All reviews marble arch memorial wing the union jack club armed services shared facilities oxford street hyde park excellent accommodation public rooms a great place to stay central london location home from home when visiting london concierge staff tea and coffee making facilities full english breakfast west end
Reviewed 24 August 2013

Arrived from Heathrow via the tube to the Marble Arch station and a 5 minute walk to the hotel. Service was excellent - the porters were very helpful and the receptionists were quick, friendly, and professional. We were checked in promptly and went to our rooms, which were immaculately clean and quite roomy. The bathrooms were spotless. Breakfasts were buffet style and were excellent. We felt very safe there. The beds were very comfortable.
The head porter provided excellent advice on where to go for shopping for unique items.
Would stay there again. Wonderful place, wonderful staff.

Room Tip: No fitness centre or pool. Not expected in downtown London.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank cliff w
Reviewed 22 August 2013

Several years ago, on the advice of a work mate I joined the Victory Services Club. In early August I travelled to the UK for a short trip and for part of the time finally got to stay at the VSC. What a delightful place it was, right in the heart of London and very close to Marble Arch, Hyde Park and Oxford Street. As an Australian, a long way from home, I found the staff to be friendly and helpful, particularly the porters. I can highly recommend the accommodation, the VSC restuarant and the full English breakfast! There are also a wide variety of rooms to choose from to match all budgets. My room was great, it had recently been refurbished, had an en-suite and was located in a quiet spot in the Centenary Wing. Thanks to the advice of the reception staff when making the booking a week earlier, my room had air conditioning which was very welcome during the recent 'heat wave' - in fact I'm sure that the airconditioning came from Australia! Members of the ADF should be aware that VSC membership is free to the serving personnel of all Commonwealth countries including Australia and NZ. Membership can be easily arranged on line and instantly provides access to discounted accommodation rates which is something well worth considering when looking at the accommodation rates for nearby London hotels.

Room Tip: Contact the reception staff for advice well before arriving, the better rooms are away from Edgeware Road or Turner Street.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
5  Thank JohnOG57
Reviewed 20 August 2013

We were highly delighted with our stay in June 2013. There is a choice of accommodation, ours was very clean and met all our expectations, from what we saw all the rooms were of a high standard with cleaners going in everyday. The restaurant was of a high standard with varied menus. Breakfast was very good, buffet, with everything you could want, hot or cold. A very comfortable bar with comfy seating areas. The staff are very helpfull at giving directions etc.. Which is great when you are new to London or visiting an attraction. The location is excellent, very close to Hyde park, and Oxford st,

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room, away from the busy road at the front. Sorry no swim pool.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Hill21
Reviewed 20 August 2013

stayed again at the victory services club, it never lets us down. great location, value for money. the rooms are a good size we were in the centenary wing his time, very friendly staff always offering to help. coming back again in a week this is the only place that i have stay at that I look forward to coming back to.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank laurice b
Reviewed 18 August 2013

I was worried by some of the bad reviews I had read on here but I needn't have been; our stay was great! I last stayed here in the 1980s and wow has it improved.

I cannot talk about any other wing but our room 461 in the memorial wing 4th floor. This was modern, immaculately clean and well appointed. The room was an ensuite, twin, a slight criticism would be that the two beds were pushed next to each other which was fine for my wife and I but I imagine if it's two lads on a budget sharing a room there's not a lot of space extra to separate them although possible. Also the hot and cold sign on the tap was the opposite way around. Being at the back of the hotel our room was quiet but I imagine the front of the hotel and lower floors may be noisey as there are Lebanese hookah pipe bars below these levels. However, our room at the back on the 4th floor was brilliant and highly recommended.

All the staff at all times were brilliant we couldn't fault them always friendly and helpful. The doorman even ran to the main road to call us a taxi...brilliant!

The breakfast was great, self service buffet. A slight criticism the coffee wasn't very good out of the machine how about getting a latte maker? We used the bar to eat a couple of times and it was lovely.

A couple of slight criticisms one there's no tourist information in the rooms this would have been nice, however there was a bank of information by the lifts. The second small criticism is that there are vast swathes of empty walls every where mainly the corridors; surely the odd military painting wouldn't go amiss and give the place some atmosphere? Finally, there was no full size mirror in the room. The small mirrors that were in the rooms were pretty decorational so for example in 461 they could have put one between the window and bathroom door; the one by the sink is actually at 90 degrees to it.

Finally the parking. I would suggest if you are coming here by car you take note of the congestion charge zone. The hotel itself is outside the zone as is the parking but the sat nav tried to bring us through the congestion charge zone which is literally a street away. I would recommend coming in the route of the M4 which brings you to the south of Hyde Park. Hyde Park car park is underground and situated on the eastern edge. We stayed for two nights and we reccon the normal price would be £60 but with a little bar code stamp from reception we got if for £30 ...We did however have a problem with the card and it would not scan in the scanner with the red lines scanning it outside the machine but would work if you put it in the slot where it takes the card from you. The bar code stamp seems to only work in this machine and you don't need the attendant to be there as he wasn't there when we used the car park. It is about half a mile away so if you have lots or heavy bags it may be worth dropping them off.

In summary a fantastic hotel, immaculately clean, lovely rooms, well appointed, great staff great bar fantastic breakfast. Definitely recommended!

Room Tip: Choose a room on a high floor and at the back.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple