“To be expected”

Kings Cross Inn Hotel
Ranked #859 of 1,067 Hotels in London
“To be expected”
Reviewed 1 October 2013 via mobile

For a Central London hotel this is very much average and to be expected. The staff were friendly but not particularly helpful, the room was clean and tidy and facilities in the room unspectacular. Ideal location with regards to Kings Cross station (hint to anyone complaining about the noise : being close to a busy station means train noise is inevitable!! Looking on a map should have given a clue....).

For location and price it's worth considering, but won't be at the forefront of my mind when I next look for a place to stay

• Stayed September 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 September 2013

I booked a one night stay at the Kings Cross Inn for my friend and myself last weekend.
We left it rather late to book a hotel and I was searching around for something in the Kings Cross Area, We usually stay at the Premier Inn down the road but it was totally full up.
The hotel sounded fine for one night and then I started to read bad, very bad, reviews for this hotel after it was to late for me to cancel the booking. With some trepidation we went anyway and it was much better than we had been led to believe from the reviews. Yes, the rooms are very small, it's a good job I have known my friend for over 50years! but they have all the facilities that you might want. Tea making, fridge, mini bar safe etc. Our room was clean and tidy and the bathroom was in fact very nice. We found the staff helpful. We asked for extra pillows and they had been put in our room for us when we returned from going out.
I read that a lot of people were moaning about the noise from the underground but you cant expect to be so close to the station and not have any sound from the trains! They have to put the line somewhere. Maybe it is worse on the ground floor, we were on the first floor. The view wasn't great, overlooking the side of Mac Donald's but you are never going to get a great view overlooking Euston Road. It is a very busy area. The only nice building around there is The St. Pancras station and hotel over the road. Having also stayed at that hotel in the last few months my expectations for this hotel were low to say the least but it turned out fine. Some people will crawl around on hands and knees to find some cobweb or something to complain about but our room was clean.
We went down to breakfast and again the room was small but I thought it quite nice and I enjoyed my fruit. It was a simple affair but you could pay and have a cooked breakfast if you wanted to.
I don't know if I would stay again, just because for the same price I could stay at the Premier Inn and the rooms are quite a bit bigger but it isn't the hell hole some people have been saying.

Room Tip: I did see there was a room that looked below St level, I could see the window going past so I would...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Marsa Alam, Egypt
Reviewed 14 September 2013

Having stayed at the excellent Hotel Megaro a few yards away for £100 the previous week, I was amazed after paying £180 for this hotel to turn up at a true old-fashioned fleapit with the surliest staff you could imagine. The carpet in the entrance is threadbare, the lobby a tiny, scruffy, stinking hole, and the room tiny, with plastic fake wood floor and high prison-like windows. The receptionist was taking phone calls and telling people they were not entiltled to a refund if they cancelled. I imagine this applies to most of the bookings. I would rather sleep almost anywhere. When I asked for a refund on the grounds that this was mis-advertised as a 4 star hotel on Laterooms the receptionist said the room was normally £500.. Ha ha ha.

Room Tip: Obviously, don't go to this particuar hotel
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank noonereally123456789
San Diego, California
Reviewed 11 September 2013

They will charge you an additional 6% if you use a credit/debit card. Had to pay in advance. Paid by cash and was told I would get the receipt later. When I asked for the receipt, the same clerk asked me if I paid. A little frightening and a little shady. The room was very small, just room for a double and a single bed, head to head and against the wall. The beds are not comfortable and are also stained. No elevator.Stayed on the first floorso you can hear the "Tube" rumble beneath you. I can't iamagine what the folks on the ground floor hear. One of the windows would not lock. You had to pay in advance. 1 GBP and hour for intertnet. Ended up going to the McDonalds across the street for free wifi. Te taxi driver had never heard of the inn/hotel, more like a motel.

Room Tip: Find another place to stay, unless you are a college kid.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 5 September 2013

We chose this hotel for its proximity to the Eurostar but that is pretty much all it has going for it. The room was clean and modern but tiny with the bed pushed against one wall so that one of us had to climb over the other to get into bed. I found the reception staff unfriendly and curt. The worst thing was a letter had been sent to my husband to coincide with his birthday. Luckily we were told to ask for it as it had been put away and the address not read. We would not come back here however close it is.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Val Gagne
Reviewed 3 September 2013

The good points first. The location was excellent, with the Kings Cross train station and subway right across the street. The breakfasts were good, and the food at the Italian restaurant that was in the hotel was excellent.
Now the bad points: We had the family room which was rated for 6 people. We were 4, 2 adults and 2 teens, and it was tight. The room,G06, was located on the ground floor, (or so I think, as you had to go up some stairs then down some stairs, around tight corners, down some more stairs, then a ramp), so we got to hear and feel the subway trains all night. The room smelt of mould, and the shower ceiling had lots of mould on it. The beds were uncomfortable, and they were all twin beds. As for service there was very little. Even though the beds were made, and towels were replaced, it seemed nothing else was done. ie; cleaning the washroom, dusting etc. The person at the front desk seemed very sneaky and creepy. Made my wife and step daughter very uneasy as he would always stare at them when we walked through the reception area, and sat in the restaurant.
We will never be staying here again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Bruce S
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 August 2013

We stayed here for just one night. We were on the ground floor so everyone walking past could see in. We had to have the curtains closed whilst in the room. The room was very clean and cannot fault the facilities. If you are going to stay here request a room not on the ground floor. Very noisy. Also we did not use anything out of the mini bar but found out when our bank statement came that they had debited our card for use of the mini bar, SIX days after we arrived home. Beware!

Room Tip: Avoid ground floor room
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple