“Better than Expected”

Travelodge London Central Southwark
Ranked #413 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed 12 June 2014

We stayed 11 nights in May and were given a room facing the railway with a view of the Shard. The noise did not bother us. Staff were very helpful. The room, although sparsely furnished as is customary in a Travelodge, was quite large enough for my family of three. The location is fantastic, 3 minutes from the Tube -- very convenient. There were 3 grocery stores within walking distance as well as many pubs and other places to eat.

Room Tip: Our room overlooked the railway and had a lovely view of the Shard.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 12 June 2014

I had a room backing on to the railway line, and I thought I was going to have a noisy stay but nothing could have been further from the truth. The double glazing was good and the hotel generally was very quiet.
The room was clean, and all that you would expect of a decent, well managed Travelodge.
The location is very convenient for the excellent restaurants around Borough Market - all within walking distance.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Good location, handy to Tube and Waterloo. Pubs close by for meals and drinks.Good clean property, overall good value for money.Extremely polite and helpful staff.Easy access to city centre and attractions.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Travelodge
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Firstly, the staff here are excellent; friendly, helpful and apologetic - I assume they must get a lot of practise! Secondly,the location is great if you want this end of town, and is only 2 minutes walk from Southwark tube station. Thirdly, the breakfast food is of a good quality, offering the usual cereals (all individually boxed) grapefruit and orange segments, croissants, muffins, toast, yoghurt and the full English.

I am afraid this is where the positives end. The breakfast service was chaotic, with no crockery or glasses available; the food was replenished, but with a delay each time. This meant that guests were spending more time than normal in the room, causing queues with others waiting for a table.

We would not normally have stayed at a Travelodge, but the room was booked for us (we were not paying), but we booked an extra room for our daughter and son-in-law to join us (which we did pay for, £132 for a Saturday night with breakfast). The first room we went to had not been made up; the second still had occupants. The third was Ok, but it was not until we returned late at night that we realised it had no curtains; I know Travelodge offers basic accommodation, but this was a bit too lacking in the basics!! Apologies to anyone who had to view us minus clothing. The bathroom had just a shower which was not very good, the bed was not very comfy and although there is an open space to hang clothes (with good quality wooden hangers), there is nowhere to put anything else, e.g. underwear, book, etc. Hairdryers, irons and ironing boards are freely available at reception and the mirror in our room was close to the double socket, had a light above it and was fine for hairdrying purposes. There was also another almost full length mirror too.

Our room did overlook the railway, but we were not disturbed by any noise from it, just by other guests returning around 2 a.m.

It is a shame as the staff are, without exception, very friendly and helpful, right down to giving us a refund of £50 for the lack of curtains - and not in the form of a voucher either, which was refreshing. However, I cannot recommend this hotel; there are better hotels in more central places for this price.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TheValients
Reviewed 7 June 2014

Don't stay here if you want any sleep. Entrance via shabby doorway off Union Street. Room clean and a decent size (minimal decor, no toiletires/hairdryer etc as you come to expect in a back to basics Travelodge) but oh my God, SO NOISY! Air con in the room sounded like a Harrier Jump Jet taking off. But outside noise was even worse - first room (714) next to train track (may as well have been on it), second room (327 I think?) overlooking noisy pub with outdoor seating....use Premier Inn round the corner. Turns out their "good night guarantee" is worth paying a few extra quid for.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Travelodge
1  Thank samstent
Reviewed 6 June 2014 via mobile

My husband snores!

This is relevant in that when I travel anywhere for business I judge anywhere on whether I can actually sleep and wake up refreshed.

Sadly not here for me. What with a continually gurgling shower plug hole and the fact I can only have been a few meters from the train track (with no net curtain!), I did not sleep well.

Ok I am a light sleeper and the noise isn't loud by any standard but it did keep me awake for most of the night.

Most frustratingly it beggars belief that a chain the size of travelodge does not appear to have consulted any females on the design of their rooms. There is only 1 double plug in the room and it's nowhere near a mirror. My hairdryer did not reach (my own dryer as they don't provide them) so I had to dry my hair blind. My straighteners have a 3m cable and with some acrobatics I could just about see in 2 inches of mirror. So my most helpful tip is to take items with a long cable if you want to see in a mirror!

I stayed on business but would chose somewhere else for leisure.

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank glitterbomb4ever
Reviewed 4 June 2014

To be fair I don't know how much we paid for the hotel as it was part of a package with theatre and trains etc. for my wife's 30th birthday. We got back to the hotel around 11.30 and slept fantastically in a very clean and comfortable room. Travelodge are what they are. Good quality simple accommodation. Breakfast was great too! Was also only very short walk from Southwark tube.

Room Tip: Room 303 was great.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple