“Problem solved!”

Ranked #859 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Durham, United Kingdom
“Problem solved!”
Reviewed 8 October 2013

I'll be very honest, coming to this hotel was both a really good and a really bad experience, but in the end the good seemed to outweigh the bad.

The first day we got here, we were given a room down a little flight of steps. We opened the door and found we were practically staying in a tiny, tiny room. I could lie on the bed and touch one wall with my feet and the other wall with my fingers. We had a bit of a laugh when we opened the curtains, as our view was... a wall! Comedy value aside, there wasn't much natural light in the room. Not to mention the bed was only a three-quarters single bed and nowhere near even a double. However, myself and my partner were thinking location wise that it was really good and really central - plus, we wouldn't have far to lug our bags over to Kings Cross, as you can see the hotel as soon as you come out the station - so that was convenient!

Everything seemed to crumble when night-time came. It was physically impossible to sleep in the room. You could feel the tube rumbling below you every so often, but that's really to be expected in a station-hotel. However, it was the noise that you could hear every single footstep from the room above, every time someone flushed the toilet in the room above you could hear the drainage really loudly, the walls were paper-thin, and the size of the bed was ridiculous. My partner is over six feet tall, and he was cramped into the bed as it was, never mind adding myself into the equation. Enough was enough, and at four in the morning my partner got up and complained while I sat in the room feeling miserable.

It got better from there! I'm being sincere, I'm not being sarcastic. The nice man behind the counter at 4am said that he would make arrangements straight away for us to be moved the next day, but unfortunately we would have to spend at least the night in that room. After a night of absolutely no sleep, we went out for the day, and they were very swift about getting the room ready for us returning to the hotel after our day out. This room was 100% better. We had to get a room with two single beds pushed together, on the upper floor, but it was perfect for our needs.

Overall, a good standard of cleanliness, but if you do choose to stay here while you're enjoying London for a special occasion (we travelled over for myself and my partners six year anniversary) - ask for a room on the upper floor, avoid the ground floor!

Room Tip: Upper floor! Avoid the ground floor like the plague!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MissMercury

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Nottinghamshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 October 2013 via mobile

We stayed here and everything was ok! We though we would stay here for the cheap and easy hotel! When I got back they charged me mini bar with we not had on my card they wasn't helpful and had a can't be fussed attitude it took me over a week and 8 phone calls to get the money back trust me we won't be staying here again

Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Shaun H
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 2 October 2013

This hotel is OK although the internet pictures are a bit more attractive than it is in reality. Rooms are clean though a bit noisy. Bathroom renovated so OK. Restaurant ok for english breakfast. A reasonably good tourist hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Reviewed 1 October 2013 via mobile

For a Central London hotel this is very much average and to be expected. The staff were friendly but not particularly helpful, the room was clean and tidy and facilities in the room unspectacular. Ideal location with regards to Kings Cross station (hint to anyone complaining about the noise : being close to a busy station means train noise is inevitable!! Looking on a map should have given a clue....).

For location and price it's worth considering, but won't be at the forefront of my mind when I next look for a place to stay

• Stayed September 2013
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 September 2013

I booked a one night stay at the Kings Cross Inn for my friend and myself last weekend.
We left it rather late to book a hotel and I was searching around for something in the Kings Cross Area, We usually stay at the Premier Inn down the road but it was totally full up.
The hotel sounded fine for one night and then I started to read bad, very bad, reviews for this hotel after it was to late for me to cancel the booking. With some trepidation we went anyway and it was much better than we had been led to believe from the reviews. Yes, the rooms are very small, it's a good job I have known my friend for over 50years! but they have all the facilities that you might want. Tea making, fridge, mini bar safe etc. Our room was clean and tidy and the bathroom was in fact very nice. We found the staff helpful. We asked for extra pillows and they had been put in our room for us when we returned from going out.
I read that a lot of people were moaning about the noise from the underground but you cant expect to be so close to the station and not have any sound from the trains! They have to put the line somewhere. Maybe it is worse on the ground floor, we were on the first floor. The view wasn't great, overlooking the side of Mac Donald's but you are never going to get a great view overlooking Euston Road. It is a very busy area. The only nice building around there is The St. Pancras station and hotel over the road. Having also stayed at that hotel in the last few months my expectations for this hotel were low to say the least but it turned out fine. Some people will crawl around on hands and knees to find some cobweb or something to complain about but our room was clean.
We went down to breakfast and again the room was small but I thought it quite nice and I enjoyed my fruit. It was a simple affair but you could pay and have a cooked breakfast if you wanted to.
I don't know if I would stay again, just because for the same price I could stay at the Premier Inn and the rooms are quite a bit bigger but it isn't the hell hole some people have been saying.

Room Tip: I did see there was a room that looked below St level, I could see the window going past so I would...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Marsa Alam, Egypt
Reviewed 14 September 2013

Having stayed at the excellent Hotel Megaro a few yards away for £100 the previous week, I was amazed after paying £180 for this hotel to turn up at a true old-fashioned fleapit with the surliest staff you could imagine. The carpet in the entrance is threadbare, the lobby a tiny, scruffy, stinking hole, and the room tiny, with plastic fake wood floor and high prison-like windows. The receptionist was taking phone calls and telling people they were not entiltled to a refund if they cancelled. I imagine this applies to most of the bookings. I would rather sleep almost anywhere. When I asked for a refund on the grounds that this was mis-advertised as a 4 star hotel on Laterooms the receptionist said the room was normally £500.. Ha ha ha.

Room Tip: Obviously, don't go to this particuar hotel
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank noonereally123456789
San Diego, California
Reviewed 11 September 2013

They will charge you an additional 6% if you use a credit/debit card. Had to pay in advance. Paid by cash and was told I would get the receipt later. When I asked for the receipt, the same clerk asked me if I paid. A little frightening and a little shady. The room was very small, just room for a double and a single bed, head to head and against the wall. The beds are not comfortable and are also stained. No elevator.Stayed on the first floorso you can hear the "Tube" rumble beneath you. I can't iamagine what the folks on the ground floor hear. One of the windows would not lock. You had to pay in advance. 1 GBP and hour for intertnet. Ended up going to the McDonalds across the street for free wifi. Te taxi driver had never heard of the inn/hotel, more like a motel.

Room Tip: Find another place to stay, unless you are a college kid.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family