“Fabulous budget-friendly hotel”

Travelodge London Central Southwark
Ranked #417 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 23 December 2013

We stayed here for five nights at the end of a four week holiday in Europe and were very happy in virtually every respect. The room was easily large enough for the three of us and was spotlessly cleaned every morning. Hotel staff were all friendly and efficient, but we were not told until the last night that there was free wi-fi in the cafe/bar area. The cost of wi-fi in rooms is prohibitive. Breakfast, despite what we had read, was excellent with good variety, all freshly cooked. Location is perfect for exploring London. Travelodge has made a big deal about their new beds and we found these extremely comfortable - they lived up to the hype. Some storage space would have been useful - there are no wardrobes.

Room Tip: We stayed in 221. It was large and quiet. Perfect for 3 or 4 people.
1  Thank Greg K

Reviewed 21 December 2013

The hotel is located in a good central location. Easy access to the tube, Southwark Tube Station, which is on the jubliee line, is just 5 minutes walk away and buses no.45 and no63 are just 2 minutes walk away.
There is a Tesco local located next door to the hotel and bars/pubs and a Nando's within easy walking distance.
I have previosly stayed in Travelodge hotels in the past and I have always had good experiences.
My stay at this Travelodge, was very disappointing. I was allocated room 712, which is located on the top floor. I had read that the hotel was recently renovated so I was expecting a reasonable statndard, I was wrong.The room backs onto train tracks, so you do experience train noise throughout the night, this didn't bother me.
What I found unacceptable was the following;
1) Carpet Burn - Looked like from an iron.
2) Bedlinen & Towels not washed properly.
3)Heating was not working properly - During the night I was absolutely freezing. I had to put my cardigan on and place my coat over the duvet.
4) The plumbing in the bathroom - everytime the toilet flushed or you used the shower, an awful loud noise would ensue.

The positives for this hotel is its location to the City, great staff( especially the receptionist who booked me in, very polite and professional) cleanliness of the room and a great comfortable bed.

I was happy to check out and was glad that I didn't opt for the option of a two night stay here.

Hopefully, the hotel management can iron out this little issues and then this would be a good budget choice in the City.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Bettyboop809
TravelodgeUK, Dianne from Customer Care at Travelodge London Central Southwark, responded to this reviewResponded 23 December 2013

We are really sorry to learn of the problems you experienced during your stay Bettyboop809. Our linens and towels should always be cleaned to high standards and we’d also expect the facilities within our rooms to be in good working order. We want our customers to be comfortable and we are truly sorry to hear that your room was cold. The heaters should be working and our customers may also request for extra duvets and blankets from reception. We’d like to investigate the concerns you have raised, please visit the contact us section on our website and please be sure to indicate you have left a TripAdvisor review.

Reviewed 18 December 2013

Hideous night. Between the air con that began gurgling of it's own accord and the repeated drone and groan of what was either dodgy pipe work or something terribly wrong the cupboard next to my room I had approx 2 hours sleep.

From 6am this bizarre noise became almost constant.

I spoke to reception who said they know there is a issue with the pipes in the building and offered me an e-voucher. After that sleepless night I want a refund and an e-voucher.

Avoid this hotel until these issues are sorted or take earplugs!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 December 2013

Booked this hotel in August managed to get a good deal, £65 for 2 nights, situated in the central London, not even a 3 minute walk to the nearest tube station. there are quite a few local shops and pubs situated near the hotel.
The staff are friendly however I advise not having breakfast in there as there are many cafes near by are for £3 you can pick up a coffee and bacon roll.
I would stay here, however I wouldn't pay more than £35 a night as there aren't many tourist attractions near it.

Room Tip: book early
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Mike R
Reviewed 17 December 2013

This is by far one of the nicest Travelodges we have stayed in. Its very close to tube stations although we walked most of the time (nothing better than crossing the bridges over the Thames of an evening) We were extremely lucky to get room 602, which had fantastic views, the shard was directly in front of our window. The room was really lovely with clean, fresh smelling bed linen, the bed was really comfy too. The bathroom was spotless with nice fluffy towels, and a nice shower with hot water. It does seem strange to have reception on the first floor, but I think it's much better as you don't get the smell of smoke wafting through where people stand outside smoking. It was well worth the money, and we would stay here again.

Room Tip: 602 with its fantastic view
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank itfclady
Reviewed 17 December 2013

Arrived about 20 mins before check in with a very tired little girl and was told we couldn't check in unless we paid extra, then they demanded £1 to leave our case. I hadn't had a chance to withdraw any money and had to rummage round for money and even had to accept some from another guest. Anyway, when we came back to check in, there was a queue of about 10 people and NO ONE on reception and no one in the bar area (where there was a sign telling people that they should contact someone at reception if no-one was there). Anyway after waiting for about 15 minutes, two members of staff turned up. It was at this point I noticed a sign saying that they'd like people to contribute a £1 'donation' per bag left, which was for charity!

So we checked into our room, which looked ok (apart from the bill being overflowing with rubbish and only being 2 towels for 3 of us). Bed time was awful - the beds were really hard (I've stayed in plenty other Travelodges and they were all fine). The worst part of it though was the noise - seriously, every time anyone turned on a hot tap it sounded like a fog horn! This went on throughout the night and we hardly got any sleep.

Will never stay in this particular Travelodge again, it was awful.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
TravelodgeUK, Amy from Customer Care at Travelodge London Central Southwark, responded to this reviewResponded 20 December 2013

Thank you for your review Paula S. Our London Southwark hotel have been raising money for the Macmillan Cancer Support charity and our guests have the opportunity to donate money to use our luggage facilities, this donation is optional so we are truly sorry you felt it was compulsory. It is regrettable to learn our staff were not available to assist you at all times, on occasion they may not be at the desk as they will need to complete other tasks however there will be a buzzer at reception to alert them and we do expect our staff to arrive at the desk as soon as possible. Our rooms should be fully serviced and set up correctly with the correct amount of towels so we are sorry that you did not have enough towels on this occasion and that the bin had not been emptied. We’ll be sure to pass on your feedback to our Hotel Manager so they can address these issues. We have recently refreshed up our hotel and put in brand new pocket sprung beds in every room and we have received some great feedback, however we are aware that our guests may have different preferences on the firmness of a mattress.

Reviewed 16 December 2013

We states at this Travelodge for just one night on a short trip to London, with my 18 month old son. We have stayed in a number of travelodges, and this one is modern, clean and well located for Southwark tube station (2 minutes walk) and therefore all of London's amenties.

Unfortunately, our visit was somewhat let down by some issues that should not be experienced in a family friendly hotel. When we made the booking, i was concerned by information on the website that said that baby cots are of limited availability. This was essential for us, so prior to making the booking, I called the hotel to check, as would have booked elsewhere if there was a possibility that we would not be able to get a baby cot. We were reassured by the person on the phone that although they were on a first come first served basis, if I rang approximaltey 2 weeks prior to my stay, a note could be made on our reservation. We were also told that in the unlikely event they ran out, it would not be a problem as there are many travelodges in London and they would just borrow one from another hotel.

On our arrival, we checked in promptly at the start of check in time. The lady checking us in told me they could see the note on my reservation for a baby cot, and advised me that they would get the cot sent up to my room during the afternoon. We dropped our bags into our room, and then went out for the rest of the afternoon before returning after our evening meal, expecting our baby cot to be there. It wasn't! I went down to reception and the receptionist went off to look for one. 10 minutes later he came back, apologised and told me that there wasn't one. He told me he could provide me with bedding to make up the single bed in our room. I explained that my son was only 18 months, had never slept in a proper bed, nor was I about to let him ( Travelodge beds are quite high off the floor). He then told me that he would ring other hotels and try and see if they had any. It was already way past my sons bedtime. Eventually, 1 hour 30 minutes later, a baby cot arrived to our room and we were left trying to put it together at 21:30 with my son asleep in my bed

Just to top it off, when we went down for our breakfast in the morning, we asked the staff member who greeted us in the breakfast room for a high chair. She told me that they didn't do high chairs. How can a hotel that are supposedly family friendly not have one single high chair? I went to complain to reception and was told they did have one, and promptly brought it through to us. Bit of training for staff??

If you are staying at this hotel without young children, then I would say that this hotel is ideal if you are looking for a clean comfortable and cheap hotel. However, if you are staying with young children, I would suggest booking elsewhere. The impression I got was that staff saw young children as a bit of incovienience to them

1  Thank Markavo1
TravelodgeUK, Sophie from Customer Care at Travelodge London Central Southwark, responded to this reviewResponded 20 December 2013

We are sorry to learn of your dissatisfaction during your recent stay with us Markavo1. Our hotels are family friendly so we are truly sorry that you felt the hotel did not provide a friendly welcome and good service during your stay. It is a requirement that if a guest requests a cot before their stay then it should be in their room before their arrival so we are truly sorry of the problems you had, we also do also provide high chairs in the bar café so it is regrettable to learn you were told otherwise. We will be sure to pass on your comments to the Hotel Management team so that they are able to address these issues and remind the staff of the importance of customer care. Thank you for your feedback.