“Excellent value - great location”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Victory Services Club
Ranked #6 of 837 Speciality Lodging in London
Adelaide
“Excellent value - great location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2009

The VSC is an excellent option if you are qualified to stay there. The staff are very welcoming and helpful. Our room was clean, comfortable and quiet. It seemed newly renovated and was in the Centenary wing. The location is excellent and proved to be a real boon given that there was a tube strike for two days of our three day stay. We were able to walk to most places we needed to get to. The value for money is extraordinary by London standards.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank JandJAdelaide
VictoryServicesClub, Front of House Manager at Victory Services Club, responded to this review, 25 July 2009

The Victory Services Club.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
North East England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2009

My husband and I come to London once or twice a year for a long weekend and have some fun. We normally stay at the club as it brings back fond memories for my husband. We have not been since May last year due to health reasons and what a change we saw on this stay. We stayed in a room which looked brand new and was more in keeping with a 4 or 5 star hotel. The only problem we had was the TV did not seem to work but that may have been us. We normally eat out when staying as the restaurant is set up like a canteen and we prefer a treat when we come. We asked reception for a recommendation and a very nice girl suggested we try the Club restaurant and told us it was now more like a "proper restaurant".
How right she was we had such good food we stayed in every night ! I have to mention breakfast was very good to. It is a kind of help yourselve affair but plenty of choice, although I will say it gets crowded with limited seating, so a tip is go early when its's quieter. There seemd to be more of a family and mixed atmosphere in the common rooms, I always felt a little out place before, but we had some really good chats after a long walk around London. We have already booked for later in the year and told our friends this is the place to stay on trips to london. It's me who's looking forward to going back now and dragging my husband along with me.

Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Georgeandanne
The Victory Services Club would like to thank you for taking the time to report on your stay at the VSC and to advise other travellers of the benefits of the Club and the how well you enjoyed your stay. It is truly appreciated and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

The Victory Services Club.
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2009

I've been a member of the VSC for several years now, and it's the only place I ever stay in London. The location is simply unbeatable: about 5 min walk from Marble Arch Tube, and at one end of Oxford Street, a block off Hyde Park. A very convenient bus service from Victoria will drop you within one hundred yards of the front door. The rates combined with the annual membership fee is the best in London. There are other military clubs in London that are more plush and modern, but you will pay double or treble what you pay here and their membership fees are considerably more as well. The public rooms have been recently renovated and are in very good shape. I'm not sure Americans really understand the concept of a club like this: it's a cheap alternative to a hotel, with hotel and conference services - but it relies heavily on donations, fundraisers, and of course, the relatively low (£20 annually) membership fee. For example, if you live in London, or the UK, and are hitting London for a quick shopping trip or a meeting or a show - you cannot beat this place. The public rooms have been recently renovated and are modern and comfortable. If you're local, you can drop in, show your membership card, have a very good lunch or dinner, a quick meeting, public wifi, use the bar, etc. But if you're an American who's used to... the Hilton, you're going to be pretty disappointed. But try staying at any American chain hotel in London for under £200 a night. I think I paid £40/night in the OCH (Old Club House) which is a bit like staying in a dorm. I haven't been back since the renovations have been completed, but the OCH rooms are as basic as you can get. Small, drab, hard beds, a sink basin but no toilet or shower (down the hall), some even don't have a TV. No phones either. But you can upgrade, upgrade and upgrade again to what is essentially a 3* room for £115/night. I challenge anyone to find something like this for £115/night (let alone £40) in this neighborhood. My best is advice to visiting Americans is review the rooms on their website carefully, and choose carefully. Personally, I stay in the OCH every time and walk down the hall for the shower and toilet. Doesn't bother me. I do wish they would spruce up the OCH rooms a little - better beds, replace the carpet, TVs in all the rooms. But it is still the absolute best bargain I can find. Also a word to the wise: ask for a room that does not face either Seymour Street or the Edgware Road. The noise can be unbearable. The food is darn good for the price, and the bar is also nice. There are many, many restaurants within walking distance from down right cheap (for London) to the truly expensive. If you have a problem, the staff will (usually) go out of their way to fix it. If they don't - have a word with the Club Membership office and that will get it fixed. Bottom line: if you're budget minded and love London like I do, then it's well worth the £20 annual fee - even if you don't go every year. They have reciprocal privileges with clubs around the world where your membership works as well. Also - it's fun to say "When in London, I stay at my club!"

• Stayed November 2008, travelled solo
5 Thank NavyDawg
Harrogate
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2009

First, our reservation (made more than 1 month before the trip and confirmed 3 days before the trip) was missing when we arrived. We were forced to split our family between 2 rooms effectively doubling our price. The rooms were not horrible but on the small side. One of the rooms showers was inoperable and the tub leaked all over the bathroom floor. They only had the rooms for one night so the next morning we had to pack up and go to another hotel. The bright spot was the english breakfest, which was very good.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with family
5 Thank batmedic
Brighton
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2009

Don't expect the Ritz but you could spend the same in Bayswater for something ghastly!

This is lovely, basic, friendly and well served. Rooms were serviced promptly and thoroughly. Service and check in was as good as you'd get in a 4 or 5 star hotel.

Our room was large and comfortable and clean. TV was a bit small for a large room but who goes away to watch TV?

Location is very good - fabulous for the green acres of Hyde Park. A bit of a trek to the West End but manageable with a quick cab ride home.

The breakfast was well stocked, good quality and filling.

We'll definitely stay here for future trips to London. And we own a small guesthouse ourselves!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with friends
3 Thank bri7urg
Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2008

By American standards, a little dumpy. Still a great bargin compared to hotels in London. Being a military club helps with clients, we have all slept in the mud, cold, and worse in the service, so a bed with a roof and running water is a step up for many of us. Service from the staff was wonderful, very helpful, polite, went out of their way to be of service. Rooms were to undergo renovations. I stayed in the "old barracks." Room was very small and no A/C, but did not need it in March. Furniture in the rooms was old and not in the best of conditions but still functioned. Food at the resturant was good. The location is tough to beat, a block from Hyde Park, Marble Arch, and the tube station. It fit my needs very well. I would be interested in seeing how the renovation went and what the rooms look like now. When I go to London again, I would stongly consider staying here again.

• Liked — Location and Price
  • Disliked — Small and Drab
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
5 Thank LTCJim
West Midlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2008

Stayed at the VSC for the first time in June 2008. Will definitely return- friendly welcome, really helpful and polite staff, clean and comfortable rooms and a great location. Short walk to Hyde Park and all the main tourist sights. Good variety and choice for breakfast which was well cooked. Bar prices very reasonable and relaxing lounges too. A great base for a trip to London.

• Liked — Location and friendly service
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with family