, a window that couldn't be opened, wardrobes that didn't fit together correctly, no tv as promised dirty carpets, pillows which were like paper, mismatched bed linen which I'm pretty sure hadn't been washed as there seemed to have been all sorts of human excrement on each duvet cover! When we did try to sleep the room was noisy as we were quite clearly beneath the 24hr reception! Once morning came all of the lights and shower were not working in our room! Once the shower was working the basin was filled with at least an inch of water! I am not usually one to complain and I wouldn't usually take negative comments too seriously on here! But this place was BAD! It made faulty towers look like the ritz!

• Stayed: April 2012
2  Thank Sian2buy
Reviewed 30 March 2012

I attempted to stay here but left before 10.30pm having been in the room only 3 hours. It was drafty, freezing cold and the radiator did not work. I asked the girl running the bar downstairs (the only staff running the whole place who made it clear she didn't have time for the accommodation guests) for help and she gave me a portable heater. This didn't warm the room up as the windows were so shoddy.

I was given the room above the bar and I asked about noise levels. The girl said "you shouldn't hear the music" for the DJ night that was due to be on later. As if! The music was full blast and far too loud, I could hear everything through the ceiling. No way could anyone have slept through that.

I rang a taxi and left. I have since contacted the hotel and booking.com who I booked it through to ask for my money back, no response yet. I know it was a fairly cheap room, but still, I expect some level of service. This hotel was not good and the customer service to try and fix the issues was non existent.

Do not stay here.

Room Tip: do not stay here, especially in the room over the bar.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank annaletts11
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 30 March 2012

When you want to visit London for a few days, don't want to spend a lot of money on your hotel (we are Dutch...), but you want a clean room, good shower and a friendly welcome, stay at Stratford Hotel.
It is a mansion, close to a busstop, underground- and trainstation with small but clean rooms and very friendly receptionists. There are a small refrigerator, a microwave and a watercooker in every room. In the neighbourhood you will find a supermarket with a place to have breakfast. There are restaurants and there is a small shoppingcentre. It takes about 40 minutes to reach the centre of London by bus and less time if you take the underground. We found it excellent value for your money.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 3 November 2011

The same thing happened to me as the person who said that they changed the rates! Booking.com were as helpful as they could be but should drop this hotel as they only try to rip you off! We had a confirmation only to be told it was over booked. After 2 phone calls from booking.com there didn't seem anything could be done. Then 2 months later the hotel said if we paid more, we could have the room. The rate was 150 pounds but would give it to us for 125 pounds. Then over last weekend when we were away, an email came in to say that our credit card number was not correct & we had 24hrs to correct it or we would lose the booking which is what happened! As the night we had booked is the Opening Ceremony of the Olympics I can only assume they can get higher rates so dropped us without having to compensate us for the cancellation. I think we had a lucky escape! DO NOT BOOK THIS HOTEL!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jan W
Reviewed 19 October 2011

Stayed for one night whilst going to a gig at the O2. This hotel was awful. Was given the tiniest room in the hotel, but it seemed we were the only ones staying there. The money included breakfast but this wasnt actually offered. Got into the room to find that it was dirty - didnt want to put our stuff down!!! There was a huge brown stain on the carpet and our bed had very old looking army covers on it. Man on reception was very rude when we arrived and when we left. Check out is at 10! It said 12 when booking. NEVER STAY THERE! Worth spending more on a different hotel.!

Room Tip: Dont go to this hotel.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Liz J
Reviewed 10 October 2011

I stayed here from 07 to 09 October 2011, a simple weekend with my girlfriend. Initially the staff was very very kind, so they gave to me ROOM N° 1,downstairs: it was the WORST room I've ever seen! There was 5 beds (yes, five), a dirty little fridge and a broken microwave, a little window impossible to close (the room weas cold), a minimal and nasty bathroom and there were mouse trap behind beds....So I asked for a room upstairs and they said that it was possible only starting from the next day. Depressend, we slept there: the bed was ok (really good mattress) but there were sometimes noises from the street cause the windows remained open.
The following day we have changed room: they gave us ROOM N° 18, at first floor. It was a great room!!It was clean and comfortable!There was freash smelling everywhere, the shower was big and clean and there weren't mouse trap!!!!From Hell to Paradise in less than 24 hours :-)..So, if I had room n°18 from the beginning the vacation was perfect cause the hotel is at five minutes from the bus stop for Stansted airpoirt, from underground and a big shopping center.
I made an average of the votes of first and second room and it was sufficient more and less. Room n°1: horrible. Room n° 18: very good.
If you have to book made an explicit request: upstair room..

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple